[SOLVED] Can I control access to 1 client using my WiFi.

pacs.lym

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I would like to let someone use an old laptop to connect through my WiFi. I am a gamer and I only have my PC (Hard wired) and Phone in use when gaming. If I allow another person access to my WiFi is there a way to easily turn that client off when I'm gaming? So only my allowed connections (My Rig & Phone) can use bandwidth when I'm gaming.
Thanks for reading :)

Solution
It depends on the router you have. If it has QOS(quality of service) or not. You can give the laptop a static reserved DHCP IP address. Then give it the lowest priority or even possibly limit her to say 10mbps. On my asus router, I can do that and limit the bandwidth based on percentage, so say limit it to 10% max bandwidth.

So you give both your computer and her computer a reserved DHCP IP address. You set up your QOS rules, then set your's to be the highest priority and hers to be the lowest priority.

See the example here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87u-adaptive-qos.20735/

pacs.lym

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
You could just disable the WiFi on the laptop if you're looking to keep the lap[top off your network. Make and model of your wireless router?
No She's an Older lady in the flat below me. I want her to be able use the internet. I just don't want any slow downs when I gaming.

Is there some free software that does that sort of thing.... dont know what the terminology is so not sure what to search for :)

Have no idea what make and model... it was supplied by SKY. :(

Last edited:
If your router has QoS you can do some things. It greatly depends on how fancy the QoS is and how much bandwidth you have to start with.

Unless your internet connection is very small you likely will have no issue doing nothing at all. Games use almost no bandwidth. If the other person is just doing web surfing or even watching standard definition netflix they will not use much bandwidth. It is the teenager you need to worry about they are the ones that would run torrent and open mulitple video streams at the same time.

The brute force method is to turn the wifi radio off on your router when you want it all to yourself.

pacs.lym

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I was hoping for a simple button on my PC to disable the one client.. :) Clearly not that simple but I'll give it a go and see if there is any affect/effect. Thanks you everyone. Great Help.

:)

It depends on the router you have. If it has QOS(quality of service) or not. You can give the laptop a static reserved DHCP IP address. Then give it the lowest priority or even possibly limit her to say 10mbps. On my asus router, I can do that and limit the bandwidth based on percentage, so say limit it to 10% max bandwidth.

So you give both your computer and her computer a reserved DHCP IP address. You set up your QOS rules, then set your's to be the highest priority and hers to be the lowest priority.

See the example here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87u-adaptive-qos.20735/

Solution

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
You should also be able to kick any connected client from your router's interface. Unless you blacklist her MAC address for your game time, tho, she can just reconnect.
In fancy routers you can even set times of day, where any given client can use the wi-fi.

TRENDING THREADS