[SOLVED] BSOD's and games crashing after new hardware

Aug 21, 2019
Recently i got myself new hardware. After installing the hardware and having alot of trouble installing windows. I got my PC up and running.
Everything seems fine, but when i play games they crash or my PC will blue screen. The games go from running perfectly fine to suddenly crashing.
I have tried to reinstall Windows multiple times, this does not seem to solve it. I have also tried Windows memory testing and general tweaking of settings, without positive results.
All my drivers are up-to-date and i have a fresh W10 instal now.

Crashing games (all the games i play):
  • CS:GO crashes every few hours;
  • LoL crashes every few hours;
  • Overwatch crashes every couple minutes.
New hardware in my pc:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • MOBO: ROG STRIX B450-F
  • RAM: G.Skill DDR4 Aegis 2x8GB 2666MHz
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB
Rest of the hardware:
  • GPU: Strix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • PSU: Corsair Builder CX550M
  • SSD: Kingston A400 SSD 120GB
  • HDD: Some 2TB Medion HDD (ST2000DM001-1CH164) (basicly the only part left from a Medion prebuild at first i thought this gave me trouble installing W10 because of bloatware)
The BSOD's i got over the last few weeks:
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION > mmcss.sys
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION > win32full.sys
  • BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
  • KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
  • DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL > Ndu.sys
I have been trying to solve this myself, but seem to be unable to fix this. My hard and sofware shills are pretty basic. I pray someone here can help me solve this!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for your reply!

latest bios and chipset driver?
I just updated my bios from version 2501 to 2605 (it was not that old). For my cpu drivers i use AMD Ryzen Master
latest windows 10 build?
I use W10 home and its up to date. I have not activated it with a W10 key yet since i have so many issues right now
cpu/gpu temp on idle and load?
Idle cpu and gpu sit around 40C and this rises to max 70C

I also just a few minutes ago got another BSOD:
DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL > Ndu.sys
I tried troubleshooting this, but it requires a Ndu.sys file from windows.old but this folder is empty.

Aug 21, 2019
I have additional information.
I just played Honor and it crashed quickly as well. This made me think more graphical demanding games crash faster. Could it be my PSU: "Corsair Builder CX550M" could not handle the power it takes?
My graphics card worked fine for years with my old PC setup.

Hope this works as a post bump as well. :)

Aug 21, 2019
is the gpu used?
my guess would be the psu also

Bought it new 1,5 year ago. Has always worked fine.
Would it make sense that games crash to desktop most of the time instead of system shutting down? Im not fimiliar with PSU problems.
Is there a way to check how much W i need for my system?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Do you have links to the dump files of your BSOD? See here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

The BSOD only started occurring after the new hardware installation?
Do you have any overclock or XMP enabled? If so, disable it entirely.
Have you checked the integrity of your storage drives with HD Sentinel?
Do the crashes and BSOD occur when in safe mode?

Aug 21, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Do you have links to the dump files of your BSOD? See here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

The BSOD only started occurring after the new hardware installation?
Do you have any overclock or XMP enabled? If so, disable it entirely.
Have you checked the integrity of your storage drives with HD Sentinel?
Do the crashes and BSOD occur when in safe mode?

Thanks for your reply!

Here is my automatic MEMORY.DMP: https://we.tl/t-jjICDupK1w note that my older BSOD's are not in here because i re-installed W10
The crashes happen after installing the new hardware. I have not overclocked anything. On top of that the crashes only happen when i play games and i'm pretty sure i can't do that in safe mode.
I will check HD Sentinel now.

Cheers!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Apologies for the delayed response!

I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/ebl6.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck D1
Probably caused by : Ndu.sys ( Ndu!NduOutboundTransportClassify+2a0 )

Bugcheck Description:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x000000D1. This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory while the process IRQL that was too high.

The majority of the time the issue is not the IRQL level, but rather the memory that is being accessed. Because this bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper memory addresses, use parameters 1,3 and 4 to invesitgate further.

About your bugcheck:
Typically this is driver based, as it is when a module tries to access an invalid address when the IRQL is too high.

If a driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

It is recommended that you view the third party modules to see which drivers may be misbehaving.

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
  • I have noticed that you now have an outdated BIOS (although you may not have with your first crashes) it may be good to update this in case your problem is being caused by firmware.
  • I'd be tempted to disable the Ryzen OC utility (see the report for the link to AUTORUNS to do this)
  • I believe there may be an NVIDIA video driver update available for your system.
  • The AMD SATA driver has caused some issue on other builds I've seen. But it's usually reliant on other programs.
  • I'd be tempted to see if there is an update for your Intel network driver as any application that accesses the internet can blue screen if this is faulty.
Being as the issue has only started happening after the hardware install, you can almost guarantee it is that, now the question is deducing if it is firmware conflicts with the new hardware, drivers from the new hardware, or the hardware being faulty itself.

Aug 21, 2019

I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/ebl6.html

Summary of findings:

About your bugcheck:

Typically this is driver based, as it is when a module tries to access an invalid address when the IRQL is too high.

If a driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

It is recommended that you view the third party modules to see which drivers may be misbehaving.

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
  • I have noticed that you now have an outdated BIOS (although you may not have with your first crashes) it may be good to update this in case your problem is being caused by firmware.
  • I'd be tempted to disable the Ryzen OC utility (see the report for the link to AUTORUNS to do this)
  • I believe there may be an NVIDIA video driver update available for your system.
  • The AMD SATA driver has caused some issue on other builds I've seen. But it's usually reliant on other programs.
  • I'd be tempted to see if there is an update for your Intel network driver as any application that accesses the internet can blue screen if this is faulty.
Being as the issue has only started happening after the hardware install, you can almost guarantee it is that, now the question is deducing if it is firmware conflicts with the new hardware, drivers from the new hardware, or the hardware being faulty itself.

I really apreciate the detailed help. Ill look into the tomorrow and check back with my progress.
Cheers :)

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 21, 2019

Summary of findings:

About your bugcheck:

Some things to consider:

I have been trying to find misbehaving drivers using Autoruns. I'm not fimiliar with the software, but it shows alot of red/yellow lines. I'll link a ImgBB image showing what i see. https://ibb.co/r2LtF3b
I'd delete them if it did not show things like Windows Defender. I mean this seems important.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ignore red/yellow lines, that does not indicate faulty drivers, just usually third party ones or uncertificated ones. You should only disable the drivers advised to do so :)

Autoruns isn't a driver diagnosis tool, just one that disables drivers from starting so that we can gradually diagnose what may be causing the issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/HbYq.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 3B
Probably caused by : win32kbase.sys ( win32kbase!GdiThreadCallout+cf )

Bugcheck Description:
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
"This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

The stop code indicates that executing code had an exception and the thread that was it, is a system thread.

The exception information returned in parameter one is listed in NTSTATUS Values and is also available in the ntstatus.h file located in the inc directory of the Windows Driver Kit."

About your bugcheck:
"This is typically driver based and therefore you should reference the third party modules loaded to check which ones may be misbehaving. If any are out of date, try updating or disabling them.

Look at the STACK TEXT for clues on what was running when the failure occurred. If multiple dump files are available, compare information to look for common code that is in the stack"

Some things to consider:
  • There is a new BIOS update available - but i would hold fire on this one until last.
  • There are a few updated motherboard and chipset drivers available: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ - especially Audio Drivers, Chipset and SATA drivers.
  • I can see the internet drivers are now up to date which could have been an issue with the first BSOD as NDU is network based.

Aug 21, 2019
Today I booted my pc and it started the repair menu. I looked up the LogTrail in "C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt" and it showed the failur error: 0x490 with the error on my C: drive. I'v looked this up and the solutions range from a simple reboot to reinstalling W10 via USB.
I'm in my system now and think its related to the rest of the issues i have.

Over the last few weeks i have reinstalled W10 multiple times and i doubt it will help. I'm very confused as to what is causing this all.

These last few days i have been playing around with my drivers. Updating all my mobo drivers and disabling some via Autoruns to see if anything changes.

What should i do?

Aug 25, 2019
Your Problem could be the B450 Chipset. I think they are quiet new as well and I had similar issues on a X570 and it was BIOS related. But just a Guess.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Stack Text usually only indicates something if there is an obvious third party driver, outside of that the CPU will call the errors and actions differently depending on what is happening at the time. The important bit in the stack are the third party modules, which the report seperates out from it.

If you have reinstalled windows several times you're probably on hardware diagnosis. Have you got a different drive you can install Windows onto?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019
The Stack Text usually only indicates something if there is an obvious third party driver, outside of that the CPU will call the errors and actions differently depending on what is happening at the time. The important bit in the stack are the third party modules, which the report seperates out from it.

If you have reinstalled windows several times you're probably on hardware diagnosis. Have you got a different drive you can install Windows onto?

I have been using a bootable usb drive to install W10 multiple times.

Aug 21, 2019
Have you tried clean installing onto both with the other one disabled and not both in the system at the same time?

The first time i got W10 running after my new hardware was when i forgot to asign the D: space as partitions. I enabled the D: afterwards in W10.

I have not tried installing W10 on my D:, since i bought the Kinston SSD fresh from the store.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The first time i got W10 running after my new hardware was when i forgot to asign the D: space as partitions. I enabled the D: afterwards in W10.

I have not tried installing W10 on my D:, since i bought the Kinston SSD fresh from the store.
Being as you said it went into startup repair, I'd be tempted to install just onto the secondary drive if you can,with the SSD completely disconneted, and retest.

Aug 21, 2019
Being as you said it went into startup repair, I'd be tempted to install just onto the secondary drive if you can,with the SSD completely disconneted, and retest.

Just to clarify:
  • Disconnect my SSD from system
  • Get a bootable usb
  • Install W10 on the HDD
  • See if i have the same problems
  • If not plug SSD back in