Apr 10, 2021
So, I recently bought this case-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X2P3TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1--, and got it at a steal for $27. It has mixed reviews, so time will tell if the case is worth it or not, but I do want to work on finding just the basics for now, so I can get it up, and running.

According to this-- https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/six-basic-components-computer-needs-function-23240.html--, there are six essentials for the Desktop to work. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, ROM, Secondary Sotrage, and Software/OS(I have this sixth option decided upon.

So, the item description says the tower can fit ATX, Mini-ATX, and I don't have the main site pulled up to show me the third one, but there was a third form factor on the list. I'm mainly focusing on ATX, because most of the motherboards look decently sized. So, I kinda wanna see if someone could help me budget a relatively low-cost VR build. I simply want to run Oculus Quest with Oculus Link-- compatibility here: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/.

So, I feel like the motherboard/CPU come first. What would you recommend?

Now, I'm not too big on PC/Desktop jargon, so do be patient with me if I misunderstand something, lol. And, if possible, could I probably save money and just import a couple of parts from my OptiPlex 7010, and save some bucks there?

Updates will come with each additional question, so going to try and make it a Q&A for people who find this in the future.

Question 1: https://duckduckgo.com/?q="ATX"+motherboard&t=brave&iar=shopping&iax=shopping&ia=shopping These are what I am looking at, currently. Are the ones in this search any good?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
So, would the i5-10400F prevent me from needing a GPU, or would I likely still need it?
The i5-10400F does not have integrated graphics, only the i5-10400. Plus, the integrated graphics on that CPU (Intel UHD 630) aren't that good and you'll most likely require a discrete gaming GPU if you want to see smooth performance. However, GPU prices are really high at the moment so I personally recommend you get something like a Ryzen 5 3400G (this requires a new mobo change to fit the AM4 chipset) which has Vega 11 integrated graphics. Vega 11 will be more than enough if you're looking to build a budget gaming PC. The good thing about getting this CPU is you'll be able to save some money on your power supply because the CPU is less demanding in the amount of power it needs.

Reactions: EnrohNyved

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The i5-10400F does not have integrated graphics, only the i5-10400. Plus, the integrated graphics on that CPU (Intel UHD 630) aren't that good and you'll most likely require a discrete gaming GPU if you want to see smooth performance. However, GPU prices are really high at the moment so I personally recommend you get something like a Ryzen 5 3400G (this requires a new mobo change to fit the AM4 chipset) which has Vega 11 integrated graphics. Vega 11 will be more than enough if you're looking to build a budget gaming PC. The good thing about getting this CPU is you'll be able to save some money on your power supply because the CPU is less demanding in the amount of power it needs.
He would be better of with getting a dedicated gpu on the used market with that 10400(f)/11400(f) than going APU . And i mean some thing that you can still decently use, not something really low end.

Apr 10, 2021
What country are you shopping in?
What is your build budget?

GPUs are basically non-existent, or cost 2-3x MSRP right now.
US shopping, and I don't really have a base budget, I'm mainly gonna add up the total when it's running. And GPUs are an issue, sure, but I shall figure that out when I get there.

Apr 10, 2021
US shopping, and I don't really have a base budget, I'm mainly gonna add up the total when it's running. And GPUs are an issue, sure, but I shall figure that out when I get there.
I just wanna go 1 piece at a time, so Motherboard is my first target. I make about $350/week, and get to keep about $50/week after billing and rent sharing.