Question Can I upgrade my power supply on a Dell G5? Should I?

May 24, 2021
Hello, I recently ordered a customized g5 from dell with the intel i5 10th gen and GTX 1660 super. I only bought 8 gb of ram aswell, thinking I could double later. Its just been shipping and I realized I only bought a 360w PSU. After googling, my machine should have a 450w PSU. I plan to buy one of amazon, is it possible to upgrade the G5? Is there a specific model I should go for? If someone could recommend a good power supply for 1660 super that I could use in dell g5, I would be grateful. Thank you! :)

popatim

Titan
While the Nvidia recommendation is 450w, it is not a requirement and the Dell PSU will run fine.
This Dell, like many before it, uses a proprietary PSU and would not accept an 'off the shelf' standard unit.
If you still want, you may be able to source the Dell 460w or 500w versions.

I found this in a Dell Forum thread
XPS 8940, part number for 500w power supply
Y7R0X 500W Chicony
99TPH 500W Liteon
5K7J8 500W Delta
Re: 500W 99TPH Liteon or 5K7JH Delta PSU, if your 2nd DP/N is a typo, and you mean 5K7J8, theses 8940 psu are interchangeable with G5 5090, both having 6 pin, 2x4 pin, 6+8 PCIe connectors.
just be careful buying third party refurbished psu. Make sure seller sends you label of actual item, and compare that with known genuine labels to verify authenticity. I have not see a genuine 99TPH label. There are genuine 5k7J8 on sale although a bit pricy. But if you are looking to buy from Dell which charges premium price, that might not be a thorny issue.

May 24, 2021
While the Nvidia recommendation is 450w, it is not a requirement and the Dell PSU will run fine.
This Dell, like many before it, uses a proprietary PSU and would not accept an 'off the shelf' standard unit.
If you still want, you may be able to source the Dell 460w or 500w versions.

I found this in a Dell Forum thread
Thank you :)

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Dell uses proprietary connectors and voltages on their PSU's and motherboards. You can't use any power supply that Dell doesn't install themselves. If the machine in question comes with multiple PSU options, then yes, they would be swappable, but you shouldn't try to use a standard ATX PSU (even if someone manages to create an adapter) in a Dell. It's too risky to try. The G5 5000 does have a 500W option from Dell, but finding one that has been removed from the chassis is the problem. These machines are still too new for people to have started scrapping them for parts in large numbers. There are a lot of these machines on ebay now that have had the video cards removed from them, but not all listings will tell you if they have the 360W or 500W PSU in them. Most of the ones I have seen, also use the F versions of Intel's chips, that don't have onboard video, which means that if you don't already have a video card to put in, you won't be able to use it until you do.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The only power supply you will be able to upgrade to is Dell's 500W unit, that they include with G5 and XPS 8940 systems that are sold with 3060Ti or 3070 graphics cards. Don't think that you will be able to install any 3060Ti or 3070 in that system, though. Dell's OEM cards have lower power requirements than retail cards. The 3070, for example, only uses a single 8-pin connector and doesn't exceed 225W power draw. Retail cards require the 12-pin, an 8 and a 6, or two 8's, and draw higher than 225W under load. They will overload the 500W Dell PSU. The Dell 500W is 80+ Platinum rated to guarantee power delivery over a long period of time, however. It's a rare moment of Dell doing something right.