[SOLVED] Can I safely use RX 470 and Xeon E3 1240 v2 on a Dell Optiplex 9010 motherboard?

Jul 2, 2022
Current specs

Optiplex 9010 motherboard (don't know model number msinfo doesn't show anything)
275 WATT PSU
i3 3220 3.30ghz
GTX 1050ti

Want to upgrade to
500 WATT PSU
Xeon 1240 v2
Rx 470 4GB
500 WATT PSU

While keeping the same motherboard. Is it possible and is it safe?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which SKU of the Dell OptiPlex 9010 do you have?
OriginalJPG

You'll have a tough time managing the SFF version of the board in an off the shelf chassis, not to mention that the CPU cooler will be bespoke to the board, due to the connector.

Apart from that, you should be good to go with an off the shelf PSU, though please look at a 550W or higher wattage, reliably built PSU if you want to pair an RX470 or their ilk on that platform...

Lutfij

Titan

OriginalJPG

You'll have a tough time managing the SFF version of the board in an off the shelf chassis, not to mention that the CPU cooler will be bespoke to the board, due to the connector.

Apart from that, you should be good to go with an off the shelf PSU, though please look at a 550W or higher wattage, reliably built PSU if you want to pair an RX470 or their ilk on that platform.

500 WATT PSU
Wattage isn't everything when choosing a PSU, though.

Look at this;
if you're working with just the motherboard. If you're working with the prebuilt OptiPlex, the card will not fit inside the SFF version of the prebuilt.

As for your processor, might want to stick to the specsheet for the prebuilt;
https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...ments/en/aa/Dell_OptiPlex_9010_spec_sheet.pdf

Reactions: Ionics.
Solution
Jul 2, 2022

OriginalJPG

Apart from that, you should be good to go with an off the shelf PSU, though please look at a 550W or higher wattage, reliably built PSU if you want to pair an RX470 or their ilk on that platform.

500 WATT PSU
Wattage isn't everything when choosing a PSU, though.

Look at this;
if you're working with just the motherboard. If you're working with the prebuilt OptiPlex, the card will not fit inside the SFF version of the prebuilt.

As for your processor, might want to stick to the specsheet for the prebuilt;
https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...ments/en/aa/Dell_OptiPlex_9010_spec_sheet.pdf

- @Lutfij
Thank you!

I have the right most build i.e the biggest one; (MT - Mid Tower?)

I will definitely take a look at other aspects of the PSU when choosing one (learning about the 80 ratings rn). Thanks for the specs sheet I will refer to it.

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what I gathered you are saying that I should be good to go with my current motherboard & chassis (since it is the biggest 9010 build) pairing it with an Rx 470 and a suitable PSU. Heard some people in different forums saying prebuilt OptiPlex motherboards can damage GPUs, but that isn't true right? I am on a very tight budget, and saving up by not buying a mobo if I absolutely don't have to can really help.

Thanks again.

Last edited: