Question Can I add a Case fan to my old PC ?

RishabhfromIND

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
I have desktop from Dell Inspiron 620s with ATI RADEON HD 6450 1GB DDR3 , INTEL pentium G620 and 4GB RAM.

I want to add an extra case fan to my pc for extra cooling. I am worried if i can do this or not.

That looks like a half height case, fitting fan might be a challenge on an OEM case like that. I would take the side panel off and see if there are any factory locations for a fan.

If you need more speed, I'd upgrade that crappy pentium cpu asap to a core i5 from the Ivy Bridge generation. Something like a core i5 3330 can be purchased cheap on ebay for $40. Combine that with an SSD hard drive for $40 and you'll have a decently quick computer for light gaming, school or office work. I bet your system feels like a dog right now. Just be sure to update to the latest DELL bios for that motherboard, before upgrading.

RishabhfromIND

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
That looks like a half height case, fitting fan might be a challenge on an OEM case like that. I would take the side panel off and see if there are any factory locations for a fan.

If you need more speed, I'd upgrade that crappy pentium cpu asap to a core i5 from the Ivy Bridge generation. Something like a core i5 3330 can be purchased cheap on ebay for $40. Combine that with an SSD hard drive for $40 and you'll have a decently quick computer for light gaming, school or office work. I bet your system feels like a dog right now. Just be sure to update to the latest DELL bios for that motherboard, before upgrading.

Thanks. I already have ROG laptop so I dont want to waste money on this crap. I have a 40mm X 40mm fan and I am worried if the PSU power is enough.

Power shouldn't be an issue, fans can use an extra molex or sata power connector from the power supply. If you don't have an extra one inside, you can just use a Y splitter for one those, and join it with another fan or CD drive or something low power.

I don't think those parts I suggested are crap. I just upgraded my fathers PC, he had a crappy pentium and a mechanical hard drive. After using it to help him buy some stuff online. It was frustratingly slow. I slapped in a core i5 3470 and a 128gb ssd and his computer went from zero to hero for less than $80. Those 2 parts will completely modernize your PC and make it actually usable without being frustrated.

FANS also don't use slots. They mount with 4 screws. YOU have to open the side panel and look for yourself to see if there's another empty mounting point. Most people on this forum build their own PC and builder cases have plenty of fan mounting points. You have an OEM half height PC, which almost no one on TOMS uses.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@gggplaya
Be nice...

Op. Fans use very little power, even crappy fans only use about 3w, so you could add 5 fans in your pc and barely make a dent in power.

While not exactly polite about it, gggplaya did make some valid points, how you power the fan depends upon what it needs. Some fans are big 4pin molex, some are small 3 or 4 pin motherboard connectors. There's enough power in a motherboard connector for 2 fans with a splitter.

You can mount a fan anywhere and it's going to help, I've seen plenty of ppl with those micro-towers use zip-ties to hold the fan to the plastic facia inside, just so the fan can suck air through the gaps. There's even exhaust fans that fit in the slots at the back of the pc by the video card, (regardless of what gggplaya believes) but they are loud and not very good quality mostly.

@gggplaya
Be nice...

Op. Fans use very little power, even crappy fans only use about 3w, so you could add 5 fans in your pc and barely make a dent in power.

While not exactly polite about it, gggplaya did make some valid points, how you power the fan depends upon what it needs. Some fans are big 4pin molex, some are small 3 or 4 pin motherboard connectors. There's enough power in a motherboard connector for 2 fans with a splitter.

You can mount a fan anywhere and it's going to help, I've seen plenty of ppl with those micro-towers use zip-ties to hold the fan to the plastic facia inside, just so the fan can suck air through the gaps. There's even exhaust fans that fit in the slots at the back of the pc by the video card, (regardless of what gggplaya believes) but they are loud and not very good quality mostly.

What did I say that wasn't polite??? All I did was offer good advice.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
What did I say that wasn't polite??? All I did was offer good advice.

ΤΒΗ he is right. He didn't even point out, out of politeness, that the OP is well, not very smart, because he has a laptop for gaming and a desktop for occupying space on his desk.

Given a choice, a desktop should ALWAYS be your primary gaming machine and a laptop just a solution for work or for when you are outta town.

Dedicating gaming on a laptop when you could game on a desktop is not smart because laptops aren't made for heavy gaming and then inevitably deliver the ghost, whereas a desktop system with even very cheap components can withstand daily heavy gaming for years and never ever fail.

RishabhfromIND

Prominent
Mar 5, 2019
Thanks Guys. I will See what I can do now. I ordered 2 70mm fans and I will attach one on panel and other at back. Lets see if it works. I am thinking of using screws or rubber screws.