mrcaudill5468

Honorable
Mar 21, 2018
So I have a pretty decent PC, it was very recently built. My specs are on this link, along with my monitors: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WWK6QP

I have my second monitor, the LG one, plugged into a secondary outlet with an extension cord because there aren't enough wall outlets next to my PC to plug it into. A while back, during gaming my breaker would very frequently trip, and I replaced the extension cord and didn't have the problem for a while and then it arose again a month or two later. I completely unplugged my second monitor in september and haven't had my breaker trip since. I even recently got a mini fridge for my room and have had no issues during intense gaming sessions. However, after plugging my second monitor into the new extension cord, my breaker tripped almost immediately.

My question is this: Is it possible that my LG monitor is trying to draw too much power for some reason and it's causing my breaker to trip? I can't imagine how or why it would be but I have no idea how to fix this and I really would like to use my second monitor. Any help would be much appreciate.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you need a decent surge suppressor/power strip.

Could be something wrong with the monitor or extension cord causing it to draw a lot of power. Does either get really warm?

If the breaker is tripping that means an over current situation in the wiring for that circuit. If you say a mini-fridge is no problem, but the monitor is, then something is definitely amiss.

If you aren't experienced, you may want to consider a professional electrician.

mrcaudill5468

Honorable
Mar 21, 2018
Sounds like you need a decent surge suppressor/power strip.

Could be something wrong with the monitor or extension cord causing it to draw a lot of power. Does either get really warm?

If the breaker is tripping that means an over current situation in the wiring for that circuit. If you say a mini-fridge is no problem, but the monitor is, then something is definitely amiss.

If you aren't experienced, you may want to consider a professional electrician.
Neither gets particularly warm, and I just hooked up the new surge protector/power strip that I bought today and it pretty much tripped the breaker on boot. I also have the mini fridge plugged into the same outlet as the power strip too.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Neither gets particularly warm, and I just hooked up the new surge protector/power strip that I bought today and it pretty much tripped the breaker on boot. I also have the mini fridge plugged into the same outlet as the power strip too.
If it only trips using that one monitor then I would say bad monitor.

You could swap it out for your other monitor to test it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That was just so you don't have to use an extension cord, which is not a good long term solution.

Worst case 500W from the PC, monitors/TVs typically under 100W, usually much less.

Mini-fridge should pull about 300W or so on start, but much less when cooling and near zero when idle.

All told, looking at 1000W or so. Well within spec for a typical US household 15A circuit rated for 1500W. It is possible your lighting is also on this circuit, or you are sharing this circuit with another room. The labels in the breaker box should inform you.

I agree, that monitor is looking suspicious. A short through the chassis or something could draw a lot of power and not effect operation.

mrcaudill5468

Honorable
Mar 21, 2018
That was just so you don't have to use an extension cord, which is not a good long term solution.

Worst case 500W from the PC, monitors/TVs typically under 100W, usually much less.

Mini-fridge should pull about 300W or so on start, but much less when cooling and near zero when idle.

All told, looking at 1000W or so. Well within spec for a typical US household 15A circuit rated for 1500W. It is possible your lighting is also on this circuit, or you are sharing this circuit with another room. The labels in the breaker box should inform you.

I agree, that monitor is looking suspicious. A short through the chassis or something could draw a lot of power and not effect operation.
I agree it should be well under what is the minimum for a circuit. My room is on its own circuit, I checked that as well. unfortunately does seem that the monitor is the issue here. No clue how to fix that though. Guessing I will have to buy another monitor to replace it as I don't have another on hand. Weirdly though, this is just since I've moved. At my old house I had no issues like that at all that I can remember