Question Building with new MSI TRX40 PRO WIFI

Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm building a PC with this motherboard in, its got 8 ram slots and I will be using 4 ram sticks, anyone know what order they go in? Never built with a PC that has this many slots and I cant find the answer on the website or anything

edit:
Sorry I was wrong initially, your manual states otherwise. Please refer to page 4 of your manual.
If you have a 4 ram config, you will insert them into slots DIMMD2 and DIMMC2 on the left hand side (1st and 3rd slots).

On the right hand side, you will insert them into DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 (2nd and 3rd DIMM slots) refer to page 26 for the labeling of the slots.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
edit:
Sorry I was wrong initially, your manual states otherwise. Please refer to page 4 of your manual.
If you have a 4 ram config, you will insert them into slots DIMMD2 and DIMMC2 on the left hand side (1st and 3rd slots).

On the right hand side, you will insert them into DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 (2nd and 3rd DIMM slots) refer to page 26 for the labeling of the slots.
Hi,

I built the computer today, it boots fine but I get no signal to the monitor, I think this might be the issue, thanks for the update I will troublshoot it tomorrow, hopefully putting them back in the right slots fixes it.

yellowcardyc

Official Forum Representative
Jan 8, 2020
Hi,

I built the computer today, it boots fine but I get no signal to the monitor, I think this might be the issue, thanks for the update I will troublshoot it tomorrow, hopefully putting them back in the right slots fixes it.
What does the POST code say when you get no signal to the monitor?
Is DP used? if yes, please try with HDMI if possible.

Hi,

Installing RAM into the wrong slots shouldn't prevent booting, it would just lower the overall performance a bit. But yeah, what Yellowcardyc said, what POST code do you see? What Graphics card and video out port on the graphics card are you using?

Dec 8, 2019
Installing RAM into the wrong slots shouldn't prevent booting, it would just lower the overall performance a bit. But yeah, what Yellowcardyc said, what POST code do you see? What Graphics card and video out port on the graphics card are you using?
Hi,

I was using HDMI and It was not giving me a post code, monitor was simply saying no signal, everything seemed to boot fine but I did notice there was no lights on the Mobo.

I think thats the Creator board, the pro wifi one has no numbers there.

The pro wifi board does have that POST LED panel there. If you're not seeing any numbers upon boot-up then that's a problem. You might be dealing with a bad board but before doing anything make sure the power connectors, RAM, CPU, and Graphics card are all installed properly, and make sure you've flashed your bios to the latest version.

Dec 8, 2019
The pro wifi board does have that POST LED panel there. If you're not seeing any numbers upon boot-up then that's a problem. You might be dealing with a bad board but before doing anything make sure the power connectors, RAM, CPU, and Graphics card are all installed properly, and make sure you've flashed your bios to the latest version.
Hi,

Yeah will be swapping round the ram tonight, I will use the Qflash bios to update the bios as well if this does not work, if its not showing the numbers or the lights then I will get it replaced.

Dec 8, 2019
I cant see where its supposed to be on the board?

I cant see where its supposed to be on the board?

Should be on the bottom right near the onboard fan. It's circled in red on the pic above provided by yellowcard. From amazon and newegg pictures, plus the fact it's a 500$ board, I'm 100% positive it has a post code LED panel.

Please confirm you bought this board:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/TRX40-PRO-WIFI

Because the last gen threadripper board does NOT support the new 3rd gen threadripper.