[SOLVED] Can I support 120hz or144hz free-sync monitor on HDMI 2.0b with my gtx 1650 or Display port is mandatory?

Apr 25, 2021
My laptop (Asus ROG G531GT-BQ024T) does not have a USB 3.2 Type-C with display port and only got a HDMI 2.0b port.
My laptop only has 60hz and I was planning to move to 120hz or144hz monitor, but I read somewhere that nvidia gpu need display port to optimize free-sync and wont work with hdmi. My main interest is to be able play CSGO on 60hz+.
Would I be able to increase my hz by that hdmi port or by using any adapter? Any other solution would be helpful.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes Displayport is required for Freesync with Nvidia gpu's. This will change with Hdmi 2.1.

You can still run high refresh rates monitors with Hdmi though, just get one specifying it can.
Apr 25, 2021
Yes Displayport is required for Freesync with Nvidia gpu's. This will change with Hdmi 2.1.

You can still run high refresh rates monitors with Hdmi though, just get one specifying it can.
Thanks a lot for the crucial information.

Now I think its of no use to spend extra bucks to get a G-sync compatible Monitor since I cant use free-sync anyway. It would work the same as one which is cheap and not G-sync compatible right (obv considering they have same hz).

Apr 25, 2021
Yeah refresh rate will work as advertise even if it's got Freesync. Most monitors have Freesync nowadays, so if find a cheapish monitor and is Freesync capable, it wouldn't be a deterrent and still work as normal.
Got it.
It would be helpful if you can suggest monitors that can run 144hz and is not capped at 120hz since I am reading many reviews like "can only do 120hz over HDMI."

Available Monitors in my market that I am considering:

1.) ViewSonic VX2458-C-MHD
2.) Acer KG241QS
3.) Acer Nitro VG240Y S
4.) LG Ultragear 24GL600F

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: samjr