Question Can I run MoCA over Ethernet?

Jul 6, 2024
Not sure the right way to phrase this :) but I'm putting in a TV in a new addition and I really only want to run ethernet (Cat 7) to the new room. My Verizon FiOS set top box wants a coax connection (and optionally ethernet) to work. I'm wondering if I can run just stick a MoCA adapter on either end of the ethernet run to get that working or if it must be coax all the way...

This is what I'm looking to do, if I can:

TV <-- coax --> MoCA adapter <-- ethernet --> MoCA adapter <-- coax --> coax splitter <-- coax --> FiOS Router <--> ONT

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Not sure the right way to phrase this :) but I'm putting in a TV in a new addition and I really only want to run ethernet (Cat 7) to the new room. My Verizon FiOS set top box wants a coax connection (and optionally ethernet) to work. I'm wondering if I can run just stick a MoCA adapter on either end of the ethernet run to get that working or if it must be coax all the way...

This is what I'm looking to do, if I can:

TV <-- coax --> MoCA adapter <-- ethernet --> MoCA adapter <-- coax --> coax splitter <-- coax --> FiOS Router <--> ONT

Thanks!
Yes, that will work. That is pretty much how my house is wired.

But...."Cat7".
Link to this cable you (hopefully have not yet) bought?

Jul 6, 2024
Haven't bought anything yet. I've an old roll of Cat 6 lying around but I would prefer to future proof the pull as much as possible, given I won't be able to easily change it later. I'd like to support at least 10Gbps, more if I can get it. I work from home and pull very large files for work regularly, so I'm always looking for capacity :)

USAFRet

Titan
Haven't bought anything yet. I've an old roll of Cat 6 lying around but I would prefer to future proof the pull as much as possible, given I won't be able to easily change it later. I'd like to support at least 10Gbps, more if I can get it. I work from home and pull very large files for work regularly, so I'm always looking for capacity :)
Likely your Cat 6 is fine for 10gbps.

Be advised there is a LOT of fake "Cat 7" out there.
Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Network-Gigabit-Shielded/dp/B00QV1F1C4

Jul 6, 2024
Yeah, the cat 7 mess is why I've not bought anything yet. My runs are going to be 100-150 ft, so maybe I just cross my fingers on the cat 6 and mount the run in a way I can replace it later, if necessary. A little more finicky, but probably cheaper in the long run.

Jul 6, 2024
Well, my experiment was not a success. While I was able to get the STB to complete set up and I can view guide data fine, I cannot watch any TV channel. I think I'm back to running coax :confused: