[SOLVED] Can I ByPass Router?

tel51

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
I have Verizon FiOS and am using my own router. Internet speeds have been about 100/100 vs 300/300 plan. Verizon says it could be my router and wants to send a tech for $99 service call. I'd like to do a speed test bypassing the router. Could I remove the FiOS to Router Ethernet cable and plug it directly into my laptop and then run a speed test. That way I could eliminate the router as an issue. Any other possible ways to eliminate the router as the problem without having a Verizon tech visit or buying a new router (which I could return if not the problem -- something I really don't want to do). By the way, one of the reasons I don't think the router is the problem is that I get 300/300 service some of the time -- if the router was the problem, I wouldn't expect to get my full paid-for speed at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
So I have not looked at asus factory firmware lately I run all merlin but that router has 1gbit wan/lan. If it runs like merlin it will show you the port speeds it negotiated both for lan and wan

It can either be the cable between the router and the ONT or the cable between the router and your PC. You might try a wifi device and see if the speedtest shows 94 on there also. That would mean it is the cable between the router and ont that is running at 100m.

It could be verizons issue if they set the ONT to 100m but highly unlikely. It is much more likely you just have a bad cable. Even the best quality cables can do bad but there are massive amounts of fake cable being sold, those flat cables in particular. Those...
It depends on how you have this hooked up. I assume you had verizon turn on the ethernet port on the ONT or do you have a verizon router that is connected via coax that you then hook your router to.

This looks like you have a ethernet cable that is defective and running at 100mbps rather than gigabit. Very important is the speed really 100 or is it something like 94 or 95. If it is in the 90's this is what a port running at 100mbps looks like because there is overhead for the mac addresses. If it is actually 100mbps or a bit higher it is something else.

In addition has this ever worked faster, does your router have gigabit wan and lan ports.

tel51

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
To answer a few of the questions asked:
Router: Asus RT-AC86U
Ethernet Port on ONT: Yes, turned on
Some recent speeds today: 94 to just under 100, both up and down. Checked with both Okla Speed Test and Verizon Speed Test (Verizon speed tests show speeds about the same to about 5Mbs higher, some slightly over 100 Mbs). I have been seeing speeds of around 300/300 at times during each day since I started noticing the speed slowdown. Most measurements were taken on a desktop connected via ethernet to the router which is connected via ethernet to the ONT. I get similar readings over WiFi on both an iPad and a laptop. All ethernet cables except those in the wall are premium cables less than a year old. I get approximately the same readings on a second desktop also connected by ethernet (obviously connected by different interior wall cables than the first desktop).

By the way, all indicator lights are green / white on both the router and the ONT. Router has been powered off and rebooted. Router is fully updated as are the Windows 11 systems.

Before setting up a Verizon tech appointment, I would like to be able to tell them that the problem is definitely theirs and, therefore, don't even think about charging me for a visit.

I think I've answered all the questions.

So I have not looked at asus factory firmware lately I run all merlin but that router has 1gbit wan/lan. If it runs like merlin it will show you the port speeds it negotiated both for lan and wan

It can either be the cable between the router and the ONT or the cable between the router and your PC. You might try a wifi device and see if the speedtest shows 94 on there also. That would mean it is the cable between the router and ont that is running at 100m.

It could be verizons issue if they set the ONT to 100m but highly unlikely. It is much more likely you just have a bad cable. Even the best quality cables can do bad but there are massive amounts of fake cable being sold, those flat cables in particular. Those fail much more often that a cable that has the proper wire size. You need pure copper cables with wire size 22-24. You only need cat5e but if you can not find the detailed information on the types of wires then find another vendor. The ones that sell certified cables make it a point to clearly state this information.

Solution

tel51

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017

It could be verizons issue if they set the ONT to 100m but highly unlikely. It is much more likely you just have a bad cable. Even the best quality cables can do bad but there are massive amounts of fake cable being sold, those flat cables in particular. Those fail much more often that a cable that has the proper wire size. You need pure copper cables with wire size 22-24. You only need cat5e but if you can not find the detailed information on the types of wires then find another vendor. The ones that sell certified cables make it a point to clearly state this information.
Turns out, you were absolutely correct. I decided to do speed tests at regular intervals and do them on the ethernet-connected devices as well as wifi devices. Turns out, only my ethernet-connected desktop was always in the 100/100 range. My wife's ethernet-connected desktop and our wifi gadgets pretty consistently showed 300/300 with only an occasional speed drop. Unplugged and re-plugged my cable running from the desktop to the wall - problem solved!!!:p I had recently changed out a wired gaming mouse and it was located right next to the ethernet cable on the back of my pc. I must have accidentally "jiggled" the ethernet connection causing a partially broken connection. Really appreciate your advice. By the way, I also run merlin on my asus router.

TRENDING THREADS