Question can high GPUtemps crash pc?

firstslayer09

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I've been in this battle for a few months now on my pc freezing during gameplay. I updated my drivers, scanned my files, and even reinstalled windows. So I figured it had to be hardware related. My first guess was the PSU. So i replaced it, i also watercooled my CPU to rule that out, plus i did a bit of dusting and cleaned all my case/gpu fans.

this only helped for a few weeks. Just today, my pc is back to freezing during gameplay. I check MSI afterburner and see my GPU is still reaching high temps. Normally when i launch MSI afterburner the temp limit is 83c and power limit is at 100, but if i increase the temp limit to 87 which is the max, it can reach that during gameplay! So now im wondering if my pc freezing can be sourced down to this issue.

any knowledge and insight will help! thank you.

p.s i have a Gigabyte RTX 2060 oc which at idle sits at 50c.

I've been in this battle for a few months now on my pc freezing during gameplay. I updated my drivers, scanned my files, and even reinstalled windows. So I figured it had to be hardware related. My first guess was the PSU. So i replaced it, i also watercooled my CPU to rule that out, plus i did a bit of dusting and cleaned all my case/gpu fans.

this only helped for a few weeks. Just today, my pc is back to freezing during gameplay. I check MSI afterburner and see my GPU is still reaching high temps. Normally when i launch MSI afterburner the temp limit is 83c and power limit is at 100, but if i increase the temp limit to 87 which is the max, it can reach that during gameplay! So now im wondering if my pc freezing can be sourced down to this issue.

any knowledge and insight will help! thank you.

p.s i have a Gigabyte RTX 2060 oc which at idle sits at 50c.
Thats a high idle temp i would restore card to defaulf settings in msi afterburner and raise fan speeds to max for a little bit see how that does on temps at idle for about 1hr 2hr's

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpus usually 'idle' at @ 3ish °C ± above the cpu. So if it's at 50 and the cpu isn't, you have an airflow issue, the gpu is sitting in a hot spot. OC won't matter unless you added voltage, which normally you do not need to. The OC only applies to the upper load limits and max boosts.

Insufficient airflow will cause the vrms/vram to overheat, especially if pushing higher voltage OC at maximum loads, so seeing 87°C on the gpu, you can expect the vrms/vram to be pushing 90-100°C, if not more.

Freezes, black screens are very common as are artifacts at those temps.

Seriously advise to return the card to stock and just let it do its normal 108% gaming OC levels in the software at most.

You can also drop temps by tailoring the game settings per game instead of running global settings like Ultra. There's multiple frivolous bs like cloud density and lighting affects that get auto set at that ultra setting that have almost 0 visual affects when set to medium, but are brutal on the gpu for no real gain.

firstslayer09

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Gpus usually 'idle' at @ 3ish °C ± above the cpu. So if it's at 50 and the cpu isn't, you have an airflow issue, the gpu is sitting in a hot spot. OC won't matter unless you added voltage, which normally you do not need to. The OC only applies to the upper load limits and max boosts.

Insufficient airflow will cause the vrms/vram to overheat, especially if pushing higher voltage OC at maximum loads, so seeing 87°C on the gpu, you can expect the vrms/vram to be pushing 90-100°C, if not more.

Freezes, black screens are very common as are artifacts at those temps.

Seriously advise to return the card to stock and just let it do its normal 108% gaming OC levels in the software at most.

You can also drop temps by tailoring the game settings per game instead of running global settings like Ultra. There's multiple frivolous bs like cloud density and lighting affects that get auto set at that ultra setting that have almost 0 visual affects when set to medium, but are brutal on the gpu for no real gain.
how can i take your advice and return the card to stock levels when i bought it like this. i havent done any oc in Afterburner.

i can see how airflow can be a problem. the way my case is setup i dont believe i can add another fan near the GPU. someone recommended i replace the thermal paste. is that also another viable option?

thank you for the replies!

p.s if it helps, this is the case i have.

Last edited:
how can i take your advice and return the card to stock levels when i bought it like this. i havent done any oc in Afterburner.

i can see how airflow can be a problem. the way my case is setup i dont believe i can add another fan near the GPU. someone recommended i replace the thermal paste. is that also another viable option?

thank you for the replies!

p.s if it helps, this is the case i have.
Yes replacing the thermal paste can help. But in the op you said you changed the max temps allowed to literally the max temp Out of the gpu like @Karadjgne said this could be causing the vram to over heat and fry

firstslayer09

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Yes i meant i changed the max temp limit to 87c to see if it can reach that temp and it can. but after i left it back to the default 83c temp limit on afterburner.

also i replaced the paste with arctic mx-4 and nothing changed. im getting the exact same temperatures.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's good and bad. Good because you now have very good paste for a gpu and have checked off one possible cause definitely off the list. Bad cuz you still have an issue.

I know that case comes with led fans, how many and where are they? Any other fans?