Jul 7, 2019
Hello all,

I'm in desperate for help, as I've been getting a variety of BSOD. Please help!

This computer is less than 1 yr old. 2 weekends ago I changed out my CPU Cooler to a Noctua cooler. It is worth noting that the process wasn't smooth, and I got thermal paste on the side of the chip and a tiny speck on the bottom barely touching a pin (I know, stupid of me). I thoroughly cleaned it, put it back in, then applied the cooler. I applied it backwards the first time and needed to rotate it to correctly attach it to the CPU. I had BSOD's before this, not not nearly as frequently.

After that point, I started getting BSOD at least once every session. They almost always happened:
  1. Within 5 minutes of waking it up/turning on
  2. While playing a game
The three different types I've gotten are:
  1. KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
  2. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  3. KERNEL_AUTO_bOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Specs are:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
  • G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200
  • Samsung 970 Evo 500gb
  • GTX 1060 3gb
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold
Additionally, I am unable to update to the newest Windows 10 (2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4549951)). When I try to update it gets to 100% and says Error 0x800f0831. I don't know if this happened before or after the main problem.

I'm willing to provide any info anyone needs to help me here, as I'm really out of my league. Thank you for the help!

Now from what I've gathered, there are a few possible explanations for this:
  • I need to remount the CPU cooler. I could have applied it incorrectly and the CPU could be overheating. This explains crashing while playing games, but I don't think this explains it crashing when I first wake it up / turn it on. Easiest solution, i'd even put back on the original cooler to see if that helps.
  • The PSU could be causing this. That explains the turn on/wake up crashes, and maybe the game crashes too. However this is a highly rated PSU that is also brand new. Could it be broken?
Programs I've downloaded and can use however necessary:
  • Speccy
  • WhoCrashed
  • SFC /SCANNOW
    • Diagnostic tool not program
  • OCCT

Last edited:
Solution
Remount the cooler and see if that doesn't fix it. If that doesn't work, remount the original and see if that doesn't fix it. If not, then you might have messed up the chip somehow. :(
Jul 7, 2019
Below is the information WhoCrashed found tonight, I really don't know how to translate it.

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-L18BEVF
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: X570 AORUS ELITE, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor AMD8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 17125584896 bytes (15.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Mon 5/11/2020 9:24:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x8818)
Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFFAE8A5D986040, 0xFFFFBE811D0EC6D0, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/11/2020 7:54:27 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-9343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ene.sys (0xFFFFF80456411E10)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80456411E10, 0xFFFFCA0AB9309080, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ene.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ene.sys .
Google query: ene.sys KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Mon 5/11/2020 3:30:12 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-8609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1220)
Bugcheck code: 0x157 (0xFFFFE0825FBB8080, 0x1, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an illegal operation was attempted on the priority floor of a particular thread.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/11/2020 9:24:36 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\051120-10593-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFFAE8A5D986040, 0xFFFFBE811D0EC6D0, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock.

On Fri 5/8/2020 7:57:31 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050820-10687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x192 (0xFFFFBD050A9DE040, 0xFFFFCF8E62FC9B50, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Thu 5/7/2020 8:28:22 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050720-10828-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x192 (0xFFFFA70E2E1C5080, 0xFFFFF80481265B30, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ene.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.