Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2018
Many vCPUs are used as multiple vCPU (e.g. 2 vCPU) to 1 core (almost as a sort of hyperthreading). But what would happen if it were the other way around so you had multiple cores (e.g. 2 cores) to 1 vCPU?
Don't question as to why, I would just like to know if it would work.
Thanks,
Joshua123033

Solution
You can assign as many cores/threads as your CPU has towards your vCPU it will show up the same way inside the virtual machine as your real CPU would in your normal OS.
I have a g4560 and I always assign 4threads to my VMware or NOX VMs.

Assigning two or more cores to the same vCORE will not do anything,one software thread is one single thing and can not be divided onto multiple threads.
Also no matter what OS you run if it thinks that it has one core it will only issue to run one thread at a time.
You can assign as many cores/threads as your CPU has towards your vCPU it will show up the same way inside the virtual machine as your real CPU would in your normal OS.

Assigning two or more cores to the same vCORE will not do anything,one software thread is one single thing and can not be divided onto multiple threads.
Also no matter what OS you run if it thinks that it has one core it will only issue to run one thread at a time.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018

So it won't work as the serial processes can't be divided up into parallel for the multiple cores (if I have multiple cores per 1 vCORE).
Thanks for the quick reply!
Also as a follow up question, (as I briefly mentioned in my original question), is assigning multiple vCOREs to one physical core a sort of multithreading. Could then an i5 with 2 vCORE per pCORE be like an i7?

SpicyCatGames

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
So it won't work as the serial processes can't be divided up into parallel for the multiple cores (if I have multiple cores per 1 vCORE).
Thanks for the quick reply!
Also as a follow up question, (as I briefly mentioned in my original question), is assigning multiple vCOREs to one physical core a sort of multithreading. Could then an i5 with 2 vCORE per pCORE be like an i7?
No, it will perform worse due to context switching. It will waste time saving the task of one core then picking up the task of other core over and over again, time which could be spent doing actual work.

Status
Not open for further replies.