[SOLVED] Can I Install A Fresh Copy of Windows 10 on a Partition?

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hi there,

I'm looking to reset my Windows PC back to factory defaults but I don't actually have a recovery partition, the solution I've found was to install windows only a memory stick and reset the PC using that.

Without using a memory stick, would it be possible to create a partition and install a fresh copy there instead (sort of an impromptu recovery partition), and then use that partition to reset Windows?

Is that all a recovery partition is? Just a partition with Windows installed on it.

Thank you!

Solution
Clean install works out faster than a reset. True, you lose everything on the drive but I have seen too many resets fail. If you doing a factory reset you lose everything anyway.

Its funny how a thread that started as a reset now seems to be an update?

at least if he has it on USB, if it fails and rolls back he doesn't have to download it again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a recovery partition is usually an image of the complete drive as it came out of the box. not the same as a fresh install to copy from. but win 10 actually has the reset built in so none of those options are even needed for you

here's a quick guide to do it

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-factory-reset-windows-10

you can chose to keep your files or completely start fresh with a totally new and clean drive.

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
a recovery partition is usually an image of the complete drive as it came out of the box. not the same as a fresh install to copy from. but win 10 actually has the reset built in so none of those options are even needed for you

here's a quick guide to do it

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-factory-reset-windows-10

you can chose to keep your files or completely start fresh with a totally new and clean drive.
Hi there, I appreciate the response, unfortunately I've attempted resetting Windows through their built-in means, but I'm always told of some sort of error and that the changes made "are being reverted" .

Downloading a fresh install is my only option as far as I'm aware, that's why I was wondering if using a partition to install a fresh copy of Windows would work the same as using a memory stick.

I suppose I could just use a memory stick though.

Thank you again for the quick response. ;)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Clean install works out faster than a reset. True, you lose everything on the drive but I have seen too many resets fail. If you doing a factory reset you lose everything anyway.

Its funny how a thread that started as a reset now seems to be an update?

at least if he has it on USB, if it fails and rolls back he doesn't have to download it again.

Solution