Broadwell: Intel Core i7-5775C And i5-5675C Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intelia

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Xenol why are you being dishonest, First its a 20% differance, When buying a cpu do we not Comparer CPU performance? You talk like we are only getting a Igpu for our money . We are also getting 2x cpu performance differance. AMDs best APU WITH CPU isn't even in the same league as Intel . I just don't get why food pricies are increasing . or everthing else in the world is inflating . Intel has to spend billions every 2 years to upgrade the Fabs. Does GM FORD NV. Look at NV gpu prices talk about inflating pricies . Yet all the AMD people say look at our fantasic pricies on our craptastic APUs . People are Strange . Skylake is going to be great for me . I will never have to spend $500+ for a dgpu again . Smaller cooler case of course water cooled.

You wax lyrical about the integrated graphics. To use your own phrase, "yawn". WHo really runs integrated graphics on their desktops, except for office, browser and low-end gaming? Most people I know and most custom-built PCs have stand-along graphics cards and all the investment and R&D of integrated graphics are wasted on us.

That's why I'd rather run a low-end Xeon that is by all accounts equivalent to the i7, but lacks the IGP.

Intelia

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

There are other web sites that review these AT for instance . I do believe they have something up

Intelia

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Your kidding me Right. Are you trying to tell me . That your little tiny world is a selling point. LOL at Out of touch . For 99% of users this is good enough . I don't look for this Cpu to be a great seller . But Skylake is only a few months off . I not allowedf to talk about generation 9 gpu . But this isn't that impressive after you know whats coming in Aug. Sept. . LOL

wexton

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
are these numbers real?.............Not only does it match lower mid range cards, but it completely destorys AMD's APUs........
:shock:

Yea, go look at the price's that they are supposed to be released at, at least double the price of the a A10-7850k I would hope so.

Because you can't get a desktop Haswell GT3e part, this is the first one you can actually get for a LGA socket. Either way it would still perform better, it has 20% more EUs and such.

Still the article does state the exact feelings, if you have anything Sandy Bridge or newer then this is pointless for you as Skylake is just around the corner and probably going to be much more in terms of a performance boost for everyone.

What I do like about this is the idea of a HTPC chip. Mine is getting a tad old and I think my HD5450 is going out because it acts funky.

InvalidError

Titan

Enthusiasts and high-end gamers represent less than 10% of the home PC market. For most of the remaining 90%, HD6200 is a major step towards good-enough territory. However, most lower-midrange gamers do not buy $300 CPUs, so there appears to be a significant mismatch between the price tag and what should have been the target audience. There needs to be a ~$180 i3 and ~$220 i5 with HD6200 Pro.

Hopefully, AMD's Zen APUs will come out with HBM next year and force Intel to reconsider that.

Not sure on the i3 but there is an i5 with the Iris Pro 6200 for $244. Not that bad considering that you are cutting the cost of a low end discrete GPU and also cutting power requirements meaning smaller form factor and less heat.

Considering the cost behind HBM though I doubt it will come out cheap and if it performs better in both aspects, CPU and GPU, then it will price accordingly.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
i7-5775C $366

i5-5675C $276

Cherry Picked Testing here, but Anandtech has more real world testing and pricing.

Skylake holds the most potential going forward.

I think Intel saw what a great idea the APU from AMD was, have swiveled their massive R&D cannons into position, and fired. For AMD's sake, HBM better be good, or they might end up toast this time; which would be a shame.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Think DX12 guys!

Explicit Multiadapter!!!! http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12-will-be-able-to-use-your-integrated-gpu-to-improve-performance/

Things get more complicated with Explicit Multiadapter, which is new in DX12. Explicit Multiadapter will have two distinct API patterns: Linked GPUs and Unlinked GPUs. Linked GPUs refer to the special pairing of specific hardware, similar to what we're familiar with via SLI and Crossfire. DirectX 12 will view linked GPUs as a single GPU, allowing them to collaborate more closely and share resources in each other's rendering pipeline.
Unlinked GPUs, meanwhile, will allow systems to benefit from, say, installing an Nvidia card alongside one from AMD, as was rumored a few months ago. It will also allow systems with a dedicated GPU to take advantage of onboard graphics, which is the biggest feature Microsoft is touting.

i didn't understand this part. what processors are you comparing?
i assume it's the a10 7850k (or the new a10 7870k) against these broadwell cpus. the 7870k has launched at $137 (dunno the retail price). these have other differences. the bdw parts support DDR3L ram, fussy mobos will refuse to operate if you use wrong kind of ram. i searched newegg - all the 1.35v kits are for laptops (SO-DIMM). the kaveri apus support vanilla DDR3, albeit up to 2400 MT/s. i have a strong suspicion that these bdw processors are actually mobile dies with pch disabled and has only 8x pcie gen 3.0 lanes instead of 16 seen in other mainstream intel i5/i7 cpus. the lowest iris pro part is $245~. that's the bga i5, so you don't have to buy the mobo. but the socket i5 5675c is listed at $276 - making it poor value. for that money (i.e. for the cpu price alone), you can get a 7870k and have $139 for other parts. if you're concerned about power use, you can move down to 65w, A10 7800 for $131. the bdw parts aren't 2x faster for 2x price (i know it's a bit absurd comparison).

i didn't quite get the psu bit, but psu shouldn't be any issue and an A10 78xx user won't necessarily need a psu change unless the user is o.c.ing. thanks to intel's pricing, processor vs processor, amd leaves quite a bit of change on the table should users go the dgfx route or upgrade the psu. comparing the i7 to this just tips the favor further to amd's direction.

exception: you don't just need the igpu performance, you need the cpu performance (primary concern) and you got money to spend. bdw becomes the better option.

intel has had the raw igpu performance lead since the first iris pro desktop parts launched. the a10 7850k wasn't a consistent winner against the hd5200.

The IGP numbers are not really that surprising: Broadwell's HD6200 has twice as many EUs and they are backed by a 128MB Crystalwell chip providing 100GB/s of memory bandwidth. No wonder it destroys APUs that rely exclusively on DDR3 (25-40GB/s) and gives lower-midrange 128bits GDDR5 GPUs (~100GB/s) a run for their money.

Bringing IGP memory on-package is a game-changer - the beginning of the end for low-end discrete GPUs.

Since Broadwell fared excessively well in benchmarked titles, more demanding titles should have been thrown at it with more demanding options - 122fps in GTA-V low-720p looks like a walk in the park for the 6200. I would have bumped that up to at least low-1080p which is a typical low-end desktop resolution these days and would reduce visible aliasing along with eliminating re-scaling aberrations.

So with the settings on low that 100MB is enough but crank up the settings and add some AA and watch the performance drop like a rock as the 100MB is full and the rest of the system floods the igpu with more data than it can handle.

InvalidError

Titan

The extra cost and complexity of HBM is likely in the same ballpark as CrystalWell, so I would expect AMD's HBM APUs to end up in the neighborhood of $200-250 too. However, HBMv2 should be over three times as fast and be 8X as large as the CW chip per stack, so I would expect AMD's HBM APUs to be considerably faster if AMD chooses to push their higher-end APUs as viable GPU-less mid-range gaming systems.

With HBM, an APU with R9-490X graphics would be technically feasible and of course, such a hypothetical monster with 4GB of HBM would get priced accordingly.

Imagine if future "discrete GPUs" ended up becoming APUs with their CPU cores disabled since the GPU and shared structures (cache, memory controllers, PCIe lanes, internal busses, etc.) account for 80-95% of the die area - cheaper to write off 5-20% of the die area than create a completely separate product at the high-end.

There hasn't been so much potential for disruptive changes in the PC industry in over six years.

[strike]From my understanding, these are the ONLY two models we'll see for Broadwell desktop.[/strike]

EDIT: That understanding was based off old rumor era info. I have been corrected: 5 Mobile, 5 desktop, and 5 Xeons... but still nothing less than an i5 branding. Xeons don't have a release date yet.

My point on the CPU wise was, yes comparing the A10, it requires additional GPU power to give the same performance therefore the price/performance goes down. Just like back when Intel had crappy IGPs and needed a low end discrete GPU to equal performance.

And my PSU point was that the Broadwell setup will require less power than a setup with a discrete GPU therefore you can theoretically go with a smaller PSU and form factor.

It would be interesting however it would also highly depend on how the GPU is setup and if software will ever tae advantage of it. I guess only time will tell.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-reveals-broadwell-cpus-computex,29249.html

They have 5 models.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel crammed extra logic in some of Broadwell's pipeline stages. That eats into timing closure margins and translates into lower attainable clock speeds. A similar thing happened going from SB to IB where the extra logic ate most of the timing margin gains from the die shrink so IB ended up with similar clock frequencies.

Most of the "excess heat" in Haswell is due to the 10-15W extra power dissipation from its integrated voltage regulator when under load, which naturally gets worse with OC.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
In regards to the AMD A10 vs these fight in regards to price to consider is that the AMD chip needs faster memory to achieve better numbers; whereas the Intel does not. I know that there isn't 'that' much of a difference in cost between 1333/1600 and 2400+, but it does add to the overall cost. There is also the factor that the 7850k 'supposedly' runs hot enough to where an after market CPU cooler is strongly recommended; which adds another cost. It may not add up to a $146 difference (276-130); but again the Intel is a faster chip. Can the same be said with an i3 plus HD6200 though?

On a per core level, the Intel chips currently are much faster than AMD's; to where their dual core CPUs have proven competitive to all but AMD's higher end chips (unless the title requires more than 2 cores). AMD's biggest advantage was their APUs graphic performance; which this article shows that they may have just lost. If Intel ends up releasing an i3 or pentium at a competitive price with this HD6200 integrated into it, AMD could very well lose the 'best for price' market as well.

This is why I had said that AMD's next Xen chip better make some decent waves or they could be in a world of trouble.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Sad how Intel managed to beat AMD at their iGPU game. Sad, though not unexpected, given the 2 generation nm different them. Intel's 14 nm is really showing it's strength compared to AMD's mature, but still dated 28 nm.

Even if Carizzo on laptops is everything AMD says it is, it still stands no chance to ULV i5s and i7s.

And on desktop, it's ... Dunno if said. It's not like Broadwell changes anything. AMD still provides more CPU power for less money and Intel provides serious power but requires a premium.

The balance is kept I guess until Skylake/Zen.

Doesn't anyone on here possibly think that AMD might be doing their APUs the same as Intel is doing their CPUs? AMD had zero competition with their APUs for the last 3/4 gens. So, why would AMD just hammer out a 120fps average APU when only small increments are needed when their is a lack of competition. This is no different then what Intel is doing with their CPUs.

Of course I don't know for sure but everyone seems blind to think it. It definitely will be interesting to see AMDs next APU. I'm actually extremely excited for the day to come where I can buy a CPU that I can game with. Upgrade costs will be cut in 1/3s and so will power. My pc will be the size of a external harddrive. The days of modding and liquid cooling are over. Such a waste but, a very cool hobby. The return is so far from worth it now. I miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.