[SOLVED] Can I upgrade my old computer to Windows 10?

Jackey Force

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Hey guys I have an old computer which is about 8 years old I guess which runs the following hardware....
CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.70GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2
G31 mobo
500GB HDD
and it is currently running windows 7 ultimate and I am thinking to get windows 10 on it because support for windows 7 will end soon.. what do you guys think can it handle win10 or it should keep on running 7. :)

Solution
Hey guys I have an old computer which is about 8 years old I guess which runs the following hardware....
G31 mobo
500GB HDD
and it is currently running windows 7 ultimate and I am thinking to get windows 10 on it because support for windows 7 will end soon.. what do you guys think can it handle win10 or it should keep on running 7. :)

I would upgrade the win 7 install to win 10 as it will use the drivers currently installed. It would also upgrade your win 7 key to win 10 so that you could use it in any future installs of 10.

Is it win 7 32bit or 64bit? I ask as the 8gb of ram suggestion won't help if you only running 32bit. You would need to clean install win 10 as 64bit to...

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
Yeah, it should be ok with windows 10. I strongly recommend you to buy a SSD disk and put windows in there. You can find the 120GB Kingston A400 for $20 and its totally worth since your system will startup much faster and the windows speed will much better.

Reactions: herrwizo

Colif

Win 11 Master
G31 mobo
500GB HDD

I would upgrade the win 7 install to win 10 as it will use the drivers currently installed. It would also upgrade your win 7 key to win 10 so that you could use it in any future installs of 10.

Is it win 7 32bit or 64bit? I ask as the 8gb of ram suggestion won't help if you only running 32bit. You would need to clean install win 10 as 64bit to use the 8gb.

ssd will just show how much slower rest of PC is but its a reasonable idea, as it sure beats a hdd for speed.

Solution

Jackey Force

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Is it win 7 32bit or 64bit? I ask as the 8gb of ram suggestion won't help if you only running 32bit. You would need to clean install win 10 as 64bit to use the 8gb.

ssd will just show how much slower rest of PC is but its a reasonable idea, as it sure beats a hdd for speed.
Cutrently i m running windows 7 64-bit

Colif

Win 11 Master
So I would do as I suggested in 1st sentence, upgrade the current install to win 10 as it will use the win 7 drivers. SSD and more ram are upgrades you can do later :)

Win 10 is pretty good with ram, it will only use what is given to it, it can boot with a tiny amount of ram so 4gb isn't even close to its minimum. It does however function better with more.