Broadwell: Intel Core i7-5775C And i5-5675C Review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I have a question, maybe I read something wrong but whats the MSRP for these CPUs? I remember the earlier Iris Pro's going for $300+ USD per chip.

I ask this because that 128MB of on die eDRAM is not cheap and is the cause for the huge jump in graphics performance vs AMD APU's which lack such a large dedicated graphics cache. If this chip is in the above mentioned price range, it blows past it's target market pretty heavily.
Yeah, it seems so: http://www.hardwareversand.de/Sockel+1150/236534/Intel+Core+i5-5675C+Tray%2C+LGA1150.article?pvid=9qkybddf3_0&ref=27 . That's not a very attractive price, by at least 100€.

ah.

Rumors around the web talking about 50% performance increase with 72 EUs.

edit: What de5_Roy said seconds ago :p

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
AMD can never compete with Intel only for a short time (see Athlon 64).

AMD at one time had the clear and distinct advantage to Intel when Intel's hyperburst (heatburst) technology fell apart as the cycles went up and AMD dropped the Athlon 64 bombshell. They had a clear 2+ years to take advantage of Intels foibles and push ahead. What did they do? They sat on their asses, delayed bulldozer to the point of a joke and raised their prices on Athlon chips to cash in on their advantage. Guess what, they allowed Intel to catch up and beat them into the ground because Intel doesn't quit when its ahead.

logainofhades

Titan

If that is the case, budget gaming rigs will be crazy easy to do, as long as the are priced well. It would pretty much eliminate quite a few discrete card solutions.

yup. except the BGA boards are always part of barebones PCs ( i've seen so far), which ends up costing quite a bit after full configuration. otoh, socketed iris pros are so high-priced that they don't justify the extra cost of a mobo, case, psu etc. but building is very easy.

logainofhades

Titan

Hopefully the price will be more reasonable, once skylake finally releases. The IGP just isn't powerful enough, to justify the price tag. I could grab an i3 4150, and pair it with a GTX 750ti, for less cost than the i5 5675c, and have far better gaming performance. These chips only make sense for those wanting an i5, or i7, now, and plan on pairing their system up with a far more powerful GPU later on.

InvalidError

Titan

'C' appears to be the new 'K' - the 5675C and 5775C are unlocked. Chris just did not have enough time to start messing with that before NDA-day and settled for going with stock numbers for the first pass.

Imagine busting your samples due to overzealous overclocking and missing launch-day review coverage because of it. There will almost certainly be a follow-up story for overclock performance and power scaling in the near-future.

same here.
you can go further by getting a low profile and/or single slotter and a smaller case.
could be a stretch, but a xeon e3 123x v3 and a 750ti might be a hair or two cheaper than a 5775c.

In almost all the charts the 4790K beat it's Broadwell counterpart. Of course this is due to the lower clock rate but I would hope that they would be able to lower the clock rate and match its performance without the need to OC. I realize if they were at the same frequency Broadwell would be better but for those who do not want to overclock it seems Haswell is the winner for better stock clocks,

First everyone went up in clock rate, and now we're going down for power usage? I can risk some heat and 30W for better performance.

I'd guess lower base clocks are to reduce power consumption. Intel has realized that its IPC is good enough to handle whatever tasks most people throw at them that they can focus more on lowering power use. I'm not complaining at all.

logainofhades

Titan
Saw this in another thread. The anandtech bench for GTA V had far different results, than THG did. It does confuse things, a bit. Their 5675c got far fewer FPS, than THG's did.

74940.png

In this particular situation though, the IPC increase is less than the clock decrease respectively, causing lower performance without overclocking. Now, I am not sure if these CPUs can be overclocked perfectly well to the base clock of the 4xxxx without purchasing a newer cooler - as long as Intel did not put a worse stock cooler in it should be able to. But for people who do not own a Z97 board, perhaps they own an H97, Haswell is definitely a better option because they will get performance (aside from graphics) than with Broadwell.

The way I see it is that when overclocking, it's a fantastic option, but otherwise not so much.

Yes, they've realized they've got performance to spare, so they are defaulting to trading some of it to lower power usage. Overclockers can then shift the balance more toward performance, if they really need it; most people won't, but they will appreciate the lower power and heat.

InvalidError

Titan

THG used lowest/minimum details while Anand used the Low preset.

Anand's choice is likely more representative of how most people would choose to play on their $300 IGP.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Gotta agree, Anandtech's results are raising some eyebrows, mine included. Someone had either some big issues with the test setup or they're lying... Now to guess who the someone is.

The lower FPS could be simply due to what portion of GTA and what area they were playing in. Forested areas usually are more intense in games for instance and will be less FPS.

A bit of a mix-up, it was Netburst and AMD didn't sit around. They released Phenom (K10) that had horribly low clocks, very high leakage and just bad performance. In reality what they did wrong was they closed their last FAB here in the states just when the Athlon 64 was picking up speed causing them to have short supply and they in turn would neglect their smaller vendors for the lure and temptation of the larger vendors (i.e. Dell, HP etc).

You can get an i5 with the GT3e for as low as $244 bucks though which makes me wonder if it is even worth it to have a discrete GPU if you are going that route. Sure the performance is slightly better but you also lose the ability to run a smaller form factor. I would consider the low end i5 for a HTPC to replace my aging Athlon X2 and HD5450. That way I could play a few small games I have that run better on controllers on my TV instead of my PC.

That is interesting, even Anandtechs A10 scores are lower. Might have to ask Chris what happened to get such high scores. Both were scripted benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.