[SOLVED] Can I set a specific pagefile size on C and system managed on D?

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Hello, I've been wondering about something... Yesterday I noticed that my PC doesn't save memory dumps after a BSOD because I completely moved the pagefile from the SSD to my HDD.. I was wondering if setting the pagefile size on my SSD from 16MB to 1915MB and "System managed" on my HDD is a good idea. I never really understood what having multiple pagefiles does. If the pagefile on the SSD fills up, will it start writing on the HDD or could it still cause problems like when you don't have one at all?
I would like to preserve my SSD's lifespan as much as possible.
Just for information in case someone asks, I have 8GB of RAM and do 3D renders which sometimes bring the RAM usage to 70+%

Solution
Magician would be the software I would use to check it, and if its showing as 100% health I really wouldn't worry.

I use HD Sentinel to track my storage health and according to it I have written 28.68TB (power on time = 1010 days) in that time and its showing as excellent. I couldn't see the scores in Magician.

If you only have windows on the ssd and have everything else on another hdd, the ssd hardly gets used for writing. It just gets lots of reads. And I don't think that wears them out.

Getting more ram will mean you don't need to think about page file. I have mine set to auto, it could use 16gb if it wanted to, but its actual size is 1gb. As stated, windows doesn't use it unless it has to.
Set pagefile to 16MB on C: (for memory dumps) and
1GB initial, 16GB max on other drive.

Multiple pagefiles are treated as one bigger pagefile.
Consider getting more ram for your pc. Then pagefile is used significantly less. With enough ram it doesn't get used almost at all.

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Consider getting more ram for your pc. Then pagefile is used significantly less. With enough ram it doesn't get used almost at all.
Yeah I know, I was eventually going to upgrade to 16GB since 8GB barely is enough nowadays.
SSD lifespan is NOT an issue. Has not been for years.
Leave the pagefile on the SSD, and no need to also have it on the HDD. No matter what size or System Managed.
I see... I saw that the samsung 850 EVO 250GB (which is the SSD I currently have) starts failing quickly so I've been trying to reduce the read/write as much as possible since I can't afford buying a new one every couple of years

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is your drive showing those signs or you just read it somewhere? I have a 5 year old Evo 850 250 in this PC and its still showing as excellent. Its not like it doesn't get used every day either.

win 10 only uses page file if it runs out of ram, and its the 2nd stage as well, it compresses program data into ram if you close the program, it only writes that data to page file if you really need the ram its compressed into.

Moving it onto hdd will only make PC slower, at least the ssd speed is better than a hdd, neither as good as more ram.

Last edited:

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
Is your drive showing those signs or you just read it somewhere
I read it somewhere, I don't even know what the signs of a failing ssd would be other than it being slower. I have the ssd since probably one and a half years and Samsung magician says in this time I wrote 4TB with health at 100%

Colif

Win 11 Master
Magician would be the software I would use to check it, and if its showing as 100% health I really wouldn't worry.

I use HD Sentinel to track my storage health and according to it I have written 28.68TB (power on time = 1010 days) in that time and its showing as excellent. I couldn't see the scores in Magician.

If you only have windows on the ssd and have everything else on another hdd, the ssd hardly gets used for writing. It just gets lots of reads. And I don't think that wears them out.

Getting more ram will mean you don't need to think about page file. I have mine set to auto, it could use 16gb if it wanted to, but its actual size is 1gb. As stated, windows doesn't use it unless it has to.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmaTheFox
Solution

SigmaTheFox

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017

Alright, I guess I'll move the pagefile back to the ssd then. Thanks a lot :)

TRENDING THREADS