Broadwell: Intel Core i7-5775C And i5-5675C Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan
You can still run a smaller, yet powerful GPU, in a smaller form factor. Gigabyte, Asus, and I think even EVGA, have a smaller single fan version of the GTX 970. I think there is a smaller version for the R9 285, also. You also have cases like the Raven RVZ01B.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hopefully the price will be more reasonable, once skylake finally releases.

Not likely. Intel only have to compere with themselves, so no need to reduce prices... We need competition for that and there is not any at this moment.
It is like putting Jet-engines (14nm) against propels (28nm)... There can not be competition in this situation... *sigh*

Actually the real advantage (giving $100+ more for 20% performance isn't so much an advantage) of a PC with i5 5675C is its upgradability.
If you want after, lets say, one year, to add a serious GPU, the CPU will not bottlenck your future GPU.
74978.png

Umar M

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2013
Proof read your articles. This seems to be an increasing prevalent theme of Tom's over the last couple years.

Seemed to me that the article had backed up its facts with enough proof.....Ohhhh I see. Maybe you should "proof read" your posts.

flogtr

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
are these numbers real?.............Not only does it match lower mid range cards, but it completely destorys AMD's APUs........
:shock:
WOW. In the three games. WOW. Three times more expensive APU is faster. WOW...

flogtr

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Sad how AMD is absolutely shoved into the dust bin. I hope their upcoming Zen next year will be worthwhile with its 14nm process and more Intel-like cores.
There is nothing surprising in the fact that newer technology is sometimes better than older. Why people are surprised by such a fact? By reading some of the comments, it feels almost like AMD has done something "bad" and makes people shocked and upset. Have people already forgotten how for several years APU A10 crushed any Intel Core i5/i7?

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I would really like to see a broadwell i3. The i5 and i7 have always outclassed AMD APU chips in compute performance, but anyone on a really tight budget might go for an A8 apu. An I3 would hit a price point that would kill AMD, which makes me sad....

Having said that, you can now have a good 1080p ULTRA SFF pc without a dedicated gpu. That i5 for SFF tho...... Way to go intel!

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
And another shock is coming. Fiji wont beat Titan and AMD will want 800+ dollars for it. HBM v1 is only 4GB. no one will buy this car. compound the fact all their cards are rebrands except the ram improvement on the 290X . and now the huge loss in APU crown. We have to look at this realistically. AMD may not make it out of 2015!
And that is something I dont want. but I'm not buy a 800 video card that can be beaten by a 980TI and is $200 cheaper! And is inferior until HBM v2.
Sorry AMD, but you cant ask me to do that. Good tech has to be rewarded. and you made a mistake. you havent designed cpu's in years. you havent designed GPU's in a while, and the one you did, you didnt look beyond 2014 when you made the plans on it!
AMD are being incredibly short sighted. They didnt even have a driver team (which is why we didnt get a driver for 10 months)
And marketing and PR has failed as well.
Im really gutted for AMD

Your opinion is based on rumors. Have you not heard the one from Jo down the street. He was saying something something faster then Titan X. This means the Fury card will be faster.

I can build a SFF around the i5 and most SFF cases don't normally have a PCIe slot and if they do, they are normally half height. That is my point. I would love to cut the size of my current HTPC in half and cut out the dGPU.

Mainly people are surprised because of the fact that AMD has almost always performed a bit better than Intel and not long ago many people scoffed at a viable Intel iGPU. compared to the AMD A10, a company that has more experience in GPU technology.

And as I remember it, it was pretty back and forth. Intel would release a new iGPU that did better than AMD, then shortly AMD released a new iGPU that did better. I am honestly expecting AMD to have something half decent up their sleeves but who is to say. Considering the multiple high up changes and drop in even GPU market share recently they might hold off till at least Skylake.

And from a technical aspect, Broadwell is not a new technology. It is a die shrink of Haswell with a few more features. After all, the GT3e Iris Pro had 40EUs and the same 128MB L4 eDRAM. Skylake would be a "new" technology.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
It's a pity there were no overclocking chapters.
I should have added a comment on this in the story, but in short, the overclocking numbers we were seeing from our early processors was terrible. It would not have been representative to include them.

InvalidError

Titan

The boundary between ticks and tocks is blurry since Intel cannot resist the temptation to include a number of architectural enhancements along the way regardless of which one it is doing. Broadwell might officially be a Haswell shrink but it also gained an extra issue port and re-arranged execution port mapping, along with a bunch of other minor tweaks.

With a pure die shrink, there would not have been any IPC gains to report.

Ok this is what I don't get. AMD releases a CPU with an Integrated GPU targeted at low end budget gaming and the respond is "OMG that sucks, nobody does serious gaming without a big dGPU". Intel does the exact same thing and the response is "OMG that's amazing, you could totally game at low settings without a dGPU!". Intel's product does better because it's more expensive, at least $270 for the i5 and $300+ for the i7 model vs $150 for AMD's fastest APU with $135 for the one closet to it and $90 USD for the A8-7600 which is the best value option. $270+ is too much for an integrated option, heck anything over $150 USD is too much for an integrated option, something demonstrated by AMD for the past three generations of APU launches.

The halo effect has gotten out of hand here.

And as I remember it, it was pretty back and forth. Intel would release a new iGPU that did better than AMD, then shortly AMD released a new iGPU that did better. I am honestly expecting AMD to have something half decent up their sleeves but who is to say. Considering the multiple high up changes and drop in even GPU market share recently they might hold off till at least Skylake.

The 78XX lines would of performed better too if AMD had bolted on 128MB of 100GB's memory to them. They would perform even more better if AMD / Intel bolted on 4GB of 256bit GDDR5 to the package or via a back end bus interconnect. Obviously the cost would of shot up, but heck we don't care about that.

We've always known the Iris Pro was a more powerful GPU then the low end radeons used inside AMD's models. This was demonstrated when they were first released for laptops and the conclusion was the same as now, nice bit of technology but the results don't justify the cost and getting a separate dGPU would almost always be better. AMD's options were only viable when they kept the cost low, $150 or less is where the market segment is.

InvalidError

Titan

People buy the $230 i5-4690k even when they have no intention of using the hopeless IGP. With the i5-5675C, they now have an IGP about on par with a $80 discrete GPU for $20 more, which is a fair-enough premium for 128MB of L4 cache when not in use by the IGP.

If you want to match the new i5's performance with AMD parts, you need an A10-7850k or FX-8350 to have a credible match for the i5's computing power and then a $80 discrete GPU to match the i5's IGP, so you still end up spending the better part of $240 on a combo that uses more than twice as much power.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Lol AMD's products depreciate like a Volkswagen Phaeton. The A10-7850K launched at $189.99 USD and 1 year later it's selling at 30% below MSRP. R9 295x2 $1500 USD MSRP, 1 year later, down over 50%.

In contrast, Intel's lineup holds value all the way through the product run straight to EoL. The fact that these companies are even compared is becoming a joke.

The real question is: can AMD continue to find new and innovative ways to bleed money?

And who in their right mind would do that? Define the target market segment because right now there isn't one. Low budget folks aren't spending that much on a CPU. Folks who would spend that much on a CPU would spend more on a decent dGPU. Those who need a powerful CPU but don't need a dGPU would just get the cheaper i5/i7 options. Those who are on a tight enough budget to actually care about integrated graphics would be looking at an APU or a Pentium G + GDDR5 dGPU. So now we'd need someone who wanted a powerful CPU, didn't want to spend $100~150 USD on a dGPU but needed to play games 1080p. I honestly can't see anyone fitting that market segment. This is a paper product, something Intel released in order to claim they have the best integrated solution but which that don't intend to sell many of yet. There isn't even the whole "HSA" argument where upon you'd utilize the extra graphics cores as a sort of coprocessor. I call things like I see them and the positive reactions seem to be purely from a halo effect. Objectively I can't really find a problem that his would solve that couldn't already be solved better by preexisting solutions.

The one area that sticks out is SFF HTPC devices where you need more gaming power then an AMD APU provides and due to form factor limitations you can't stick a half height dGPU into it. These do exist and so need to be acknowledged, but this still seems expensive for that. Now if they released an i3 with this same iGPU for $180 or less, there could be a very solid argument.

anthony8989

Distinguished
And who in their right mind would do that? Define the target market segment

Every single person that buys a pre-built PC off a store shelf. General population to Enthusiast is 10:1. This lineup of products ensures Intel's stranglehold on the market.

TeamBlueRedGreen

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
What are you guys talking about?! When you compare efficiency or "good" something is, you also have to look at performance/price! AMD APUs (which I think are a waste btw) are still less than half off these reviewed. Also, stop talking about the 980 card. The 290X is AMAZING. I'm still doing builds with it, paying around $270-290 each. Crossfire with FreeSync is still cheaper than a 980 but amazing alone. No CF/SLI bridge needed n boom! Back to the POINT, right now, the crown is still on the Intel's Devil's Canyons.

TeamBlueRedGreen

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Sad how AMD is absolutely shoved into the dust bin. I hope their upcoming Zen next year will be worthwhile with its 14nm process and more Intel-like cores.
And another shock is coming. Fiji wont beat Titan and AMD will want 800+ dollars for it. HBM v1 is only 4GB. no one will buy this car. compound the fact all their cards are rebrands except the ram improvement on the 290X . and now the huge loss in APU crown. We have to look at this realistically. AMD may not make it out of 2015!
And that is something I dont want. but I'm not buy a 800 video card that can be beaten by a 980TI and is $200 cheaper! And is inferior until HBM v2.
Sorry AMD, but you cant ask me to do that. Good tech has to be rewarded. and you made a mistake. you havent designed cpu's in years. you havent designed GPU's in a while, and the one you did, you didnt look beyond 2014 when you made the plans on it!
AMD are being incredibly short sighted. They didnt even have a driver team (which is why we didnt get a driver for 10 months)
And marketing and PR has failed as well.
Im really gutted for AMD
What are you guys talking about?! When you compare efficiency or "good" something is, you also have to look at performance/price! AMD APUs (which I think are a waste btw) are still less than half off these reviewed. Also, stop talking about the 980 card. The 290X is AMAZING. I'm still doing builds with it, paying around $270-290 each. Crossfire with FreeSync is still cheaper than a 980 but amazing alone. No CF/SLI bridge needed n boom! Back to the POINT, right now, the crown is still on the Intel's Devil's Canyons.

nvRmnd it's obviously related to graphics, how dumb was my question in retrospect!?!

RNOblivion

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015

Seriously? You don't know what "proof reading" is? I was talking about the grammatical and spelling errors that are so glaring that there's no possible way someone could have not noticed them if they had read the article once.

Status
Not open for further replies.