[SOLVED] BSOD, then "Your HDD/SSD may crash at any moment" , now I can't get past Win10 lock screen ?

kenobiwren

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Hi there, I've recently encountered a big problem with my rig and i wasn't too sure on a diagnosis as there are similar cases on the forum but none quite the same.

About a week ago i had what i believe was a power surge which later on gave me a BSOD whilst playing RE7, this was my first bsod ive had with my rig therefore i was very worried. However, on the restart my bios gives me the error message "Your HDD/SSD might crash at any moment". My first thought was to backup my drives but booting up Windows only led so far. When i try to log in, the screen freezes but not completely as the time still is progressing on the clock. My OS is on my SSD along with a fair bit of data. I took out my HDD to troubleshoot and the problem persisted. It seems to me that the SSD is corrupted somehow but not completely dead as Win10 still is bootable but only to the log in screen :/ , Is there any way i can fix this issue?

(also important to note that the motherboard gives me 2 sets of 2 short beeps when i power up the pc)

Many Thanks,
Taylor.

PC Specs:
Intel I5-8600k (3.6Ghz)

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666Mhz

11GB GTX 1080TI

1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III (6GB/s, 7200PRM, 32mb Cache)

512GB ADATA SX6000 PCIe M.2 2280 (1000MB/R, 800MB/W)

Solution
are you able to boot into safe mode? Either hold shift while you restart it and it will come up with a screen and then you go to advanced options and then startup options. Then select that and when it reboot go to Safe Mode and see if you can login.

if that doesn't work turn off your PC, then in the middle of the boot pull the power cable two times in a row and it should go to that recovery screen and then advanced options.

If you did have a power surge that could have been something that could have damaged the SSD possibly.

Once you are in safe mode and you can install windows, download a program called Crystal Disk Info. That will give you the smart status and if it is failing, which it sounds like it is. It could have all just...
are you able to boot into safe mode? Either hold shift while you restart it and it will come up with a screen and then you go to advanced options and then startup options. Then select that and when it reboot go to Safe Mode and see if you can login.

if that doesn't work turn off your PC, then in the middle of the boot pull the power cable two times in a row and it should go to that recovery screen and then advanced options.

If you did have a power surge that could have been something that could have damaged the SSD possibly.

Once you are in safe mode and you can install windows, download a program called Crystal Disk Info. That will give you the smart status and if it is failing, which it sounds like it is. It could have all just been slowly dyeing as well and is not just finally dead. I've seen it happen before.

Solution