[SOLVED] Can I run/have GlassWire and commodo fire wal at same time ?

Solution
It also bears repeating the old design adage: "Less is more."

More is not always, or even often, better once a sufficiency is present. Having one firewall, one security suite, and similar is generally best practice. It's fine to have multiple tools, if you so desire, that run strictly on-demand, but not to have multiple tools trying to run realtime protection at one time.

Not only do they often end up engaging in "a fight to the death" of the system, but even if they don't there's a big waste of resources with very little to be gained for it.

The best defense is developing safe habits for interacting with cyberspace. Most infections (regardless of whether by virus, malware, adware, spyware, etc.) come about as the result of...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's not really recommended to run any 2 firewalls at the same time, same as one shouldn't run 2 antivirus at the same time.
Being as they are geared towards security, they can end up conflicting with one another. That and there is no evidence that suggests multiple firewalls offer any more security.

Why do you want to run both?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
One really has to make exceptions, these days, to running Windows Firewall (or Windows Security) with another Firewall (or security suite) because Microsoft has gone to great pains to reconfigure the behavior of each of those things in light of a third party tool being installed. This is a very good thing.

The same cannot necessarily be said of two third-party products. I certainly wouldn't want to have two firewalls (or security/antivirus) running in full realtime mode and competing with each other. That's a recipe for bringing a system to its knees.

I do not know how Comodo and Glasswire may or may not interact with each other when both are installed. I do know that Glasswire and Windows Firewall play well together.

Reactions: PC Tailor

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
It also bears repeating the old design adage: "Less is more."

More is not always, or even often, better once a sufficiency is present. Having one firewall, one security suite, and similar is generally best practice. It's fine to have multiple tools, if you so desire, that run strictly on-demand, but not to have multiple tools trying to run realtime protection at one time.

Not only do they often end up engaging in "a fight to the death" of the system, but even if they don't there's a big waste of resources with very little to be gained for it.

The best defense is developing safe habits for interacting with cyberspace. Most infections (regardless of whether by virus, malware, adware, spyware, etc.) come about as the result of direct action taken by the end user. Humans are the weakest link in the security chain. You, any you, can make yourself a stronger link.

Quietman7, a security expert who is an active contributor on Bleeping Computer, has written extensively on what you (any you) need to do to develop safe interaction habits with cyberspace. The following four are, in my opinion, must-reads:

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
It's not really recommended to run any 2 firewalls at the same time, same as one shouldn't run 2 antivirus at the same time.
Being as they are geared towards security, they can end up conflicting with one another. That and there is no evidence that suggests multiple firewalls offer any more security.

Why do you want to run both?
You can certainly have Glasswire and Windows Firewall at the same time, as Glasswire works with WIndows Firewall...(more of a GUI add on/supplement to the existing WIndows Firewall)

I didn't know if glasswire was a full size firewall. I defiantly don't want 2 programs controlling ports/apps at same time. Soo should I disable windows firewall if I run glasswire ?

I have been trying to read thru that for the past few days. Its good stuff.

Last edited: