teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Hi, so I have a bit of a conundrum and I’ve been tearing my hair out for the past two days over it and I thought I’d ask the community. I recently purchased a new 7900 GRE graphics card and when I initially installed it and jumped in a game there was a few stutters in the first minute, but then everything smooth out. The previous graphics card I had was a 6750 xt that I didn’t remember to uninstall the drivers before installing the new card and just let adrenaline handle the driver switch, which was probably a mistake.

After an hour of gaming, I needed to go to the gym so I started closing everything and I hit the overclock option in the adrenaline software and it started overclocking something? I could not stop the software from doing what it was doing so I just pressed the power button for a long time and the computer shut off.

When I came back and restarted the computer, everything seemed fine. However, I walked away from it and when I came back, the computer would not wake up. I again held the power button and from then on every time I tried to start the computer it would get to the home screen and then restart itself. Every troubleshooting thing I did seem to make the problem worse, and I ended up having to reinstall Windows….

Before I reinstalled Windows I updated the bios to the most current one. I first tried to reinstall windows with the new card, however, that was problematic so I ended up uninstalling the card and just using the onboard integrated graphics.

My issue is this, I now can’t underclock my CPU with precision boost overdrive. No matter what, if the new GPU is in the system or using onboard graphics If I enable precision boost overdrive, the computer will restart itself after I get to the home screen. if I switch the bios back to stock, it seems to be stable, but I haven’t tested it for an extended period more than like 10 to 20 minutes.

I am wondering if when I canceled the overclock process, it was actually overclocking the CPU and I screwed up something in the bios? Or I have a bad card that fried a component? I will also say when I first got the components for the system I had nothing but problems getting the system stable which I blamed on my motherboard but once I did, it has been rock solid for over a year. All the components were new and I honestly don’t think it’s the power supply which is a Corsair 850w but I guess it could be. If anybody has any thoughts, that would be helpful. I would appreciate it.

MBD: Asus X670E-A
CPU: Ryzen 7900X cpu
GPU 7900 GRE
SSD: 2 x WD_SN850X
PSU: Corsair 850w
RAM: 32GB Gskill

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Hey there,

Which exact model Corsair PSU is it?
Thanks for replying . This one. And the thing about it is when it’s at stock it seems fine and if it were the power supply when I under volt the system, it seems like it would only help matters. The power supply is drawing less power when it’s unvolted as the system always restarts just sitting there idling on the home screen.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm85...-850-w/p/N82E16817139302?Item=N82E16817139302

Last edited:
Thanks for replying . This one. And the thing about it is when it’s at stock it seems fine and if it were the power supply when I under volt the system, it seems like it would only help matters. The power supply is drawing less power when it’s unfolded as the system always restarts just sitting there idling on the home screen.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rm85...-850-w/p/N82E16817139302?Item=N82E16817139302
It's a really good PSU. It could be faulty. Can you get another to swap out and test?

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
It's a really good PSU. It could be faulty. Can you get another to swap out and test?
Sigh, I do have another power supply in my home theater PC, however I spent weeks trying to find the absolute smallest form factor case for a full size ATX board(I actually wanted an ITX board but Micro Center was doing one of those $350 component deals) and it took forever to wire everything into that small little case as the power supply is not modular…lol. I however think, I might’ve found the culprit? Do you remember when there was an issue with the Ryzen CPUs melting because of the SOC voltage? The initial bios that Asus released to fix the issue didn’t go far enough and some people on Reddit recommended doing -5 offset on the SOC voltage. When I saved my profile before I updated the bios I completely forgot about that setting. I’ve been undervolting the board with to low an soc voltage this whole time I think. I enabled precision boost overdrive and everything seems to be running well with the SOC voltage sent to auto. I have not yet put the new graphics card in and tested it though so we”ll see if the same problems come up once I do that. Anyway, thanks for the thought and keep me in your prayers. Lol

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Aye. After a bios update/CMOS clear, the new bios will have changed some voltage baslines for various parts of the mobo. After, it's always advisable to do your Overclocks/Undervolts from scratch, as too many voltage tolerences make an odler set up very unstable.

Glad you got it sorted! Result :)

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Aye. After a bios update/CMOS clear, the new bios will have changed some voltage baslines for various parts of the mobo. After, it's always advisable to do your Overclocks/Undervolts from scratch, as too many voltage tolerences make an odler set up very unstable.

Glad you got it sorted! Result :)
Yeah, i thought about that, but I mean can a new GPU screw up your underclock? I’ve never had a problem with it before, though this is my first Ryzen system. I mean the new negative offsets are substantially worse than the ones I had…

TRENDING THREADS