Budget RAM and SSD upgrade choices

el_don

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer having built it several years ago and not really changed anything since.

I was initially planning a foray into RAM and an SSD. My first thoughts are to double the existing 2 * 2G sticks of RAM to a total of 4 * 2GB sticks and to support my 500GB SATA HDD with a 250GB SDD.

For the RAM, I was looking at Crucial. I found, however, that the suggested items were available a little cheaper on Amazon. At least, I think those are the same memory sticks.

As to the SSD, this seemed like the best option I could find within a reasonable budget.

The total cost to upgrade my system here is less than £100 but I think it will have a really significant impact on my computer.

I just wanted to ask the community if these upgrades seemed sensible (and if the prices seem reasonable!) or if there were better options out there I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance!

el_don

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I'd ideally like to keep the total spending below £100, so the larger RAM you've linked there won't work for me. The SSD, however, seems golden. I looked at some comparisons between the 850 EVO and the MX200 and it seems you're absolutely right - the 850 EVO rates as the better product.

I'll run with the original RAM and the recommended SSD for now. Thanks for the input!

el_don

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Huh. Turns out the RAM you linked is free shipping to Ireland whereas the one I was looking at was going to cost another £7. So I figured, for the extra cost of about £10, I can double the RAM I'm buying. Thanks for the link!