Burning DVD-Video for Sony PS2 Playback

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I recently picked up a DV camcorder (a second-hand TRV900E),
some editing software (Let's Edit from Canopus) and a DVD burner
(Plextor PX-708UF outboard unit). Let's Edit - a powerful but fragile
piece of software - comes bundled with Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 2.
The DVD burner came bundled with Nero 5.5.10.

Using Nero, I copied a home-brew DVD made by a friend of mine
onto a Plextor DVD+R blank and I am able to play it back on my
Sony Playstation 2. So I know that the PS2 can read DVD+R media
as written by the Plextor.

However, if I capture DV video from the camcorder, convert it to an
MPEG Program Stream in Let's Edit, import the MPEG file into DVD
Movie Factory 2, and burn a DVD+R, I can play it back without any
problems on my PC's DVD player, but the Playstation 2 can't read it.
It spins up and down for a while, and reports that it can't read the disk.
I've tried a few variations, depleting my stock of blank DVDs, trying
things like de-selecting VCD compatibility ('cos the PS2 isn't reputed
to be able to deal with VCD's, though it's not clear what difference
this would make on a DVD-Video disk) and backing down the bit
rate from "High Quality" ("8000 bps") to Medium (6000). No difference.

I've spend a fair amount of time this afternoon googling around and
have found various reports of people having problems reading home-brew
DVDs with PS2's, but nothing that would correspond to what I'm seeing,
where it really doesn't look like a media or burner problem, but something
else in the format/organization of the new DVD.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

"Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in message
[snipped]

| Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I've seen similar; try a different brand of DVD+R disks.

SB

"Spam Buster" <s_p_a_m__buster@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:i7eec.35162$LL6.31639@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> "Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in message
> [snipped]
> |
> | Does anyone here have any suggestions?
> |

> I've seen similar; try a different brand of DVD+R disks.

Even though the copy of an existing DVD-Video using the same media worked fine?

I need to buy some more in any case, so I'll get a different brand, but I'm suspicious
that the problem is elsewhere...

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit/author DVD's and they play fine on a
PS/2 using either +R or -R blanks. The original sources have been mpeg (from
analog Hi8) and AVI (from digital Mini DV). I have used different bit rates
and have not yet tripped the PS/2.

Have you tried the DVD in another player besides the PS/2 or a computer? I
would suspect the DVD authoring software.

"Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in message
> I recently picked up a DV camcorder (a second-hand TRV900E),
> some editing software (Let's Edit from Canopus) and a DVD burner
> (Plextor PX-708UF outboard unit). Let's Edit - a powerful but fragile
> piece of software - comes bundled with Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 2.
> The DVD burner came bundled with Nero 5.5.10.
>
> Using Nero, I copied a home-brew DVD made by a friend of mine
> onto a Plextor DVD+R blank and I am able to play it back on my
> Sony Playstation 2. So I know that the PS2 can read DVD+R media
> as written by the Plextor.
>
> However, if I capture DV video from the camcorder, convert it to an
> MPEG Program Stream in Let's Edit, import the MPEG file into DVD
> Movie Factory 2, and burn a DVD+R, I can play it back without any
> problems on my PC's DVD player, but the Playstation 2 can't read it.
> It spins up and down for a while, and reports that it can't read the disk.
> I've tried a few variations, depleting my stock of blank DVDs, trying
> things like de-selecting VCD compatibility ('cos the PS2 isn't reputed
> to be able to deal with VCD's, though it's not clear what difference
> this would make on a DVD-Video disk) and backing down the bit
> rate from "High Quality" ("8000 bps") to Medium (6000). No difference.
>
> I've spend a fair amount of time this afternoon googling around and
> have found various reports of people having problems reading home-brew
> DVDs with PS2's, but nothing that would correspond to what I'm seeing,
> where it really doesn't look like a media or burner problem, but something
> else in the format/organization of the new DVD.
>
> Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. I, too, somewhat suspect the authoring software,
or at least its configuration. I don't have any other DVD players around
the house, but will be going to a major consumer electronics shop
for other reasons tommorrow, and was already planning on bringing
one of the "bad" disks along to see if it works on other players.

I'm also contacting Ulead support to see if there's a known problem
or known work-around. That failing, given that I intend to continue to
use Let's Edit (it seems to be by far the least expensive product to
have the visual effects features I want) which generates MPEG program
and elementary stream files, what DVD authoring program would you
suggest that can import these into a DVD with menus, etc?

And has anyone else out there successfully burnt DVDs for a PS2
using DVD Movie Factory 2 (or 3, for that matter)? If so, what
settings did you use for bit rate, etc.?

"Robert Kane" <getterflash@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:407c9d03$0$19875$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit/author DVD's and they play fine on a
> PS/2 using either +R or -R blanks. The original sources have been mpeg (from
> analog Hi8) and AVI (from digital Mini DV). I have used different bit rates
> and have not yet tripped the PS/2.
>
> Have you tried the DVD in another player besides the PS/2 or a computer? I
> would suspect the DVD authoring software.
>
> "Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in message
> > I recently picked up a DV camcorder (a second-hand TRV900E),
> > some editing software (Let's Edit from Canopus) and a DVD burner
> > (Plextor PX-708UF outboard unit). Let's Edit - a powerful but fragile
> > piece of software - comes bundled with Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 2.
> > The DVD burner came bundled with Nero 5.5.10.
> >
> > Using Nero, I copied a home-brew DVD made by a friend of mine
> > onto a Plextor DVD+R blank and I am able to play it back on my
> > Sony Playstation 2. So I know that the PS2 can read DVD+R media
> > as written by the Plextor.
> >
> > However, if I capture DV video from the camcorder, convert it to an
> > MPEG Program Stream in Let's Edit, import the MPEG file into DVD
> > Movie Factory 2, and burn a DVD+R, I can play it back without any
> > problems on my PC's DVD player, but the Playstation 2 can't read it.
> > It spins up and down for a while, and reports that it can't read the disk.
> > I've tried a few variations, depleting my stock of blank DVDs, trying
> > things like de-selecting VCD compatibility ('cos the PS2 isn't reputed
> > to be able to deal with VCD's, though it's not clear what difference
> > this would make on a DVD-Video disk) and backing down the bit
> > rate from "High Quality" ("8000 bps") to Medium (6000). No difference.
> >
> > I've spend a fair amount of time this afternoon googling around and
> > have found various reports of people having problems reading home-brew
> > DVDs with PS2's, but nothing that would correspond to what I'm seeing,
> > where it really doesn't look like a media or burner problem, but something
> > else in the format/organization of the new DVD.
> >
> > Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I really like the features of Pinnacle Studio 8, and for whatever reason
have not fallen victim to the reputed defects in the product. You can
capture, edit, and author in one package. I have not even explored the free
authoring tools that came with my burners or with Nero 6.
> [...]
disk.
> > > I've tried a few variations, depleting my stock of blank DVDs, trying
> > > things like de-selecting VCD compatibility ('cos the PS2 isn't reputed
> > > to be able to deal with VCD's, though it's not clear what difference
> > > this would make on a DVD-Video disk) and backing down the bit
> > > rate from "High Quality" ("8000 bps") to Medium (6000). No
difference.

> > > I've spend a fair amount of time this afternoon googling around and
> > > have found various reports of people having problems reading home-brew
> > > DVDs with PS2's, but nothing that would correspond to what I'm seeing,
> > > where it really doesn't look like a media or burner problem, but
something
> > > else in the format/organization of the new DVD.
> > >
> > > Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I have Pinnacle Studio 8 (LE), and agree that it's a nicely organized
and integrated tool. However, it lacks some important features that Let's Edit
has, and unfortunately Let's Edit doesn't work on a system in which PS8
has been installed - something that took me a little while to figure out.
I don't think that's Pinnacle's fault, but it does somewhat rule out using
PS8 as a "back end" for DVD production of video edited with Let's Edit.

Since the Playstation 2 was able to play back a movie that had been
copied with Nero 5.5.10, using the same media and burner that
produced unreadable disks using Movie Factory 2, one hope had been
to find a pointer to a procedure whereby the MPEGs from Let's Edit
could be built into a database that Nero would recognize as being burnable
onto a DVD, but I haven't found it yet.

Ulead support did get back to me rather quickly, suggesting, as others
have done, that I try a different format/brand of DVD blank, and that
I experiment with chaging the writing engine between "Ulead" and "NTI".
Now, if only I had any DVD blanks left to experiment with...

"Robert Kane" <getterflash@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:407dfeb6$0$19880$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com...
> I really like the features of Pinnacle Studio 8, and for whatever reason
> have not fallen victim to the reputed defects in the product. You can
> capture, edit, and author in one package. I have not even explored the free
> authoring tools that came with my burners or with Nero 6.
> "Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply. I, too, somewhat suspect the authoring software,
> > or at least its configuration. I don't have any other DVD players around
> > the house, but will be going to a major consumer electronics shop
> > for other reasons tommorrow, and was already planning on bringing
> > one of the "bad" disks along to see if it works on other players.
> >
> > I'm also contacting Ulead support to see if there's a known problem
> > or known work-around. That failing, given that I intend to continue to
> > use Let's Edit (it seems to be by far the least expensive product to
> > have the visual effects features I want) which generates MPEG program
> > and elementary stream files, what DVD authoring program would you
> > suggest that can import these into a DVD with menus, etc?
> >
> > And has anyone else out there successfully burnt DVDs for a PS2
> > using DVD Movie Factory 2 (or 3, for that matter)? If so, what
> > settings did you use for bit rate, etc.?
> >
> > "Robert Kane" <getterflash@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 to edit/author DVD's and they play fine on a
> > > PS/2 using either +R or -R blanks. The original sources have been mpeg
> (from
> > > analog Hi8) and AVI (from digital Mini DV). I have used different bit
> rates
> > > and have not yet tripped the PS/2.
> > >
> > > Have you tried the DVD in another player besides the PS/2 or a computer?
> > > would suspect the DVD authoring software.
> > >
> > > "Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote in
> message

> disk.
> difference.

> something

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

OK, got some +RW disks and ran a few more experiments. It can be made
to work easily enough.

Just so that the next guy can find it in Google:

When burning DVD-Video to be played on a PS2 using Ulead DVD
Movie Factory 2 (through v2.12), it is necessary for me (at least) to change
the default write speed from MAX/4x to a slower speed - the alternative
presented by my PX-708UF burner is 2.4x. 4 out of 4 burns (with various
parameters changed) at 4x speed were readable by my PC's DVD players,
but not the PS2. 3 out of 3 burns at 2.4x are functional on all platforms.

This was done using Plextor +R media for the first 3 experiments at 4x,
and with TDK +RW media for the rest.

Coming from Let's Edit MPEG program stream output files, one can
save time and probably a little quality by allowing MovieFactory 2 to
skip conversion of compatible input files, and that still seems to work
fine with the PS2.