[SOLVED] Built a PC - No Audio from Audio Jacks?

Aug 13, 2019
I recently just completed my first ever build, and I've run into a host of software issues. One of the more pressing issues is that the audio jacks don't seem to be working.

Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super
Mobo: Asus Prime X570-P
Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Whether I try to plug in my headphones via the audio jack on the case or in the I/O on the motherboard, my PC doesn't even recognize that a device has been connected.

I've currently got a monitor with speakers connected via HDMI to the GPU, and sound comes from them just fine. USB headset works fine as well.

I've tried updating drivers, the BIOS, mobo chipsets, etc. and nothing seems to work. Even in Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers," only 'High Definition Audio Device' and 'NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible WDM' are listed; nothing else. Not sure if that's relevant. I've tried to install Realtek, as I read somewhere that it was necessary, but no matter how many times I install it, it doesn't show up -- I have even tried to show hidden devices.

I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I've spent literally an entire day trying to figure this out and I'm at my wits end, and would really appreciate any assistance with this issue.

Solution
Just posting to update anyone in the future who might have a similar issue. I replaced the motherboard and the audio worked immediately -- Realtek driver is there, no issues. Looks like I just had a bad motherboard.
This catches out many people (including me) ---- because you've installed the Nvidia audio drivers along with the graphics drivers, the audio chip on the RTX 2070 is now the default audio output device (through it's HDMI port).

(Note: USB headphones still work because they have their own built-in sound card)

What I did is completely uninstall the Nvidia driver package then began the installation again but chose the Custom Install option. This allows you to deselect the Nvidia audio drivers before continuing.

When installation is complete, your 3.5mm audio jacks should work again.

Reactions: Skadads
Aug 13, 2019
First of all, thank you so much for your advice.

I've uninstalled both "High Definition Audio Device" and "NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible WDM)", rebooted, and did an install of the NVIDIA driver package. This time I was only left with "High Definition Audio Device," but the same issue still persists.

I then uninstalled both drivers again, uninstalled everything NVIDIA related, rebooted, installed audio drivers from ASUS website as well as Realtek codec, and rebooted again. Still, nothing -- Realtek doesn't even show up in device managers, although I do have the option to uninstall in Programs.

I had my "computer friend" take remote control of my PC for a solid 1.5 hours to try and solve the issue. Not to mention I also spoke with ASUS tech support. It's been assumed that the mobo may just be faulty, so I'm currently waiting for a replacement.

I'll post here if the new mobo solves the issue. I certainly hope it does.

Aug 13, 2019
Just posting to update anyone in the future who might have a similar issue. I replaced the motherboard and the audio worked immediately -- Realtek driver is there, no issues. Looks like I just had a bad motherboard.

Solution