[SOLVED] Can i make my router a wireless adapter?

lezmaster98

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Hello I have recently moved to my dad's apartment and I am currently having issues with my router that I brought with me from home. I am trying to configure the router to where it acts as a wireless adapter to connect to the internet, but to no avail. Back at home I had no issues because I was connected directly to the modem, now I am three rooms away from the modem and need some assistance to make my router an adapter if its possible. The router i have is a Netgear N7000 and my version of windows is Windows 10 Home edition.

Solution
You do not want to do it that way that is for a wifi repeater. To use it as a network adapter you want to follow the instructions in the manual for how to run it as a BRIDGE. All you need is the ssid and password.

Now if you have a wifi card in your pc already and you think putting a router in will somehow improve the signals that is not likely especially if you are going to put the router in the same room. It would need to be placed 1/2 between the main router and your room. In that case you would run it as a repeater. The mac addresses are generally the main router mac address but this can be tricky to setup sometime when the brands of equipment are not the same.

lezmaster98

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Hello Remeca, thank you for your reply. I am currently setting up the router and im at the last part of the process in which it is asking me for the MAC address. Is the MAC address it want from the computer or the modems or somewhere else because I tried my pc's MAC address and it crashed.

You do not want to do it that way that is for a wifi repeater. To use it as a network adapter you want to follow the instructions in the manual for how to run it as a BRIDGE. All you need is the ssid and password.

Now if you have a wifi card in your pc already and you think putting a router in will somehow improve the signals that is not likely especially if you are going to put the router in the same room. It would need to be placed 1/2 between the main router and your room. In that case you would run it as a repeater. The mac addresses are generally the main router mac address but this can be tricky to setup sometime when the brands of equipment are not the same.

Solution

Remeca

Reputable

You use the router as a repeater to connect it to the other wifi, you can still plug into it with Ethernet and use the connection.

OP, it is asking for the Mac address of the base station (modem or router.)

You use the router as a repeater to connect it to the other wifi, you can still plug into it with Ethernet and use the connection.

OP, it is asking for the Mac address of the base station (modem or router.)
Just because something will work does not mean it is the simplest and most effective way to do this. Just having the repeater function active will greatly degrade the performance compared to just using it as a bridge.