Status
Not open for further replies.

canwesimplifythis

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I have 8 SAS drives and would like to set up a RAID 1 on 4 of them. I would also like to use the extra 4 as an additional RAID 1 or automatic backup solution for the first RAID.

My gut feeling is that the above scenario is not needed and a RAID 6+1 would be the best way to go, but I'm very inexperienced with servers in general and never dealt with RAIDs beyond 4 drives.

Solution
I would look at what is on the floppy and download a nice new copy of that file and create a new driver disk -- email attachments are notorious for becoming corrupted.

RealBeast

Titan
It depends on your RAID controller, but most that will use SAS drives should be pretty flexible.

Remembering that RAID is not a replacement for backup, but a fault tolerant storage solution, I would probably go with RAID 6 with 8 drives. You could just use 7 of the drives and make one an online hot swap if you have lesser confidence in the drives.

canwesimplifythis

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

It is an Intel server and pretty sure the RAID controller is also Intel. Do you know how I would set it so 1 of them as a hot swap? I'm at the point of hitting F6 and finally got a USB floppy drive to proceed. Going to be a learning experience just setting the RAID 6. Thanks for your help!

RealBeast

Titan
Once you can enter the RAID controller you will see the options available for the array. In all of the controllers that I've used that had the option to designate hot swap drives it was apparent in the setup -- you would select the RAID type and drives and then could designate or even add later hot swap backup drives.

Once you complete the Windows install you should be able to see the RAID controller information when booting, and should try to download a manual for it when you have its ID.

canwesimplifythis

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Thanks very much, won't be able to try until tomorrow. Would you happen to know how to check the file integrity of the driver on the floppy disk? Intel sent me an email attachment and I loaded it on a 3.5" floppy, but after hitting F6 and pointing to it -- says "file corrupted"

edit: I'm worried it may be the Plug n Plug driver that is loaded for the floppy drive. This model comes with a mini-CDrom for proper installation, but of course that isn't an option here..

canwesimplifythis

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.