[SOLVED] Can I downgrade BIOS the same way I update them using M-Flash? (MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX)

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Edit : 06/13/21 - I downgraded the BIOS using M-Flash like it was no big deal. My paranoia is getting the best of me these days.

I want to roll back to a BIOS from last year, I recently updated my BIOS from that version to the latest one and I've been having lot of issues.

Random crashes and my RAM OC is unstable and I have to run it at 2400Mhz instead of its 3200Mhz capability.

Specs :
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • RX 5600 XT
  • TeamGroup TUF VulcanZ 16GB 3200Mhz
  • B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX (link for BIOS versions)
This is what I want to do -

• I'm currently on 7B86vHC - 2021-05-25
  • Want to downgrade to 7B86vH7 - 2020-07-24
Please let me know if you have tried similar stuff on similar MSI boards. I dont want to brick the board, I'm pretty broke and I can not afford another board anytime soon.

Last edited:
Solution
You should be able to

link - it mentions not being able to here but I don't see any notes on actual bios page about it.

think you use the flash button on back of board
Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive. Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.
  1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should be able to

link - it mentions not being able to here but I don't see any notes on actual bios page about it.

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive. Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.
  1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously.

page 40 - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v3.1.pdf

Last edited:
Solution
I want to roll back to a BIOS from last year, I recently updated my BIOS from that version to the latest one and I've been having lot of issues.

Random crashes and my RAM OC is unstable and I have to run it at 2400Mhz instead of its 3200Mhz capability.

Specs :
  • Ryzen 5 2600
  • RX 5600 XT
  • TeamGroup TUF VulcanZ 16GB 3200Mhz
  • B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX (link for BIOS versions)
This is what I want to do -

• I'm currently on 7B86vHC - 2021-05-25
  • Want to downgrade to 7B86vH7 - 2020-07-24
Please let me know if you have tried similar stuff on similar MSI boards. I dont want to brick the board, I'm pretty broke and I can not afford another board anytime soon.
For some reason MSI imposes locks to prevent reverting BIOS's in certain circumstances. If you updated to the 'latest' one it might be a Ryzen 5000 BIOS so it makes sense if it doesn't work well with a 2000 series CPU, and it's also one they don't want you reverting from. What a nice trap they build.

I was in the same situation as I wanted to put a 1700 in a B450 Mortar that had a 3700X in previously but couldn't revert to the BIOS rev that works best with it. I did find a UEFI flash tool I got from the MSI forums that will allow reverting anyway.

Get it here

Full instructions are provided but you might have to register to download.

Last edited:

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
For some reason MSI imposes locks to prevent reverting BIOS's in certain circumstances. If you updated to the 'latest' one it might be a Ryzen 5000 BIOS so it makes sense if it doesn't work well with a 2000 series CPU, and it's also one they don't want you reverting from. What a nice trap they build.

How do I know that I'm in such BIOS rev? There were no indication on the site!

Will MSI give a notification when I try to downgrade or they'll just brick the thing without any indication?

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
You should be able to

3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously.
page 40 - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B86v3.1.pdf

I downgraded the BIOS using M-Flash like it was no big deal

Reactions: Colif
How do I know that I'm in such BIOS rev? There were no indication on the site!

Will MSI give a notification when I try to downgrade or they'll just brick the thing without any indication?
There was no indication in the BIOS update release notes for my board either. I suspected it might be, though, because I'd read where others had experienced this sort of then it when updating to a Ryzen 3000 BIOS and subsequently trying to revert.

When I tried to revert with M-Flash I received a message 'No valid BIOS found', it did NOT simply brick the board. When I tried with the flash-back button it would just flash the activity LED a few times rapidly then stop.

At any rate, good news you got yours reverted with no problems.