[SOLVED] Burning smell from new psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2022
Ok so I know its normal for a new psu to have a burning smell but I got the psu 3 days ago and for the 2 days I didnt notice any smell until today where I returned from dinner having left my pc on and I smelled psu and it had that burning and then about 20 seconds later I get a bluescreen, im wondering whether its still safe to turn my pc on

Solution
Im wondering whether its still safe to turn my pc on

Did you turn your PC back on?

I have a cx650rgb

No such thing. I'm guessing you mean CX650F?

As the PSU's temp goes up, the fan spins faster and can exhaust more smell. Also, as the PSU temp goes up, it tends to off gas more.

20 seconds later I get a bluescreen

PSUs don't tend to cause BSODs. Have you actually gone into your PC and looked around?
Jan 16, 2022
What is the make/model of the PSU? Have you visibly examined the wiring coming from the PSU for any damage? Any thing look out of sorts?
I have a corsair
What is the make/model of the PSU? Have you visibly examined the wiring coming from the PSU for any damage? Any thing look out of sorts?
I have a cx650rgb also I wont have time to check any wiring today because I am studying for an exam 2 days beforehand so I havent got a lot of time

Jan 16, 2022
If the unit is new and had the smell in correlation to a BSOD I would explore return or RMA options. Hopefully it didn't take any of the hardware out.

I would not try to turn that unit on without knowing more specifics.
It is also possible that it has anything with another component because my last I had an issue where my pc didnt boot but fans turned on and before it stopped working I also had a BSOD with glitched stuff at the bottom 30% of my screen

Im wondering whether its still safe to turn my pc on

I have a cx650rgb

As the PSU's temp goes up, the fan spins faster and can exhaust more smell. Also, as the PSU temp goes up, it tends to off gas more.

20 seconds later I get a bluescreen

PSUs don't tend to cause BSODs. Have you actually gone into your PC and looked around?

Solution
Jan 16, 2022

Perhaps im just thinking for the worst case scenario maybe the flux or whatever it is called is burning off and ive had BSOD's before after leaving my pc idle for about half hour or more, Ill see if I can find any cable that is melted or something when I have more time.
Yes I meant cx650f
I havent yet because I was afraid of causing any damage to my other components

Status
Not open for further replies.