Sauce109

Commendable
Jul 25, 2019
I have an hp omen obelisk 875-0034 and I am wondering if I can upgrade my 1660ti to an etc 2070 or 2060 super. Also, will I have enough ventilation because I raised the computer off the ground so it could ventilate more.

Solution
I'd say no, because:
1)You're already cpu limited with the single 16GB stick of memory. Fixes for this is the following:
-add another 16GB stick - not recommended, due to ram lottery
-get a new 2x 8GB kit
-get a new 2x 16GB kit

2)The current 500w psu. This is below the 2060 Super's 550w recommendation, and far below the 2070 Super's 650w one.
Granted, it is possible to run gpu's with psus below the recommendation(which is for liability purposes on the company's end), but I do not have confidence in prebuilt psus, which are only really 'just enough' for their stock configurations.
The moment you start adding, or upgrading things, you can run into problems.

3)That case looks like a sauna! I wouldn't bother trying to put any stronger...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say no, because:
1)You're already cpu limited with the single 16GB stick of memory. Fixes for this is the following:
-add another 16GB stick - not recommended, due to ram lottery
-get a new 2x 8GB kit
-get a new 2x 16GB kit

2)The current 500w psu. This is below the 2060 Super's 550w recommendation, and far below the 2070 Super's 650w one.
Granted, it is possible to run gpu's with psus below the recommendation(which is for liability purposes on the company's end), but I do not have confidence in prebuilt psus, which are only really 'just enough' for their stock configurations.
The moment you start adding, or upgrading things, you can run into problems.

3)That case looks like a sauna! I wouldn't bother trying to put any stronger gpus in there - and if you're already raising it off the floor to try to help temps... that's not looking good.
Cooling performance is only going to be as good as the weakest link. In this situation, that link is the bad design of that case.
It sure looks nice, IMO, but performance was sacrificed to do it(style).

Solution

elitemasta3000

Commendable
Oct 16, 2018
I have an hp omen obelisk 875-0034 and I am wondering if I can upgrade my 1660ti to an etc 2070 or 2060 super. Also, will I have enough ventilation because I raised the computer off the ground so it could ventilate more.
Maybe and here is why, you might be able to do a 2060 super as long as your not overclocking due to the PSU but temps will be a problem. If you get a 2060 super, make sure it has REALLY good cooling, get an expensive one to make sure it works. You may need to get a new PSU but that shouldn't be a problem. RAM being single channel may also cause problems, I am not experienced with single channel ram at all so I don't know the performance difference but from what I can tell, as long as you get a power efficent well cooled 2060 super it might work.

TRENDING THREADS