[SOLVED] Can I delete the "System Reserved" Volume from my 3TB hard disk drive?

Apr 28, 2019
I have a 3TB hard disk drive and It turns out that I need to delete all of the partitions of this drive to be able to convert it to a GPT Disk, so I can use all of the 3TB (currently only able to use 2TB). I was wondering if the system reserved partition is required for Windows to work properly. This disk isn't where Windows 10 is installed, as I have installed it onto an M.2 SSD.
Basically asking, is it okay to delete the "System Reserved" partition?
Thanks!

Solution
Execute these commands from elevated command prompt:
( c: is shrinked, new bootloader partition is created, made active and bootloader files are copied onto it)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

After this is done, disconnect HDD and verify, you can boot from SSD.
Reconnect HDD, adjust boot sequence in BIOS.
Now you can clean your HDD and change partitioning scheme.
Apr 28, 2019
when you install windows 10 on the m.2 ssd, did you have the hdd plug in?
can test it by unplug the hdd and test if the m.2 still boot.
Currently away from home right now, but I will unplug my HDD when I get back home. My Windows still boots up, does that mean it's okay to delete "System Reserved?"

Apr 28, 2019
Unfortunately, when I take out the HDD, the system asks me to select the proper boot device, meaning that I cannot boot up windows properly without the HDD.

D

Deleted member 14196

so do NOT delete that partition on the HDD. you left that HDD attached and powered on when you installed windows to the m.2

D

Deleted member 14196

there are other gurus who could help you through that. I am too rusty for that. Others here will most likely help you.

I would back up my data and do a clean install following these instructions. Do not have any drive hooked up or powered on except the m.2 when you install. After successful install and configuration (drivers/etc), then you power off and hook up the HDD and then you can do what you want.

But that is just me. However, lots of folks are complaining about stuttering in games after clean install, so, it's up to you. Best of luck.

Apr 28, 2019
Show us a
rSdKHTM.png
screenshot from Disk Management.
Essentially you'd have to create a new bootloader partition on your SSD for it to be bootable without HDD present.
Disk 0 is my 3TB HDD. I can use 2TB, but I cannot use the other 1TB. Disk 1 is my 500GB M.2 SSD, with Windows 10 installed onto it.

Execute these commands from elevated command prompt:
( c: is shrinked, new bootloader partition is created, made active and bootloader files are copied onto it)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 1
shrink desired=500
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active
assign letter=H
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:

After this is done, disconnect HDD and verify, you can boot from SSD.
Reconnect HDD, adjust boot sequence in BIOS.
Now you can clean your HDD and change partitioning scheme.

Solution
Apr 28, 2019
Right.
But I generally don't recommend a specific series of steps like that, if I've not done it personally.
Just a quick update, I'm pretty sure I managed to transfer all the important stuff from systems reserved. By using Easy BCD, the software automatically transferred the boot device and made it the C drive (my SSD). I am currently typing this with my HDD plugged out of my PC so, unlike before, the system now boots without the HDD. Does this mean it is safe for me to delete the systems reserved volume from my HDD?

Apr 28, 2019
Alright, guys, I have solved the issue. My HDD is now using its full 3TB of storage and the system now boots from the SSD.

Huge thanks to everyone who took their time out of their days to help me fix this issue. I really do appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 14196

you should pick the winning answer, I upvoted one but you get to choose, that will show other users this issue is solved and show the correct answer you pick.

May 11, 2019
Currently away from home right now, but I will unplug my HDD when I get back home. My Windows still boots up, does that mean it's okay to delete "System Reserved?"
You can delete the system reserve file no problem but if u have a system error issue you would need to reinstall instead of doing a repair as u have no backup of files your best of doing a backup of your system on a DVD-RW disc or and external hdd/ssd drive.