[SOLVED] BSOD, Reinstalling Windows

Solution
You might want to try a reset. that will get rid of the driver but the downside is you have to reinstall all your programs again. Since we been going 5 days or something, the answer to your initial question should have been do a reinstall :)

I don't get why keyboard doesn't work without that program running, but a reset will fix it. just make sure to backup anything on C you want to save, just in case, as not all resets work.

At least with a reset you can keep files and settings. (files being contents of library folders - Documents, music, pictures, videos). Settings include login info and desktop set up.

Sometimes if the driver is just being impossible to remove, reset is a good answer.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi Javster and welcome to the forums. I've ran your dump file through a debugger and found the following:

View the full report (which includes 3rd party modules) here: https://pste.eu/p/s8Tu.html

View the summary here:
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
BugCheck 7F, {8, fffff80747673e70, fffff307f841ced0, fffff80745a75536}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+2a8 )

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault).

Argument: EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: GameBarPresenceWriter.exe
STACK_OVERFLOW: Stack Limit: fffff307f841d000.
There are two common causes of a Bugcheck 7F double fault:
-A kernel stack overflow.
-A hardware problem.

Your dump indicates that you have BIOS version 1.3.6 - however I believe there is a version 1.3.7 available. An out of date BIOS has been known to cause the problem you have.

GameBarPresenceWriter.exe was also a process that may have led to the crash which is part of Microsofts XBOX app.

In the stack leading up to your crash, a believed COMODO Secure Shopping driver was found you may find if there is an update to your Antivirus software, that you should update this as soon as possible.

Are you running any OC at all? Equally, have you recently added any new RAM? I noticed that you are using mixed modules.

@Colif and @gardenman may also be able to shed some more light.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019
Hi Javster and welcome to the forums. I've ran your dump file through a debugger and found the following:

View the full report (which includes 3rd party modules) here: https://pste.eu/p/s8Tu.html

View the summary here:
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
BugCheck 7F, {8, fffff80747673e70, fffff307f841ced0, fffff80745a75536}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+2a8 )

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault).

Argument: EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME: GameBarPresenceWriter.exe
STACK_OVERFLOW: Stack Limit: fffff307f841d000.
There are two common causes of a Bugcheck 7F double fault:
-A kernel stack overflow.
-A hardware problem.

Your dump indicates that you have BIOS version 1.3.6 - however I believe there is a version 1.3.7 available. An out of date BIOS has been known to cause the problem you have.

GameBarPresenceWriter.exe was also a process that may have led to the crash which is part of Microsofts XBOX app.

In the stack leading up to your crash, a believed COMODO Secure Shopping driver was found you may find if there is an update to your Antivirus software, that you should update this as soon as possible.

Are you running any OC at all? Equally, have you recently added any new RAM? I noticed that you are using mixed modules.

@Colif and @gardenman may also be able to shed some more light.
Hello thanks for the reply. I've talked to a few people and they all tell me the cause of the bsod is the COMODO Secure Shopping driver even though I ran Revo and also the COMODO uninstaller and completely removed everything but it still seems to be running somehow, that's why some have recommended to reinstall windows which I'm thinking about doing, but I wanted to get some more input first since I've never ran into this sort of problem before. There is a new bios version but I've read it's "optional" by the Dell website to update and heard of people having problems when updating any bios, but I'm not sure maybe you can shed some light on that and tell me your thoughts. Also I don't think I'm running any OC and I have not added any new RAM. (Sorry for the late reply and if @Colif and @gardenman or any of you can help I'll appreciate it!)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
what exactly does updating that do? (sorry I don't really know much)
Your atheros driver is effectively the hidden software that allows your wireless / LAN device to communicate with your operating system. Newer drivers tend to have improvements of bug fixes in them - so for example, if the Atheros driver is potentially causing your problem, then updating them may also fix the underlying problem with the driver.

Equally what issues have you heard around the BIOS update? Generally when you're encountering things like this, a BIOS update is always useful, as it can come with improvements and patches like a driver update would - but a BIOS update also tends to include compatibility patches.

May 14, 2019
Your atheros driver is effectively the hidden software that allows your wireless / LAN device to communicate with your operating system. Newer drivers tend to have improvements of bug fixes in them - so for example, if the Atheros driver is potentially causing your problem, then updating them may also fix the underlying problem with the driver.

Equally what issues have you heard around the BIOS update? Generally when you're encountering things like this, a BIOS update is always useful, as it can come with improvements and patches like a driver update would - but a BIOS update also tends to include compatibility patches.
Okay thanks for explaining, so do you think I should download the killer drivers installation and/or update my BIOS rather than resetting my pc or what? (also I haven't heard anything specific about this bios update just heard of things going wrong when people update their bios, but idk it's probably not the same situation.)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
going wrong when people update their bios
That will be the general bricking your MB concern. Basically if you stop the BIOS update whilst it's underway, you can render your PC unusable, as the BIOS is the core firmware that your entire PC needs to simply "work". It's not a challenging process, you just have to run the update, and make sure that your computer doesnt switch off / lose battery (laptops) / have a power outage whilst it does it, otherwise you can brick the motherboard. Modern MB are putting features in place to help with this.

It's a simple process, just if that simple process isn't followed properly, then it can have big impacts - it's why if you have a laptop, the BIOS update utility usually won't let you update until you plug the charger in, to ensure it doesn't run out of battery. Equally some people get impatient with a BIOS update and pull the plug - worst thing you can do. It may sound scary, but it really is a simple process, just follow the instructions on your motherboard or manufacturers manual. Dell PCs tend to have an inbuilt update utility that will do the work for you.

Yes do what @Colif says regarding the driver updates first, he's pretty damn experienced with BSOD issues
(amongst more I'm certain) - updating your BIOS is completely seperate from resetting your PC, if it's your BIOS that is the problem, then resetting your PC likely won't help if you reinstall the same programs again as the conflictions can come back. However updating your BIOS may solve your OS issues entirely if this is the cause of your problem.

The other thing you'll want to do is make sure your windows is completely up to date, the XBOX app crash is Microsoft owned, so making sure your windows is up to date will also make sure all Microsoft drivers are updated as far as possible.

Reactions: javster22
May 14, 2019
That will be the general bricking your MB concern. Basically if you stop the BIOS update whilst it's underway, you can render your PC unusable, as the BIOS is the core firmware that your entire PC needs to simply "work". It's not a challenging process, you just have to run the update, and make sure that your computer doesnt switch off / lose battery (laptops) / have a power outage whilst it does it, otherwise you can brick the motherboard. Modern MB are putting features in place to help with this.

It's a simple process, just if that simple process isn't followed properly, then it can have big impacts - it's why if you have a laptop, the BIOS update utility usually won't let you update until you plug the charger in, to ensure it doesn't run out of battery. Equally some people get impatient with a BIOS update and pull the plug - worst thing you can do. It may sound scary, but it really is a simple process, just follow the instructions on your motherboard or manufacturers manual. Dell PCs tend to have an inbuilt update utility that will do the work for you.

Yes do what @Colif says regarding the driver updates first, he's pretty damn experienced with BSOD issues
(amongst more I'm certain) - updating your BIOS is completely seperate from resetting your PC, if it's your BIOS that is the problem, then resetting your PC likely won't help if you reinstall the same programs again as the conflictions can come back. However updating your BIOS may solve your OS issues entirely if this is the cause of your problem.

The other thing you'll want to do is make sure your windows is completely up to date, the XBOX app crash is Microsoft owned, so making sure your windows is up to date will also make sure all Microsoft drivers are updated as far as possible.
Alright I understand better now. I'll try and update the drivers with that first and then update my BIOS and see how it goes.Thank you and @Colif so much for your time and help, I'll be sure to come back here if the issue persists.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
Another option is run the dell updater and it might do the qualcomm driver (atheros) and BIOS for you. Or just go here and run diagnostics - https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...product/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/diagnose

or use dell site to recommend drivers - https://www.dell.com/support/home/u.../product/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/drivers

I had another person have a BSOD caused by the Atheros driver earlier today, and also, its the only lan driver on your machine, and if Comodo did have a problem, it could have been caused by the lan driver as it has to use it for talking over the internet. It could have also set off the Xbox app.

May 14, 2019
Another option is run the dell updater and it might do the qualcomm driver (atheros) and BIOS for you. Or just go here and run diagnostics - https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...product/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/diagnose

or use dell site to recommend drivers - https://www.dell.com/support/home/u.../product/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/drivers

I had another person have a BSOD caused by the Atheros driver earlier today, and also, its the only lan driver on your machine, and if Comodo did have a problem, it could have been caused by the lan driver as it has to use it for talking over the internet. It could have also set off the Xbox app.
I updated my BIOS and also anything alongside the dell updated and today it has been running well even a bit faster, but just right now I got another BSOD not sure if its the same problem though. Here's the dmp file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Qd1TtKB7yK1HPq3Kh5M77wlvmMj_NLK

gardenman

Splendid
Sorry, the "@Username" thing is not notifying me of posts anymore. Leaves complaint in Colif's complaints box...
Rc4AAo6.png

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/OpD9.html
File information:051519-19609-01.dmp (May 15 2019 - 23:58:41)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cmdcss.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SearchFilterHost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:051419-23437-01.dmp (May 14 2019 - 13:12:24)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for cmdcss.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: GameBarPresenceWriter.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

System page: https://www.dell.com/support/home/u.../product/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/drivers

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 14, 2019
okay, both caused by comodo driver PC tailor mentioned before - seems I was wrong.

Oct 16 2017cmdcss.sysCOMODO Secure Shopping driver

Strange its the only comodo file you have, wonder what it was part of.

Try using auto runs to stop it running at startup if can't uninstall it another way - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
Should I just uncheck these? and then restart my pc? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xJw-X9T7HlrDFejZBuBusnWfqIMArweS

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Only just picked this back up as I've been away from my PC.

Certainly looks like it is the Comodo driver, not only is it in your loaded modules, but it is also in both of the stacks leading up to the crash. Certainly seems like it probably is the driver causing the crash.

I am also curious as to why it is the only comodo driver running there however, the autoruns should work, is it something you may have to disable directly from your internet browser perhaps?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
We can actually now guarantee it is the Comodo driver as I've just debugged the stack usage by module leading up to the kernel stack overflow (i.e. what modules were accessing the stack during the overflow) and found the following:

Size Count Module
0x00002A78 25 nt
0x00000260 1 hal
0x00000008 1 cmdcss
Total Size: 0x00002CE0

nt and hal are both microsoft DLLs, CMDCSS is the Comodo Driver, so basically the only modules that were present when the stack overflowed were those. So it reinforces everything that's been pointed to before. Figure out how to stop it running and I have no doubt your problem will be solved.

May 14, 2019
We can actually now guarantee it is the Comodo driver as I've just debugged the stack usage by module leading up to the kernel stack overflow (i.e. what modules were accessing the stack during the overflow) and found the following:

Size Count Module
0x00002A78 25 nt
0x00000260 1 hal
0x00000008 1 cmdcss
Total Size: 0x00002CE0

nt and hal are both microsoft DLLs, CMDCSS is the Comodo Driver, so basically the only modules that were present when the stack overflowed were those. So it reinforces everything that's been pointed to before. Figure out how to stop it running and I have no doubt your problem will be solved.
Okay sorry for the late reply guys, so I just just ran autoruns and unchecked the two services I showed in the earlier pic, but then when I restarted my pc the keyboard stopped working (it still light up but couldn't register anything I was typing) so I checked them back and restarted again and my keyboard works again. No clue as to why this would happen, any idea as to what I should do then?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can't see why that would happen - wondering if it is either coincidence or just another driver conflict.
Try disabling the 2 services again and then if the keyboard doesn't work on restart, try unplugging it and plugging it into another port would be my thought.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i did check that both services tied to comodo before i said yes last night, as the csssrv one hadn't been mentioned by the dump file so wanted to confirm it was part of comodo

This Shows it is: http://processchecker.com/file/csssrv.exe.html
the other files names itself that. Only one site shows it as part of windows, everything else says comodo.

What type of keyboard is it? does it have its own drivers or use microsoft's?

May 14, 2019
i did check that both services tied to comodo before i said yes last night, as the csssrv one hadn't been mentioned by the dump file so wanted to confirm it was part of comodo

This Shows it is: http://processchecker.com/file/csssrv.exe.html
the other files names itself that. Only one site shows it as part of windows, everything else says comodo.

What type of keyboard is it? does it have its own drivers or use microsoft's?
I tried what @PC Tailor told me to do (uncheck, restart and plug into another port) and it still didn't work so I checked them again. The keyboard is Razer and yes I think it has its own drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
now this is interesting

My computer system became unstable after I installed Comodo Internet Security / Comodo Firewall.
Currently, there are few known compatibility issues with Comodo applications. Here are a few reported issues when Comodo applications are present on a system:
• Keyboard or trackpad intermittently not responding
• The blank desktop screen showed immediately after user boot to Windows OS
• Intermittent BSOD related to DPC_Watchdog_Violation
• The system not able to boot-up after installing Comodo Internet Security / Comodo Firewall applications
To ensure Razer Blade customers do not encounter the above issues, we advise users not to install Comodo applications at this time. If you have installed the applications, please immediately remove the following applications through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel:
• Comodo Internet Security
• Comodo Firewall
• GeekBuddy
• PrivDog

https://support.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/

but its the only thing I can find on the issues. Unsure if it stretches to their keyboards, Not same bsod as you were getting.

Synapse normally doesn't need help to be painful. I had a Razer kb a few years ago

Files installed by COMODO Secure Shopping
Program executable:vdcss.exe
Name:​
COMODO Secure Shopping
Path:​
C:\Program Files\comodo\comodo secure shopping\vdcss.exe
MD5:​
9075d7f9aec5df533c3e557f99a69cad
Additional files:
  • cmdcss.sys - COMODO Secure Shopping Driver
  • cssbho32.dll - COMODO Secure Shopping
  • cssbho64.dll
  • csshlp.dll
  • cssreport.exe
  • cssreport64.exe
  • csssrv.exe
  • csssrv64.exe
  • un_inst.exe
  • 7za.dll (by Igor Pavlov) - 7-Zip (7z Standalone Plugin)
  • 7za64.dll (by Igor Pavlov)

https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/COMODO-Secure-Shopping-189039-program.aspx

both definitely installed by Comodo Secure Shopper

So why does stopping it conflict with Razer synapse, when the first quote shows running it causes problems on the laptops.

See if you can find un_inst.exe as that sure looks like it would remove the shopper.
Might need to reinstall synapse after

Reactions: javster22