Broadwell: Intel Core i7-5775C And i5-5675C Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
are these numbers real?.............Not only does it match lower mid range cards, but it completely destorys AMD's APUs........
:shock:

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
This is exactly what I said to a buddy of mine about a month ago. Everyone is going on about how little Intel has done with CPUs over the past few years - presumably due to no real competition from AMD. Then people starting looking to Zen as being the real competitor for Intel and saying things like "Intel are in for a shock" - I had the view that Intel weren't resting on their laurels all this time - they've just been biding their time and doing amazing things in a hush hush manner. When Zen is released it will soon be completely obliterated by some of the tech that Intel would have been working on in the meantime - AMD has lagged too far behind for too long and love them or hate them, Intel is the benchmark when it comes to CPUs - period. They own this space, and these 2 chips have just rendered AMD APUs completely useless now. I'd be interested in this for a HTPC solution with some light gaming - League of Legends etc. This is impressive, however, like the article concluded, what a poor time for them to be released.

Grognak

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Wow. 93% better average framerate in GTA V than a 7850K with DDR3-2400 RAM... And that's just the i5. Incredible.

Since Broadwell is unlocked, would have been interesting to see how they overclocked. Yeah Skylake is breathing down the neck of Broadwell now thanks to the delays it suffered... but still would be fun to see.

You’ve waited this long—why not hang tight for a few months for Skylake and start anew with 100-series chipsets, DDR4 and the return of unlocked 95W K-series CPUs?

Last I heard Skylake was supposed to support DDR3 and DDR4. Was that just a rumor that wasn't the truth or will it actually support DDR3 as well?

alpha27

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 1, 2014
heh iris coming close to a 750gtx 500 cuda core NVidia better watch out hey
hmm if intel whacked a few iris's on a gfx chip and did there thing they could possibly beat NVidia...and make even more money lol, hmm mutli 128mb ring buses and iris core's and hbm...delicious

it's a good review. two big reviews back to back, nice job. :)

i missed some things:
unlocked broadwells but no o.c. not even a little look into how these overclock and behave o.c.ed.
no comparison (gaming, power use, htpc etc.) with the desktop haswell i5 and i7 -R cpus' iris pro igpus. the amd comparisons were good though. i hope you guys test these against the haswell iris pro later.

in some of the charts, the core i7 5775 was written as i7 7557.
in the test setup page, system memory section, is it "transcend" instead of "transcent"?

edit:
one last thing: do these unlocked broadwell cpus really have 16x gen 3.0 lanes off the processor? i thought these were soc dies (with southbridge disabled) with 8x gen 3.0 lanes.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
not surprising given that it has an irs pro gpu in it, that's intel top of the line gpu. now obv even with that said it's in no competition with highend gpus from NVidia or amd as any apu's gpu would get destroyed, but what's good is the fact that it's helping to push gpus on apu's to become better and better and since intel has greatly stepped up their game in the apu's gpu department i'd expect amd to step up their game even further and push back. I also see that since there is such a big gain with broadwells gpu, that skylake won't see any real jump in that department. i'd imagine that the irs 6000 series is going to carry over onto skylake with little improvement over broadwells irs 6200.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
AMD can never compete with Intel only for a short time (see Athlon 64). Everything in the Universe is about mathematics and between AMD and Intel is the same. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE RESOURCES a company has, it is that simple. Because of that, i am always tempted to go AMD because, considering the amount of resources AMD has, at the same price AMD is on paar with intel...

stairmand

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Impressive, however I really don't get Intel stuffing iGPU's in ALL there desktop LGA processors. I'd much rather them use the extra die space for CPU improvements and let people fit a discreet GPU. Despite how good it may be, no gamer uses the integrated GPU so it's just wasted DIE space.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Sad how Intel managed to beat AMD at their iGPU game. Sad, though not unexpected, given the 2 generation nm different them. Intel's 14 nm is really showing it's strength compared to AMD's mature, but still dated 28 nm.

Even if Carizzo on laptops is everything AMD says it is, it still stands no chance to ULV i5s and i7s.

And on desktop, it's ... Dunno if said. It's not like Broadwell changes anything. AMD still provides more CPU power for less money and Intel provides serious power but requires a premium.

The balance is kept I guess until Skylake/Zen.

I have a question, maybe I read something wrong but whats the MSRP for these CPUs? I remember the earlier Iris Pro's going for $300+ USD per chip.

I ask this because that 128MB of on die eDRAM is not cheap and is the cause for the huge jump in graphics performance vs AMD APU's which lack such a large dedicated graphics cache. If this chip is in the above mentioned price range, it blows past it's target market pretty heavily.

http://www.techspot.com/news/60864-intel-launches-new-broadwell-cpus.html
i haven't seen prices on intel's website yet.
considering a10 7870k's $137 msrp, amd has price/perf advantage.
afaik, the edram cost around $80.

About the GTA V chart, when you are comparing integrated graphics with discrete graphics the testing should have been done with higher graphics settings. With the lowest settings the testing is being CPU limited and the discrete cards are paired with X4 860K. It's kind of pointless.

Prices are needed if we have any hope of determining how suitable for a build these will be. After all, a GTX780Ti has great performance, but is irrelevant when the total budget is $800.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Sad how AMD is absolutely shoved into the dust bin. I hope their upcoming Zen next year will be worthwhile with its 14nm process and more Intel-like cores.
And another shock is coming. Fiji wont beat Titan and AMD will want 800+ dollars for it. HBM v1 is only 4GB. no one will buy this car. compound the fact all their cards are rebrands except the ram improvement on the 290X . and now the huge loss in APU crown. We have to look at this realistically. AMD may not make it out of 2015!
And that is something I dont want. but I'm not buy a 800 video card that can be beaten by a 980TI and is $200 cheaper! And is inferior until HBM v2.
Sorry AMD, but you cant ask me to do that. Good tech has to be rewarded. and you made a mistake. you havent designed cpu's in years. you havent designed GPU's in a while, and the one you did, you didnt look beyond 2014 when you made the plans on it!
AMD are being incredibly short sighted. They didnt even have a driver team (which is why we didnt get a driver for 10 months)
And marketing and PR has failed as well.
Im really gutted for AMD

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Wow. This is really impressive for an APU.
I am surprised that they managed to sweep out AMD's APU so dramatically. I guess being 2 technology nodes behind, at this level, is killer.

This said, any news on price of these "babies"? The A10-7850K sells for $129 on Newegg.
Add to that an R9 270X ($144) and you get a $273 for something that would blow the iris6200 out of the water.
If the core i5-5675C is priced $200~220, then it's a no brainier. Anything higher, and the appeal will fade pretty quickly on a desktop. On an HTPC perhaps, but not on a desktop.
Anything beyond $260~280 and it simply makes no sense.
Am I missing something?
Could not find the prices anywhere: maybe I missed them?

Status
Not open for further replies.