Broadwell: Intel Core i7-5775C And i5-5675C Review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are these numbers real?.............Not only does it match lower mid range cards, but it completely destorys AMD's APUs........
:shock:

OMG a $270 APU is faster than a $130 one. Who would have thought.
i dont think thats the point, shock that intel came through with some decent gpu performance, not the price performance ratio. Imagine if Intel started making graphics cards again, they actually have a pretty good starting point.

TesseractOrion

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2014
Only price I can see atm in UK is Scan pre-order £226 for i5. For reference, 7870 APU is £110. Was waiting to upgrade G3258 to Broadwell, am disappointed in the latter's apparent lacklustre performance and high-ish price but at least the iGPU is now of bearable quality.

Textfield

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I'd be interested to see how the integrated graphics sector performs against discrete when DirectX 12 / Vulkan arrive and allow developers to heavily optimize for the shared memory architectures.

f688xt6

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
I see comments about how disappointed people are with AMD and it seems to me that the real point of this article is being missed (and wasn't pushed much anyway). The fact is that Intel put out a series of (effectively) APU's that can actually do what has been promised over the last few years. Great CPU power with reasonably good GPU power, all in the same package that requires less power and thermal loads than using just the CPU side and a discrete video solution. Couple that with great integration and you have a decent solution for a media server or even some game systems.

Sure the cost is high on the i7's but if you don't have to buy a mid-level video card, it bites less. Plus the thermal solutions and case real estate used can be much much smaller.

I guess I see this as bigger news than it sounds like.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Lol AMD's products depreciate like a Volkswagen Phaeton. The A10-7850K launched at $189.99 USD and 1 year later it's selling at 30% below MSRP. R9 295x2 $1500 USD MSRP, 1 year later, down over 50%.

In contrast, Intel's lineup holds value all the way through the product run straight to EoL. The fact that these companies are even compared is becoming a joke.

The real question is: can AMD continue to find new and innovative ways to bleed money?

What does it tell you when a company doesn't reduce the price of a product despite demand decreasing? Think about that for awhile.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

I think it depends on the price of the new CPUs.
If the previous IRIS5200 are anything to go by, the performance of the IRIS6200 will come at a hefty price (easily 2X that of AMD's 78**)

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Also, perhaps I missed something during my skimming, but was there any testing with openCL GPU compute? I feel like that would have been a good metric to test, if only to have numbers to compare to HSA benchmarks (should they eventually exist... sigh. Someday I'll be a good enough programmer).

dom99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The i7-5775C is listed as a ridiculus £300 in the UK at Scan.co.uk. take £100 off that and ill cosider it

G

are these numbers real?.............Not only does it match lower mid range cards, but it completely destorys AMD's APUs........

I'm getting better CPU performance too for a higher price.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

You know, because APUs are clearly CPU-bottlenecked in gaming. Ever. More CPU performance means nothing if you don't use it - which, fair enough, you might. Just not in gaming.

Both of their prices are way outside the target market for an integrated solution. People are trying to justify, with a straight face, a $270+ USD integrated solution which barely performs at entry level. Integrated solutions don't make sense once you pass the $150 USD mark as it becomes economically better to utilize separate solutions for better overall value. At less then $150 USD, it becomes viable and really shines at under $130 USD. Intel would have to release a Pentium G or an i3 with the Iris Pro 6200 with eDRAM which is simply not happening due to economic reasons. Lets see what next generation brings, Intel is closing the gap with ATI in terms of graphics technology, they have covered a huge amount of ground and I expect parity within the next two years.

InvalidError

Titan

Simple enough: look at how many chips Intel discontinues as products reach their end of market life. Intel does not need to reduce prices because they reduce production and discontinue products before they end up with warehouses to clear as they ramp up production for their next-gen models. The lack of meaningful competition makes this easier to manage since there is effectively no risk of demand for chips at any given price point disappearing overnight.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Consumes between 10-12w, just think if Intel released a chip with with the CPU portion removed and 3 extra Iris Pro 6200 graphics added to the die, that would make a killer sub 50w gpu and they really could take on AMD and Nivida gpu market. It would enable really small and quiet gaming rigs.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Not true at all. For anyone doing an HTPC/light gaming build with a case like this http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure , the Broadwell is perfect for it. This is especially true if you plan on doing Playstation 2 or Wii emulation on it since AMD chips struggle with those emulators.

logainofhades

Titan
One upside, that I really see, that is if you have one of these, and your GPU dies, you still have a somewhat capable IGP to hold you over, until you can get the dedicated card replaced. Though that isn't exactly a problem for me, as my old HD 5850's are still a bit faster than Iris Pro 6200, as they sit somewhere between a 250x and 260x 1gb, performance wise.

And you know this, because...?

(not criticizing, just wondering out-loud)

InvalidError

Titan

How much would you trust overclocking numbers produced on hacked hardware/firmware that was barely stable? With so many issues, unknowns, miscellaneous variables and handicaps involved, I'm guessing their results were all over the shop both in terms of sustainable OCs and benchmark results, so they only felt comfortable going with all-stock numbers.

Anand's review ran into similar issues and went all-stock as well.

This would make some sense, but needed to be detailed in the article. I have not [yet] read Anandtech's piece.

dtangier

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Actually, I is a $270 CPU that is significantly out performing a $250 (FX 9590) using less than half the power that also happens to have the highest performing iGPU on the market.

dtangier

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
"The results of our look at iGPU gaming are clear: Broadwell-DT takes the iGPU performance crown from AMD's APUs. The advantage will vary with the game, but with an average lead of 20% and never once falling behind AMD's APUs, the i5-5675C and its Iris Pro 6200 are clearly the faster option. Ultimately nothing here should be a surprise to AMD - what's changed is not the existence of Iris Pro, but rather the fact that it now comes in a socketed form factor - but for system builders this represents a new option for building a system driven solely by its iGPU.

That said, with a price tag around 2x the cost of AMD's best APU, this is a very expensive way to get another 20%. Combining another CPU with a discrete GPU is almost certainly going to be a better option as far as cost effectiveness goes. But as far as integrated GPUs go Intel does hold the top position."

Sorry TH, AnandTech made it better this time.

Anandtech did not include the FX 9590 -- so you have a processor for 20 bucks more (270 vs 250 bucks) wiping the floor with amd's top processor at less than half the power consumption that also happens to have the highest performing iGPU on the market. AMD looks pretty pathetic at the moment. No wonder they lose hundreds of millions each quarter.

caqde

Distinguished
About the GTA V chart, when you are comparing integrated graphics with discrete graphics the testing should have been done with higher graphics settings. With the lowest settings the testing is being CPU limited and the discrete cards are paired with X4 860K. It's kind of pointless.

Exactly if I'm right if the R7 240 was paired with a decent CPU (Say an FX-8320 or Intel i3/i5) then it would beat the Intel IGP which to me basically means that the AMD IGP (which is anywhere from 6-8 CU's vs the 5CU's in the R7-240) is actually capable of being faster the Broadwell Iris Pro GPU but is being hindered by its lack memory bandwidth. If Zen is given some onboard memory for the IGP then I think Zen should be faster than Broadwell's Iris Pro IGP and likely even Skylake's. (The 8 CU's in the A10-7850K have 60 more CU's than the R7-240 but Zen is likely to have more efficient CU's which is already known and probably even more CU's than Kaveri)

Status
Not open for further replies.