[SOLVED] Budget GPU compliant with 180W PSU?

Solution
Could you link something halfway decent? I really have no clue what I'm looking at or doing, I'm just knowledgable enough to know the acronyms and what not lol

I honestly was not aware how quickly the PSU landscape has changed over the last few months. On NewEgg there are a couple of really low end Apevia PSU that fit your budget and they are worse than the EVGA IMO.
Keep in mind that Amazon may not be shipping all items until next month.

With what I am seeing, price and product wise on PSU right now I could not in good faith recommend you do anything for now unless you happen across something used.

4745454b

Titan
Honestly I'd upgrade the entire system. Assuming you don't want to max out the psu but only load it to ~75% of output you need to stay below 135W. Assuming a normal system of board, two ram sticks, spinning drive, etc, you can remove another 50W or so. This leaves 75W? Assuming a 65W or so cpu and you really only have ~10W for the gpu. This of course isn't possible. If you upgrade you case and psu you can get something worth your money.

Feb 3, 2020
Honestly I'd upgrade the entire system. Assuming you don't want to max out the psu but only load it to ~75% of output you need to stay below 135W. Assuming a normal system of board, two ram sticks, spinning drive, etc, you can remove another 50W or so. This leaves 75W? Assuming a 65W or so cpu and you really only have ~10W for the gpu. This of course isn't possible. If you upgrade you case and psu you can get something worth your money.

I have prebuilt HP 550-310 capable of an ATX PSU swap out...

What kind of PSU would I be able to put in whilst saving $$ and also being the bare minimum for required GPU?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have prebuilt HP 550-310 capable of an ATX PSU swap out...

What kind of PSU would I be able to put in whilst saving $$ and also being the bare minimum for required GPU?

With that prebuilt I would check to see if it has proprietary PSU cabling, particularly for the mobo. Adapters are available, so it "could" (perhaps) be swapped.

Check here for a good idea on suggest power supply requirements.
https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Feb 3, 2020
With that prebuilt I would check to see if it has proprietary PSU cabling, particularly for the mobo. Adapters are available, so it "could" (perhaps) be swapped.

Check here for a good idea on suggest power supply requirements.
https://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I'm currently looking at an old R9 290 as a swap in
(https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r9-290.c2397)

It seems to require a minimum of 600W, do you know of a decent budget PSU with those requirements?

I'm trying not to go over $150 with GPU+PSU as the system is already obsolete, it just happens to run R6 Siege at 28-30 FPS, so, it does what I need it to do but I would like a slight FPS uptick

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Looking here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05157659

It appears that your motherboard will accept a standard ATX power supply.

I note that the room inside is listed.

Chassis

• Height: 36.39 cm (14.33 in)
  • Width: 16.51 cm (6.50 in)
  • Depth: 37.50 cm (14.88 in)

You need to be sure whatever GPU selected will fit within those parameters.

You should readily be able to find an inexpensive 'ketchup/mustard" PSU from a name brand ~$40 or so. Pick wattage based on GPU selection.

Feb 3, 2020
Looking here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05157659

It appears that your motherboard will accept a standard ATX power supply.

I note that the room inside is listed.

Chassis

• Height: 36.39 cm (14.33 in)
  • Width: 16.51 cm (6.50 in)
  • Depth: 37.50 cm (14.88 in)
You need to be sure whatever GPU selected will fit within those parameters.

You should readily be able to find an inexpensive 'ketchup/mustard" PSU from a name brand ~$40 or so. Pick wattage based on GPU selection.

Do you think something like this would do the trick? (https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Certified-100-W1-0600-K1-Power-Supply/dp/B0160XJAQK)

Thank you for all the help

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Do you think something like this would do the trick? (https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Certified-100-W1-0600-K1-Power-Supply/dp/B0160XJAQK)

Thank you for all the help

Where I cannot 100% confirm the proper space (etc.) for this without looking at it, physically, I would say yes.
I have personally utilized this PSU in budget focused builds. I have targeted them for just at 50% or a little more of their rated load because they are NOT high quality. EVGA makes good ones, this one isn't it...the good ones also aren't ~$35 like this one is. EDIT- DO NOT PAY $62 plus for this.-EDIT

I echo the sentiment above in that if you can afford a slightly better PSU it's a good thing. As mentioned by 47, I have also had exceptional performance from Corsair units.
I would further mention that IMO look for something along the lines of a RX570? Should fit right in with that budget target. More card than the CPU can keep up with.

Feb 3, 2020
I wouldn't get one of those. I also wouldn't get a 290. They are really old and due to the 300W load they have they didn't age well. What do you have now?

A grey cx 450 with a 1050 or similar is what I'd shoot for.

I'm running a dumpster juice build lol

A10-8750, integrated R7 1GB
16GB RAM
180W PSU

Basically just running a glorified POS laptop in desktop form, but really I'm just trying to get an extra 10 FPS in R6 Siege before I run this thing into the dirt

Feb 3, 2020
Where I cannot 100% confirm the proper space (etc.) for this without looking at it, physically, I would say yes.
I have personally utilized this PSU in budget focused builds. I have targeted them for just at 50% or a little more of their rated load because they are NOT high quality. EVGA makes good ones, this one isn't it...the good ones also aren't ~$35 like this one is. EDIT- DO NOT PAY $62 plus for this.-EDIT

I echo the sentiment above in that if you can afford a slightly better PSU it's a good thing. As mentioned by 47, I have also had exceptional performance from Corsair units.
I would further mention that IMO look for something along the lines of a RX570? Should fit right in with that budget target. More card than the CPU can keep up with.

Could you link something halfway decent? I really have no clue what I'm looking at or doing, I'm just knowledgable enough to know the acronyms and what not lol

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I honestly was not aware how quickly the PSU landscape has changed over the last few months. On NewEgg there are a couple of really low end Apevia PSU that fit your budget and they are worse than the EVGA IMO.

With what I am seeing, price and product wise on PSU right now I could not in good faith recommend you do anything for now unless you happen across something used.

Solution
Feb 3, 2020

Alright, I'll hold off for a bit, it's nothing pressing any way just decided to see what I could do spur of the moment

I appreciate all the help, thank you very much!