[SOLVED] Can I damage a cpu by touching it under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Hello, I have a question.
I have an old cpu Intel Core 2 Quad but it doesnt have pins, if I touch it with my fingers can I damage it?
Because I heard that if I touch a cpu I can bend the pins and it will not work.

Solution
The contact points can still be damaged or destroyed if left exposed. Something could be dropped on it or set down on it. Just put the CPU in a static proof bag and place out of the way.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
CPUs without pins are quite a bit more difficult to damage mechanically than ones with pins.
However.....they still could be damaged by static (although this isn't that easy to do) ......so I would keep the "touching" to a minimum.
Thank you. But can I leave it on my table open and not touch it, can it be damaged from dust or should i cover it with something

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
You can leave it lay there for a long long time and it will be fine.
CPUs without pins are not that easy to damage.
So I dont need to cover it with anything, just leave it in my table and not touch it. And I mean leave in a table without the motherboard.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
The contact points can still be damaged or destroyed if left exposed. Something could be dropped on it or set down on it. Just put the CPU in a static proof bag and place out of the way.
If I dont drop anything in it can it be damaged from dust? Because I know if I drop something in it, it can be damaged but my question is can it be damaged from dust or is it bad leaving it open

I agree touching an LGA CPU isn't likely to inflict mechanical damage...but electrostatic discharge is still a real concern. If you must, as when you want to clean the contacts before installing, ground yourself first, before picking up the CPU. Placing one hand on the metal parts of your computer case should do it. And whatever you do, don't walk around with the CPU in your bare hand as that builds up static charges.

And dust isn't going to damage it but dirt on the contacts may make it unreliable once installed. Cleaning should fix that.

Don't leave it unpackaged, it should be either in the ESD package, installed in the system, or being transferred between the two. The guys on youtube tech channels have plenty of CPU's to throw around, don't look upon them as examplars of good practice.

Last edited:

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
I agree touching an LGA CPU isn't likely to inflict mechanical damage...but electrostatic discharge is still a reall concern. If you must, as when you want to clean the contacts before installing, ground yourself first, before picking up the CPU. Placing one hand on the metal parts of your computer case should do it. And whatever you do, don't walk around with the CPU in your bare hand as that builds up static charges.
Thank you very much for your answer I appreciate it. But my question was can I leave it without a motherboard in my table and not touch it. Can it still be damaged from anthing if I dont touch it, can it be damaged like from dust or something like that. Please answer this . Thank you !

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Why worry about it? Put it in an antistatic bag and be done. You should NEVER leave such things lying around unprotected anyway. It's just common sense.
I dont have an antistatic bag what should I do. And i cant put it in a motherboard because I think I accidentally damaged some pins.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Then as stated above, put it in a sandwich bag, or, wrap it in aluminium foil, then the bag, and place it out of the way. This isn't rocket science here.
Can I wrap it in aluminium foil then put it in a plastic bag
I thought I cant wrap it in aluminium foil, i thought it may damage it
And can I ship it in aluminium foil and in a plastic bag

Can I wrap it in aluminium foil then put it in a plastic bag
I thought I cant wrap it in aluminium foil, i thought it may damage it

How long will it be left out of the system? Just wrap it in a piece of plain paper and set that in a small saucepan with a lid if you just need some temporary place to keep it and don't have an ESD safe bag. Aluminum foil's OK too, but no need to waste it.

But any bag that any of your computer equipment came in is probably ESD safe...like the bag your GPU, motherboard, drives.

If going to ship it I'd definitely wrap it in plain paper first, then in aluminum foil if you don't have an ESD safe package. You don't know what it might experience so being in a faraday bag (that's what the ESD safe bag is considered) protects it against discharge. Aluminum foil is about the best you can do without that.

Tini

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
How long will it be left out of the system? Just wrap it in a piece of plain paper and set that in a small saucepan with a lid if you just need some temporary place to keep it and don't have an ESD safe bag. Aluminum foil's OK too, but no need to waste it.

But any bag that any of your computer equipment came in is probably ESD safe...like the bag your GPU, motherboard, drives.

If going to ship it I'd definitely wrap it in plain paper first, then in aluminum foil if you don't have an ESD safe package. You don't know what it might experience so being in a faraday bag (that's what the ESD safe bag is considered) protects it against discharge. Aluminum foil is about the best you can do without that.
Okay so I am gonna wrap it with plain paper and then aluminium foil. Thank You !

Status
Not open for further replies.