Question BSoDs, SSD not recognised after reboot (details inside)

Tornik

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I had a thread on this issue in past, and I thought I had solved it through rolling back all CPU overclocking settings in BIOS, but the issue has started reappearing, so the cause is apparently different.

When playing a simulation game I have installed, it begins to stutter, then freezes about 10-15 seconds later. If I manage to exit the simulation before it completely freezes, Windows then displays various BSoD errors (two I have noted are KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION). After the PC reboots itself following these BSoD, it can't detect the SSD in BIOS, so I have to power the PC down and then start it again.

As it seems like at least the first of these error messages is due to something related to RAM/SSD, I have done some checks on them: chkdsk, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software, Windows Disk Manager and the SMART test via "wmic diskdrive get status" command all say my SSD is healthy; and Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool says the RAM is doing fine. I tried physically swapping RAM sticks to test each of them for problems - no effect.

Last edited:

Tornik

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I tried running Driver Verifier and removed some drivers that were causing further BSoDs and freezes upon logging in to Windows, but it still didn't solve this problem.

Last edited:

Tornik

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I've also done the sfc /scannow scan, checked that all drivers are up-to-date, and done malware and virus scans. No issues detected anywhere. Windows page file is also set to automatic.

I also need to mention that this issue started appearing some months ago, whereas it didn't occur with the simulation game before then. So it's more likely a software issue than hardware failure (if I'm approaching it with the correct logic).

Tornik

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I reset Windows installation and the issue went away for a couple of gaming sessions, but it just came back during another one.