Bravia Full HD won't show pc via HDMI on 1080p but will on 720p

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello,

I just bought a Sony Bravia KDL-40HX800 tv and I tried to hook up my pc to it using hdmi to hdmi. The problem is that my tv won't show 1080p but it will show 720p. Both machines use a resolution of 1920x1080 so it shouldn't be an issue. The PC runs on Win7 64bit.

I changed the Hz to anything from 24Hz to 60Hz and it made no difference, it just doesn't show anything on 1080.

In my computer I have an Asus Ati Radeon (EAH)5770 HD card if that helps. I updated my drivers but that hasn't helped the issue. Does anyone have any Idea how to solve this problem?

By the way I contacted Sony and they said it's probably an issue with the pc because my PS3 works fine with gaming as well as blurays.

Thanks everyone and I hope someone else has had the same issue and more importantly; solved it! :)

P.S. I hope I post this in the correct categorie, if not please say so. Thanks

Solution
earlier on you mentioned something about changing it from 24 to 60 so The first thing I would try is 1080p24, no ?

then you say this.......

If you want to add a modified HDTV setting, you apply a 720p or 1080i standard setting, click "Add" and modify the rectangle until the background is only slightly visible.)

so if the first doesn't work/1080p-24 the I would add the 720/1080 and modify the rectangle...... I assume the slider which should fill the screen for you.

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Ok so, I went into windows safemode
uninstalled the card
rebooted in normal mode
downloaded and installed the latest drivers

No luck. No changes, it's still not possible to show a 1080 desktop on my tv. This is now getting increasingly frustrating...

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Well I didn't change it from 24 to 60, I just tried everything from 24 to 60.

The weird thing is, the tv sometimes shows 1080p24 in the upper left corner when switching over or duplicating the screen, but when it says 1080p24 it's still only 1280x720. Switching it manually on the computer to 1920x1080 makes the screen go black.

In the AMD vision control center, it says "My digital displays" on the left side (it's in Dutch for me so please pardon any mistakes).
When I click it and go to HDTV support (digital display), I can select all sorts of HDTV modes with checkboxes in front of them. It starts at "Add 720p60 to display (NTSC)" all the way over to "Add 1080p50 to display (PAL)" (1080p24 (HD) and 1080P60 (NTSC) are before that one).

(Description, translated by yours truly: These options are for displays for which incomplete or incorrect EDID information is reported. A classification that you select is added to the menu button "Force" in "Manage Displays".)

Also below those "options" are the "predefined and modified HDTV-settings" which apparently allow the user to add an modified/extra/personal setting if the digital screen is set up for 720p or 1080i as standard setting.

The only option being "1080p60 standard (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)"

(Description, translated by yours truly: If the digital display is set up for a 720p or 1080i standard setting and parts of the image are not visible, you can make a modified setting.

If you want to add a modified HDTV setting, you apply a 720p or 1080i standard setting, click "Add" and modify the rectangle until the background is only slightly visible.)

Does this all mean anything to you, Swifty? Maybe I should force 1080p60?

earlier on you mentioned something about changing it from 24 to 60 so The first thing I would try is 1080p24, no ?

then you say this.......

so if the first doesn't work/1080p-24 the I would add the 720/1080 and modify the rectangle...... I assume the slider which should fill the screen for you.

Solution

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hey Swifty, well great news, well, news.

I got 1080/24 on my tv! That's great. Slight issue though, because it's 24Hz the mouse has a lot of lag. But I guess that's a problem that can't be solved, as 60Hz results in an empty screen.

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The 24Hz thing is pretty crappy. I started Rage and got a lot of screen tearing on the TV and none on the PC monitor. So 1080 Skyrim on 40" of goodness seems out of the question, right?

What also interests me is the fact that I can't seem to get the desktop only on the TV, I can only duplicate it, which I can imagine is pretty straining on my pc, to punch out to 1080 games. Or doesn't it work like that?

I'd like to add that I very very much appreciate your help so far. Thank you very much, Swifty.

i'm no guru at this stuff and really can't odder anymore advice. If I had it in front of me I could mess with it. Anyways, you can try forcing refresh rates and mess with the settings until you can find something that works better. I have a bravia and I can get what i need to make it work right........... and I think I actually did have to use the slider to scale to the actual screen size. Perhaps if you lower the res to 720p and go from there... ???.......... 720p with 60hz refresh rate....... see if that works............ or it just may be the tv only refreshes at 24hz and that's going to be that.

what if you called Sony ?

hanskleinenberg

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Hey I understand and I'm glad you've helped me so far.
I did call Sony and they think, because my PS3 works fine, that it has something to do with my graphics card. Which kinda makes sense. I can still get a guy from Sony over here but if there's nothing wrong with my tv, than I still get a bill, so I was hoping it didn't have to come to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.