Question BSOD loop after installing GPU drivers, no administrator and no safe mode start

just_banter

Commendable
Apr 5, 2017
My Windows 10 laptop entered a boot loop after installing new GPU drivers in an attempt to get my laptop to recognise my GPU instead of using the windows default adapter. I did a full reset of my PC thinking it would get rid of the drivers but all that managed to accomplish was the deletion of all my [censored] as well as the administrator account that lets you use most of the recovery options.

I have tried starting in Safe mode normally, with networking, and using low-resolution mode but none got past the blue screen. The codes are “video_tdr_failure” and “atikmpag.sys.” As I said, I believe that reverting the drivers back to before the crash would fix it, but I don’t know how to accomplish that without having an administrator account.

I’m an exchange student who doesn’t have a car due to just arriving so I’d like to try to fix this myself before going to a costly repair place off campus. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I was somehow able to get into command prompt and startup repair but I don’t remember how. Anyway, startup repair said it was unable to fix the problem and in command prompt I used chkdsk on both my C and D drives as well as smartdisc and SFC, none of which solved the issue.

Last edited:

just_banter

Commendable
Apr 5, 2017
What model do you have?

Most laptops today are set up with a designated partition used to make a factory reset. Have yoou checked this?
I have a HP Envy, this exact model: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-15-ds0013nr

Is this partition type factory reset through the troubleshooting menu? That’s the only one I’ve done, both the soft reset that keeps personal files and the full reset.

I’ve managed to stumble into being able to use the administrator stuff again, and I think reimaging my laptop could fix it, but I can’t have a chance to do that for the next few days so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.