Question Building a PC for competitive gaming + streaming (Fortnite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2019
Hi guys, Im new to PC building and I'm looking to build a rig capable of maintaining a 200 +FPS while streaming. I basically starting from scratch and so I need everything, including OS, monitor, Keyb&mouse, etc. I have a budget of 3000$ CAD and I would really appreciate any guidance and help.

Jun 9, 2019
Thanks wildcard, I will be playing forntite . I want to add that Ill probably be using wifi and I also have a 60 hz monitor Ill be using for the stream.

Last edited:
Do you know if you are going to stream using CPU encoding or GPU encoding (especially NVENC with the RTX GPUs)? I've heard that the GPU encoding from NVENC on RTX cards do a pretty good job compared to x264. So no matter what kind of CPU you decide to get, an RTX GPU card would probably be the best option.

Jun 9, 2019
Honestly ChinChin I have no idea; like I said previously I am very new to this. The one thing i am certain about is that I need to build a PC capable of playing/streaming fortnite at 200+ FPS. Do you think it is possible with either of the builds above?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $638.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $79.99 @ Canada Computers
Motherboard | Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $189.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory | Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $100.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage | Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $134.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card | Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card | $948.50 @ Vuugo
Case | Deepcool - MATREXX 55 ATX Mid Tower Case | $109.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply | Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $106.81 @ Amazon Canada
Operating System | Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $129.25 @ Newegg Canada
Monitor | LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor | $417.99 @ PC-Canada
Keyboard | G.Skill - RIPJAWS KM780R RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard | $87.89 @ Amazon Canada
Mouse | Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse | $39.99 @ Canada Computers
Headphones | Logitech - G230 Headset | $53.94 @ Amazon Canada
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $3039.31
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-10 13:43 EDT-0400 |
Revised list.
This offers a better CPU with a 5ghz turbo as well as 8 cores and 16 threads.
I added more RGB. The case has RGB fans included and looks great. I have helped someone build in this case. It's easy to build in since it is large and even fits EATX boards. Ram is RGB, keyboard and mouse are RGB. Liquid cooler is RGB.

This PSU is identical to a Seasonic focus gold 750, but cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019
I really appreciate the help remix. Before I jump in and order all these parts, have you seen or helped someone with a build similar to this one. If so what are their impressions after the fact. I really want be sure Im making the right choice when it comes to performance and my needs because ill be dedicating a lot of time and money for this project.

WildCard999

Titan
A friend of mine streams Apex via Twitch. Not sure what his streaming settings are but he is using a 9700K/GTX 1080 on a 1080P/240hz monitor. Roughly gets around 180-220 FPS depending on the action I think he told me it was a mix of med/high settings but I'd have to verify that with him. His CPU/GPU are at stock (no OC besides factory OC on GPU). Fortnite should be a little bit easier to run/stream then Apex.

Jun 9, 2019
I really appreciate this guys; its been extremely helpful. Ok so it basically comes down to your two differing builds. Is there anything you guys would argue in favour for your build vs the other or is there things you guys like in the other's build. Is there a medium between the two or would you pick one over the other. As of right now I am more inclined towards the last build you posted remix but I would love to hear your opinion on it Wildcard.

WildCard999

Titan
I really appreciate this guys; its been extremely helpful. Ok so it basically comes down to your two differing builds. Is there anything you guys would argue in favour for your build vs the other or is there things you guys like in the other's build. Is there a medium between the two or would you pick one over the other. As of right now I am more inclined towards the last build you posted remix but I would love to hear your opinion on it Wildcard.
The 9900K & 2080 is the build to get, so much so I deleted my build response lol. Be sure to connect that monitor to the GPU via Displayport and set it up correctly to you can use Freesync.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Jun 9, 2019
Hahahah, thanks so much Wildcard and you as well Remix. I will be ordering the parts next week and am hopeful than I can build it properly. Is there any videos or instructions you guys would recommend me looking at before picking up the screwdriver?

Well if I hadn't noticed the comparable but much cheaper monitor in wildcards post i wouldn't have been able to budget the RTX 2080 and 9900k.

There was a few benefits to his list, but i think my list may provide a higher overall fps. Also, keyboard and mouse preference veries per person. You could swap the keyboard and mouse out for your liking.

I find this 3-part video series by pauls hardware very easy to follow.
Part 1:
View: https://youtu.be/gHY6ygHj80c

Tips: If it doesn't fit, don't force it. Also, the 8 pin for cpu and the 8 pin for pcie power are not the same. If one doesnt fit, its the wrong one.

Jun 9, 2019
The bundled board will work and give you wifi.
Not sure if I would pick the Asus over the Gigabyte tho.

There seems to be some controversy on the VRM of the Asus board, where it features a "4+2 phase design that uses “8 phases worth” of MOSFETs, drivers, chokes and capacitors for those 4 CPU phases."
Honestly, the Gigabyte board seems to have a more traditional and potentially better VRM using a 10+2 phase design (doubled)
I would wait for another opinion on which is better.
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...s-rog-strix-z390-e-gaming-motherboard-review/
https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...0-vrm-discussion-thread-215.html#post27655908
I would think both could handle a 9900k.

Jun 9, 2019
Perfect thanks remix, I should have all the parts except for the monitor by tomorrow. Do you think I can start the building process? I still have the 60 hz monitor i can run tests on.

Jun 9, 2019
Will I have to purchase a Displayport cable speretaly or will it come with the monitor. Also do you guys think I will be able to play on the 60 HZ monitor while I wait for the other to come in?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Fortnite uses only 4 cores fully and extra 2-4 cores (partially) when multithreaded rendering option is used ( from fortnite settings ). So basically its one of the games where only single core performance matters so what everyone said about 9900k is good choice. You basically need fastest cpu:s around to get stable 240 fps in fortnite and it will anyway have some dips below 150-200 in endgame even with i9-9900k so you might need to overclock it for more single core performance.

I would however go for 24.5 inch monitor instead of 27 inch coming from 10 years semi competitive fps. If your going to invest that much money then going 240hz monitor is obvious, but i suggest going something like BenQ xl2546 or xl2540 which are 24.5 inch monitors, xl2546 has far superior blur reduction compared to g-sync or v-sync called dyac which even some CSGO pros use. XL2540 is somewhat cheaper but wont have dyac. Basically 50% of monitors used by csgo pros is either xl2540 or xl2546 and its a must on almost any event held atm. XL2546 is the only monitor which can strobe above 144hz meaning you can go even 180-240hz strobe

EDIT: you can also turn dyac off in xl2546 if you dont find benefit from it, however i found suitable settings in few hours for it using blur busters application. Im currently at 180hz strobing to reduce strobe crosstalk, however i use this setting only for csgo since i can never get stable 180hz in fortnite with my current rig before i update CPU and motherboard, fortnite i use 240hz without dyac and wont notice screen tearing even when dipping at 100-120fps

Colors look washed at first but there is alot of settings to tweak on this monitor.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019
Alright guys so i already ran into a speed bump trying to unscrew the heatsink for the ssd. I cannot unscrew the bolt holding it place for the life of me. I tried every screwdriver I own and its not working. Any idea on how I should attack the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.