Breaking Down The New Security Flaws In AMD's Ryzen, EPYC Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clamyboy74

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Making articles on a flaw that has little to no credibilty... wow
Also: "AMD’s disregard for fundamental security principles." @Intel meltdown???

Giroro

Splendid
Who paid CTS-Labs to write this report?
I don't think the report is even worth acknowledging until they either prove how they are funded, or until the flaws are validated by a 3rd party.
They clearly weren't trying to claim any kind of bug bounty, as they went public without giving AMD a chance to fix it.

Willyfisch

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Viceroy Research. They are a very shady short seller company (I don't even know who's behind them, might be just 1 person).
Look at their other shorts, like the -75% on Pro Sieben.
They are suggesting AMD's fair value to be at $0 in their very professionally made research paper (irony).
https://viceroyresearch.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/amd-the-obituary-13-mar-2018.pdf

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
What is amazing is how every online media outlet is reporting on a piece from ONE source that has been in business for 7 months. The research company started up just before the Spectre and Meltdown flaws were released and now we have 13 AMD ONLY flaws and no mention at all about ANY possible Intel or ARM exploits either.

Tom's Hardware has ZERO Journalistic Integrity.

https://imgur.com/OkWlIxA

I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN this entire piece is Securities Fraud and Tom's Hardware is a very willing participant. TH did not vet the source nor did they CHECK ANY FACTS.

Somehow I doubt this is fake news as some are suggesting here, as AMD would wring them out to their last cent if this report were a fabrication;
as it will affect their share price, their reputation and consumer confidence in their products.

Giroro

Splendid
"amd would wring them out to there last cent if this report is a fabrication"

We will see what AMD does. it takes more than a day to analyze the report, test the allegations, prove fraud, and then file an (international) lawsuit. That could take months, at which point the alleged security company could be long-gone - meaning there is nobody left to sue.
Until AMD or a third party confirms it, there isn't any proof that the security flaws actually exist. I'm not saying that to defend AMD, but you always have to be skeptical when it comes to the news. "pics or it didn't happen" is an important tradition in a post-internet world. Until somebody proves that all of these accusations are true, then it doesn't hold any more weight than any random youtuber or conspiracy nut with a blog.

I think Tom's does everyone a disservice when they print stories like this which cite only 1 dubious source.

If AMD sues this company all they do is make it more of a story and add more fuel to the fire. Best they can do is research the said flaws themselves and address them if they are real quietly.

I would assume AMD will go after the people involved if the company goes out of business and it turns out to be fake.

Some of the other articles I've read have shown the staff so the people involved are identifiable and will be held liable regardless of the companies status i would think.
if they're legit then AMD is in trouble, that's for sure.

Co BIY

Splendid
This story is garbage.

"CTS" in their "Disclaimer" made clear that all their information came from public sources and not original research. They are in no way a real computer security company and state that they own interests effected by the story they created.

It makes the work of Russian bots seem subtle.

I agree that Tom's should not be propagating this info.

dorianh94

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I have to agree, there is no real evidence for now, it's just someone trying to sh** all over AMD. Why not write an article about Intel CPU's all having integrated ARM processors inside for all sorts of purposes, one of them being SMART connect - also a hardware backdoor, implemented by Intel intentionally. Let's be clear, even if there's proof for Chimera backdoor being a real threat, I'd hold a grudge against AMD for that, because those things are almost always intentional.

To be clear, I am not a fanboy, just don't like shit article like this one.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
So during the time Intel knew it's CPUs were affected by Meltdown, but before it was made public, Intel happily continued to sell its affected CPUs. media outlets are not calling them out on that fact.
but those same media outlets will dump out accusations of AMD security flaws, without scientific evidence.

trashpandacoder

Commendable
Jan 13, 2018
I would be more interested in an investigative reporter tracing the funding of they new "research organization" as I suspect Intel is behind it.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

"...address them ...quietly..."? What is wrong with you? If allegations were right, addressing can not be "quietly" by no means.

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
REDDITT has A huge Fake News thread and more than one calls CTS a stock manipulator - & further notes the CEO of CTS runs a hedge fund [shorting AMD].
???

Status
Not open for further replies.