Question Buzzing and coil whine when I move, scroll the mouse or use keyboard.

Jul 5, 2023
So 6 months ago I upgraded to a 5600 b550m ds3h setup from an i5 8400 b360m ds3h. For the past year I've been exclusively using headphones, until a couple of days ago I decided to go back to my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 THX (for health reasons).
Problem is that it doesn't matter what output I connect (headphones, speakers) to the motherboard's 3.5mm rear jack I always get a subtle but noticeable buzzing sound every time a move/scroll the mouse or even use the keyboard for navigation. Also, the mouse starts emitting a loud coil whine while moving (I think it's the sensor).
I solved this by connecting the output device to the front jack. Buzzing and coil whine disappeared. Thing is I sometimes need to use headphones, and If I connect those to the rear jack everything I mentioned will happen.
I tried doing other things like connecting all peripherals as far as I could from the jack, but it didn't do anything. I can't recall having this problem with the old b360m ds3h setup. In fact, I had good audio experience despite being a budget mobo.
Thing's I've seen that I can do is to get an external USB sound card. Others mentioned getting an apple usb-c to jack adapter will do it. Thing is I don't want to sacrifice even more audio quality by getting a crappy solution. I'm even considering getting an M-Track Solo audio interface, but I'm afraid audio will get interference from all the things I have connected to the rear of the PC (peripherals, monitor, controller, external storage, etc.). Is there a good budget usb sound card that doesn't compromise quality that much? The apple adapter will do it? Audio interface won't have problems? What's your best solution for this?

CPU: r5 5600 stock
CPU cooler: stock AMD cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte b550m ds3h
Ram: 16gb ddr4 3000 mhz
SSD/HDD: samsung 980 512gb nvme, kingston 240 sata, 2tb hdd
GPU: XFX SWFT 210 RX 6650 XT
PSU: EVGA 600w white (5 year old)
Chassis: Thermaltake h15
Monitor: Gigabyte G24F 2
Audio: kilpsch pro media 2.1 thx. HyperX cloud mix.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So 6 months ago I upgraded to a 5600 b550m ds3h setup from an i5 8400 b360m ds3h.
Did you reinstall the OS after you performed the platform swap?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Include your audio equipment as well.

Jul 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So 6 months ago I upgraded to a 5600 b550m ds3h setup from an i5 8400 b360m ds3h.
Did you reinstall the OS after you performed the platform swap?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Include your audio equipment as well.
Yes. I usually format the PC at least every 6 months.