Jun 26, 2018
I've been encountering a buzzing sound through my monitors when using my PC, but it worsens when gaming. It sounds like a combination of ground loop, and RF interference. I'm getting my audio via a USB interface, with a set of active monitors plugged into that. I don't get this problem with my wireless headphones or onboard sound.

I've tried changing the following;

• Different USB interface
  • Different active monitors
  • Different speaker cables
  • Different USB cable (from interface to PC)
  • Different plug for power strip
  • Different power strip
  • Different IEC cable (PC)
  • Plugged PC/Monitors/interface into different wall outlets

I'm running out of ideas. One very strange thing is that when I unplug my PC with the speakers/interface on, the speakers emit a loud, low, prolonged booming sound. It then goes away when I plug the PC IEC cable into a power outlet.

I'm guessing it could be my PC's PSU, which would explain why it gets worse when my GPU gets working. Has anyone else got any ideas?

Jun 26, 2018
Just an update - my monitors (Behringer Studio 50USB) don't make any unwanted sound when they're plugged in via USB (with, to be fair, the interface unplugged). Also I don't get any unwanted sound through headphones plugged into the audio interface. So I think it must be bad cables (even though I've used a couple of different ones). I'll order some high-quality balanced TRS cables I think.