[SOLVED] Can boot to windows but can't access bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2021
specs:

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7

i7 6700k

(2 x 16) HyperX RAM

Everything was working fine until I tried 2 Corsair RAM sticks to chek if they were defective and they booted just fine, but when I went back to my old HyperX sticks I noticed there was no spashscreen and when I tried to access the bios there was just a black screen and the error code it got stuck on was A0 which is IDE initialization started (is it suposed to be good?).

I've already tried clear CMOS, unplugging and take the CMOS battery for around 10 minutes and flashing the bios with the current and previous versions, nothing worked. if I take away the ssd it doesn't boot but doesn't go to bios either.

I just ran out of ideas, please help.

EDIT: I solved the issue, last night before I went to sleep I removed both ram sticks and turned it on, when the pc can't boot it power cycles until ti can. I have set the led to blue so I waited until it turned red because that's the default color and that meant that the bios has been reset. in the middle of those power cycles I inserted 1 ram stick and after about 2 cycles the bios showed a message saying bios settings have been reset, after clicking the ok button the spashcreen showed up and I could enter the bios again. thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I don't note that this motherboard has a BIOS flashback button. How exactly are you flashing BIOS version without access to do so? I assume by using the @ BIOS Utility within Windows?

In many cases you will also find that once you move forward on a BIOS revision that there is no coming back, and there are notes within your BIOS revisions stating so very clearly. This could be an issue in itself...

If you are able to use the above to change BIOS revision is indicative that you can boot to Windows. Have you tried to use the Recovery/Advanced Startup path to boot to BIOS out of OS?

Aside from the above one would assume that resetting CMOS would remove any memory profiles and have the motherboard run the RAM at it's base speed. In some cases when you swap RAM the motherboard may need to restart a time or two uninterrupted in order to get the speed and timing right.
Is there any possibility that you discharged static to the system while messing around inside?

Sep 20, 2021
I don't note that this motherboard has a BIOS flashback button. How exactly are you flashing BIOS version without access to do so? I assume by using the @ BIOS Utility within Windows?

In many cases you will also find that once you move forward on a BIOS revision that there is no coming back, and there are notes within your BIOS revisions stating so very clearly. This could be an issue in itself...

If you are able to use the above to change BIOS revision is indicative that you can boot to Windows. Have you tried to use the Recovery/Advanced Startup path to boot to BIOS out of OS?

Aside from the above one would assume that resetting CMOS would remove any memory profiles and have the motherboard run the RAM at it's base speed. In some cases when you swap RAM the motherboard may need to restart a time or two uninterrupted in order to get the speed and timing right.
Is there any possibility that you discharged static to the system while messing around inside?

yes, I used @bios to flash the bios I had the version F22m and I only went back to the F22i and then to F22m again.

I did tried to use Recovery/Advanced Startup I just pressed shift while restarting and then pressed troubleshoot and go to UEFI but the result is the same as pressing delete on startup so basically a black screen until I shut it down and the error code gets stuck in A0 also tried the Fast Boot app from AppCenter which also has a go to bios button and it's the same result

also my old RAM is detected correctly and in windows it shows that it runs at it's base speed 2133 mhz. and no, I was careful as to not touch any pins form the ram or the motherboard.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Admittedly I find myself a bit confused by the lack of apparent information about your BIOS revisions and CPU support up to or after a certain point. F20 and above states "support 7th gen" and states you can't go back. The 6700 says "supported since F3" but doesn't specifically state that going beyond F20 would cause issue or not to work.

In the cases where I have used the above method to boot to BIOS out of Windows it typically does a restart, small process goes on, shut down, then will reboot again into BIOS. Not sure if you are acting too quickly, perhaps?

Sep 20, 2021
Admittedly I find myself a bit confused by the lack of apparent information about your BIOS revisions and CPU support up to or after a certain point. F20 and above states "support 7th gen" and states you can't go back. The 6700 says "supported since F3" but doesn't specifically state that going beyond F20 would cause issue or not to work.

In the cases where I have used the above method to boot to BIOS out of Windows it typically does a restart, small process goes on, shut down, then will reboot again into BIOS. Not sure if you are acting too quickly, perhaps?

yeah, after the Z270 boards came out, the only updates I recieved were security updates and yeah I also read that F20 version warning, but how I interpreted it was that I couldn't go to earlier vesions and the earliest I could go would be F20, I think that's how it works.

the going to bios from windows method doesn't work, I don't push any buttons during the process but I waited in a black screen for about 3 to 5 minutes before deciding to shut it down. I could try to leave it for longer but I need to use the PC for some work first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have dual bios capabilities on that board. Shut down, flip the switch. Should boot to a factory set bios. It's entirely possible that the current bios is corrupted, but only in the sense of not being able to be accessed. After that you should be able to reset the first bios. Unless necessary, I'd not mess with the second bios at all, leave it factory original or update just enough to make the cpu usable, but nothing near current.

Sep 20, 2021
You have dual bios capabilities on that board. Shut down, flip the switch. Should boot to a factory set bios. It's entirely possible that the current bios is corrupted, but only in the sense of not being able to be accessed. After that you should be able to reset the first bios. Unless necessary, I'd not mess with the second bios at all, leave it factory original or update just enough to make the cpu usable, but nothing near current.
I read the manual and unfortunately it doesn't work like that.when the switch is in position 1 the mother board runs on dual bios mode and in position 2 runs on single bios mode, as far as I know, the second bios only triggers when it detects that the main bios can't boot or something like that

View: https://imgur.com/a/9vPNGyj

Status
Not open for further replies.