[SOLVED] Can i run a 144hz monitor on my laptop?

Apr 4, 2021
Hello!, i´ve been searching if i could run a monitor on a laptop with a 1.4HDMI port. My english is not great so in the answers i have encountered i became a little..lost. For what i understand, it seems that it depends on: Your HDMI port, the cable you get, and my graphics card. Thanks to the community very much in advance :).

-Tomás.

Here is my Pc specs:
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0001la
https://support.hp.com/ve-es/document/c06043349?docNotFound=true

And here is the Monitor i want to buy:
Lenovo G25-10 (65FEGAC2CL)

Solution
Your laptop has Hdmi 1.4. Monitor doesn't stipulate that DP is required for maximum refresh rate. Hdmi 1.4 has no problem doing 144Hz at 1080p.

I'd get the monitor anyway and try Hdmi and one day maybe try Usbc to DP cable for freesync over DP support , that's if HP support can't give you a straight answer on what that USBc port can do and why they list DP 1.2 in the specs.
Apr 4, 2021
Seems the monitor can over Hdmi but your laptop + monitor has Displayport too, so you have another option if Hdmi doesn't do 144Hz for you.
Thanks!, i dont see a "displayport socket", does this cable go in the HDMI port?. Would you be kind and show me exactly wich cable and where do i plug it?, it might be a stupid question but i just dont want to mess it up

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hp link ya provided mentions DisplayPort ™ 1.2 under external ports. Should be there as a separate port. Unless that's the wrong laptop model?

displayport-vs-HDMI.jpg

Reactions: eltomentra
Apr 4, 2021
Hp link ya provided mentions DisplayPort ™ 1.2 under external ports. Should be there as a separate port. Unless that's the wrong laptop model?

displayport-vs-HDMI.jpg
I double checked below my laptop and thats the exact model, i also double checked on google images and its the same laptop. you´re right! it says Displayport1.2, but im not spoting any separate ports. ¿Maybe the HDMI port can also recieve a displayport cable? or im missing something, all i can see is the HDMI, Ethernet, USB type C, and on the other side 2 Usbs.

Thanks for helping me!

EDIT: what if... https://ibb.co/Zx63g9d

Displayport to USB-c???

Apr 4, 2021
Im finding it very difficult acquiring the user manual. Being in another language doesn't help lol, google translate isn't being very friendly.

Possibly, does USB c port have a D logo next to it?

0rgU3.png
Sadly there is no D next to it :(
maybe you can find the user manual in english if you google the model

Here are my ports
https://ibb.co/bsRcyTz

EDIT: I found this image where it shows a type-c port without an icon and it says "Monitor with mini displayport"

https://www.google.com/search?q=dis...ve#imgrc=yKeCV8cocRP9yM&imgdii=M_v7DVbbaYL2rM

Apr 4, 2021
And the other side of the laptop? Anything like this?

closer-081014-3.png
There isn´t, maybe i should try to speak with someone at HP? we both know that probably might end nowhere haha.
Check again if you want to see it for yourself, i posted 2 links with both sides of the laptop in the previous reply.

EDIT: it says that my USB-C is:
USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge);

i would be quite happy with 120hz tbh, im used to 60

Apr 4, 2021
You can use HDMI for 1080p 144 Hz if the monitor supports it. HDMI can do 144 Hz @ 1080p, but the monitor plus laptop must have at least HDMI 1.3 version.
Its a 1.2 HDMI port, but the model says that my Type-c port contains a displayport 1.2, wich is also capable of that

EDIT: its a 1.4 HDMI, so 1080p 144hz is possible

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021
No display port there.

I´m maybe just gonna have to risk it trust the manufactorer? the website says (USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge). If display port 1.2 is capable of 1080p 144hz, it should work. 120hz would be fine too

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your laptop has Hdmi 1.4. Monitor doesn't stipulate that DP is required for maximum refresh rate. Hdmi 1.4 has no problem doing 144Hz at 1080p.

I'd get the monitor anyway and try Hdmi and one day maybe try Usbc to DP cable for freesync over DP support , that's if HP support can't give you a straight answer on what that USBc port can do and why they list DP 1.2 in the specs.

Solution
Apr 4, 2021

Thank you man :), you solved almost everything, i have a last question if you could help me. I will start with the HDMI port to be sure everything is okay first, and when i have the money, i would buy a USB-C to DP. but only if that lets me get a higher resolution and still be within 120-144hz, ¿would that be possible?