Question Can a grounded pc makes its parts grounded as well?

Feb 11, 2021
2
0
10
0
I have a pc that will shock you a little whenever you touch its metal part case, and im planning to make use some of its parts(ssd and hdd) to my new built one.

So im wondering if it is safe to do so?

Will my new system unit be affected if i use components that came from grounded pc unit?Thanks in advance
 

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Once you unplug the pc, and touch the case, you equalize the static electrical charge on you and the pc. Any further touching shouldn't affect anything unless you are bouncing around on a carpet in a low humidity room.

Just touch the case before grabbing anything inside. Do Not plug the pc back in as that provides a pathway for the electrical discharge which can put all components at risk.
 
Feb 11, 2021
2
0
10
0
Oh thanks!

So just to confirm, will there be no problem if I re-use those components that came from grounded pc to a new one?
 

Krotow

Commendable
Oct 2, 2019
1,010
249
1,590
15
In general you can use all parts from that PC.

May happen that you got shocked not from PC, but from some other connected device - monitor or router for example. Lack of proper grounding works like that. To be sure why PC shocked you, put it on normal floor (not on carpet), stand on same ground by yourself and disconnect other parts in order - network cable, monitor cable, wall plug. Touch some PC case metallic part after disconnecting next part. May turn out that it was not PC that shocked you. For example in 220V AC mains countries is possible to be shocked through Ethernet cable with 127V where router at other end is plugged in different mains phase and at least one device is not grounded.
 

jay32267

Illustrious
I have a pc that will shock you a little whenever you touch its metal part case, and im planning to make use some of its parts(ssd and hdd) to my new built one.

So im wondering if it is safe to do so?

Will my new system unit be affected if i use components that came from grounded pc unit?Thanks in advance
There's a decent chance that the shocks from the old PC were due to a bad PSU.
I wouldn't reuse the PSU.
 

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psus are grounded internally. Then grounded externally to the case by the mounting screws.

The only way a 'bad' psu would be an issue has more to do with the cord and outlets of the house and a lot less to do with whether a psu is bad or not.
 
Reactions: Krotow

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS