[SOLVED] Can I connect a GSYNC monitor and a VR headset to one display port?

Fleron

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Hey so I've got a 144hz gsync monitor that obviously uses a display port. However I would also love to be able to simultaneously use my Oculus Rift which also uses a display port. Problem is that my GPU only has one display port output.

So my question is.. is there some sort of splitter I can use? and will using that still allow the GSYNC and the 144hz to function as it did before? How about the VR headset? would it all work through a 2 to 1 splitter?

Solution
Unless it has changed recently, the G-Sync functionality doesn't work when using any kind of adaptor between the GPU DisplayPort and the monitor DisplayPort. 144Hz will be fine, but without G-Sync.

But any refresh rate you choose, will affect both displays equally when using a splitter, since all it does is duplicate the display signal. I am not familiar with VR hardware, but if it isn’t 144Hz capable, your monitor will be limited to whatever the VR headset is capable of.
G-Sync is a variable refresh rate technology, so you can’t have a splitter that sends a constant signal to one device and not the other, since the signal is just duplicated with the splitter, as previously mentioned.

However it has been a couple of years since I...
Unless it has changed recently, the G-Sync functionality doesn't work when using any kind of adaptor between the GPU DisplayPort and the monitor DisplayPort. 144Hz will be fine, but without G-Sync.

But any refresh rate you choose, will affect both displays equally when using a splitter, since all it does is duplicate the display signal. I am not familiar with VR hardware, but if it isn’t 144Hz capable, your monitor will be limited to whatever the VR headset is capable of.
G-Sync is a variable refresh rate technology, so you can’t have a splitter that sends a constant signal to one device and not the other, since the signal is just duplicated with the splitter, as previously mentioned.

However it has been a couple of years since I looked into that, so I can't say if someone has succesfully produced an adaptor / splitter that works with G-Sync.

But previously what you are thinking of wasn't possible, and I'm still pretty sure it isn't.

Last edited:
Solution