Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2020
So the laptop (ROG Zephyrus S GX531GS <==> i7, GTX1070, 16GBDDR ram, 512GBNVMe M.2 SSD) randomly died with no signs of functionality what so ever, even the charging indicator LED doesn't light up. After a week long of diagnosis at the official ROG service, they said a full motherboard replacement was required since replacing battery and other components didn't help, quoted price for the repair is 1700$ which is insane for i7 and GTX1070. So I took back the laptop and opened it up to see if there's any visible cue of some damage and I found this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/vPAcjMC

The burnt component is similar to the one to its immediate left, I've pretty much zero knowledge about components(a total NOOB, though I have basic understanding of electronic components but not enough that I can identify the units on the motherboard, some experience with soldering too!).

If someone can help me identify the components and how to go about repairing my laptop would be crazy amazing!

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
First off, welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Second, I'd advise not to do a repair job on the laptop unless you know a certified technician or at the very least someone who is adept with a soldering iron and can replace the SMD part for part. Yes 1,700USD is the same cost of buying a new laptop.

With regards to the laptop, you might also want a certified technician to take a look at the entire board, chances are that, that's not the only VRM.SMD you will need to repair. Often times parts and capacitors look fine but are often dead within.

Oct 3, 2020
Thank you for the quick response!

I have taken your advice and contacted a near by technician to whom I forwarded the same image. I've been asked to visit the store to further investigate the issue with the board for a day and then I'll be informed to if it can be repaired and what caused the issue in the first place.

Edit: In case I get the same response from that technician too, then do you think getting the motherboard replaced a good idea? Or do I resort to getting one of the newer ones with 30series GPU, I'm more inclined to the latter thought since I don't think it sounds right to spend 1700$ on old hardware.

Last edited:
I see a blown up capacitor and likely a shot shoulder. 1700 for the entire board since the official service does not take responsibility for its repair - there might be many shot components down the road as a result of this happening and it takes long hours to find and replace them all.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Dec 10, 2020
Have you found a solution? Other than replacing the whole board? I have the same problem happened a week ago. It's better to buy a new one than give someone 1700 I guess..

Oct 3, 2020
Hey @romulow , sorry for the late reply, but I haven't found any solution to fixing it other than getting the whole board replaced.

I am going to give it a go trying to get a set of new components that were broken and resoldering it so that I can use it as a secondary pc if fixed else its dead anyways. But first I need help trying to figure out the components, the one beside the burnt capacitor(two of them with [+] E7/EU) written on top) @Lutfij @vov4ik_il and some pointers for well known component sellers

Thank you!

(two of them with [+] E7/EU) written on top)
Are capacitors too, different type ones (tantalum polymer by looks, check catalogs, probably Panasonic).

well known component sellers
I used those two, they are quick and reliable but not the cheapest ones.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021
which is insane for i7 and GTX1070. So I took back the laptop and opened it up to see if there's any visible cue of some damage and I found this.
Hello,

Do you find out any solution yet? I also have the same case. My Asus Zephyrus also died with no sign. And local ASUS agent ask me to replace the main board at $1.300.

Aug 25, 2021
So the laptop (ROG Zephyrus S GX531GS <==> i7, GTX1070, 16GBDDR ram, 512GBNVMe M.2 SSD) randomly died with no signs of functionality what so ever, even the charging indicator LED doesn't light up. After a week long of diagnosis at the official ROG service, they said a full motherboard replacement was required since replacing battery and other components didn't help, quoted price for the repair is 1700$ which is insane for i7 and GTX1070. So I took back the laptop and opened it up to see if there's any visible cue of some damage and I found this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/vPAcjMC

The burnt component is similar to the one to its immediate left, I've pretty much zero knowledge about components(a total NOOB, though I have basic understanding of electronic components but not enough that I can identify the units on the motherboard, some experience with soldering too!).

If someone can help me identify the components and how to go about repairing my laptop would be crazy amazing!

Thanks!
Just came across this post by accident, and I would like to share what happened to me last year. I had a Zephyrus GM501 (I think?) with 8750H and 1070 (purchased in mid-2018 I think).

And it was around the same time, ie, the first week of October 20, it suddenly decided to just die on me and since it has passed the warranty period there was nothing I could do.

I was playing half-life Alyx at the time and all temps were well under control. I took the whole thing apart and found absolutely nothing that is wrong with it (changed the thermal paste, but nothing conductive, just plain old thermal paste). However, after testing everything around the CPU power delivery everything just shows "0" and my best guess is that the chip has been fried. It would be insane to pay a good 1700 dollars to get it fixed especially since you could buy a new generation laptop that is better in every way with that kind of money at that point.

And yes, I am really disappointed at ASUS and will try to see if there is anyone I could contact to just replace what is broken at a reasonable price. At the end of the day, it would be kind of wasteful to just throw the perfectly fine laptop (well except what is broken) away as E-waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.