Question Can CPU overheat caused because of RAM?

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Something very weird happened few days ago and I don't understand it. Due to some reasons, I unplugged my memory sticks (which I've been using for years) from slots and put them in another PC (wanted to test if that PC would run them well, because it's motherboard is very picky and had no luck with lots of RAMs). Then, when that PC run them okay, I took them out from it and put those memory sticks back in my motherboard. At first run, there was no monitor signal. I don't remember what did I do, did I just rebooted my PC manually or unplugged and plugged those memory sticks back in mobo, but on second try, PC booted well. Everything seemed fine until I noticed in the evening that my PC was making big noise. I got curious what was happening. Removed the panel of case and seemed like cooler was running on it's full force. I put my hand on CPU cooler (I have water cooler) and it was very hot. I checked temperatures with appropriate software and was shocked to see that they were very high. Both, CPU and motherboard temperatures were running on 100 degree celsius. I got scared and turned off PC. Took out those two memory sticks again (in total I have 4 sticks inside), put them back, turned on my PC and problem was same. Again, turned PC off & this time took out all 4 memory sticks, went to take a shower for 30 minutes or so and then when I was ready, put all memory sticks back in the motherboard, turned on my PC and this time everything was fine. Temperatures were fine. Since that, PC is working normal.

Now, I'm wondering, what could happen? How is it even possible that memory sticks could cause CPU overheat? Is it possible? And, is it even possible that I didn't put those memory sticks well in slots and this could cause this? But I took them out and in at least 2 times and it didn't help, until I took all 4 sticks and also turned off PC for a long time. And those memory sticks are very solid, I've been using them for years (G.Skill Trident X, 2400mhz, but I let them work on 1600mhz, because my CPU can't handle higher frequency stable). This problem only occurred only on that day, when I did this unplugging and replugging those memory sticks.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure that your PUMP is actually running in bios, aka check the speed in monitoring tab.
I don't know how to check PUMP in bios, but in monitoring software of my bios everything looks fine:
wzIRdtz.png

As I said, now everything is working fine. This weird thing with temperatures happened only once, that day, when I was took out and then put back memory sticks.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
That doesn't sound right. If your CPU utilization was max and you were getting high temperatures, thats one thing, but it sounds like you were getting them at idle. I would think that it is more likely you accidently hit something else related to your cooling when you put the sticks in and out over and over. If your CPU cooler is on right with adequate thermal paste and the fan is spinning, you should have normal temperatures at idle. There is nothing the memory can do with the processor at idle to make its temperature go up.

Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't sound right. If your CPU utilization was max and you were getting high temperatures, thats one thing, but it sounds like you were getting them at idle. I would think that it is more likely you accidently hit something else related to your cooling when you put the sticks in and out over and over. If your CPU cooler is on right with adequate thermal paste and the fan is spinning, you should have normal temperatures at idle. There is nothing the memory can do with the processor at idle to make its temperature go up.
I'm thinking maybe something went wrong inside cooler and bubble got there? Because when I was taking out memory sticks, I put my case horizontally on the floor. Even though, temps are normal now, I noticed that when computer is at load, for example, when I'm playing video game, pump makes weird sound. And I read this article today. My cooler is quite old and maybe it's really dying now. I don't wanna risk, since it's a water cooler, so I decided to upgrade my cooler. On weekends I will get new cooler. I have few options in local stores. I was thinking to get Deepcool Lucifer V2, but it's too big and I will have to take off my G.Skill Trident X-s upper radiators which I don't want and later I found better cooler in another store - Arctic Freezer 34 esports. I've been reading reviews of these coolers whole day and I think this last one will be perfect for me. I read only positive reviews and ratings for that Arctic cooler. It's also 10$ cheaper and has room for memory sticks. So, if nothing bad happens, on weekend, I'll visit that local store and buy that Arctic cooler. I don't wanna go with liquid cooling again. It's risky.